Old 01-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Unique Too

Default Your best and worst rose?

Cass writes:

Don't get me wrong. I love Clotilde, but Clotilde doesn't love me. I
think I got two blooms this year. I'm going to pot her up and move her
to a good home in the country, away from coast.

I bet you can grow Mme. Driout too? She ties Clotilde with one bloom
this year. Magenta makes it a trio of losers.

I haven't tried either one of these, but I'm looking them up today. I
almost fell for your Lavender Dream suggestion, read all about it, found a
supplier, everything. Then decided if Clotilde is awful for you and so good
for me, it might not be such a good idea. But who knows maybe you did your job
well anyway with Mme. Driout and Magenta, I'm off to see about these......
Old 01-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Cass

In article , Unique Too
wrote:

Cass writes:

Don't get me wrong. I love Clotilde, but Clotilde doesn't love me. I
think I got two blooms this year. I'm going to pot her up and move her
to a good home in the country, away from coast.

I bet you can grow Mme. Driout too? She ties Clotilde with one bloom
this year. Magenta makes it a trio of losers.

I haven't tried either one of these, but I'm looking them up today. I
almost fell for your Lavender Dream suggestion, read all about it, found a
supplier, everything. Then decided if Clotilde is awful for you and so good
for me, it might not be such a good idea.

I don't know how Lavender Dream handles heat. It would be a shame if
it fades or crisps or something.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:12 AM
Jane Lumley

My best this year are probably Callisto (who is lovely every year)
Gertrude Jekyll and (easiest of all) Natalie Nypels.

My worst this year is perhaps Desprez des fleurs jaunes, but it's not
altogether her fault - she's been mucked about by our horrible
neighbours and then attacked by caterpillars.

--
Jane Lumley
Old 02-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Cass

In article , Jane Lumley
wrote:

My worst this year is perhaps Desprez des fleurs jaunes, but it's not
altogether her fault - she's been mucked about by our horrible
neighbours and then attacked by caterpillars.

Oh, say it ain't so. I'm dying to have Jaune Desprez. I photographed a
rose on a commerical buidling that we think is Jaune Desprez:
http://www.rosefog.us/Resources/TamGlow.html

When I went back to collect cutting this summer, they had cut it down
to 18 inches.

Now I ask you: how can someone cut this down?
http://www.rosefog.us/Resources/WholeTamGlow.jpg

It grows in a 12 inch strip of soil by the gas meter in the tidal flood
zone that is under water at least 10 times a year.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Dave

On 29 Jul 2003 16:35:34 -0700, elfa wrote:

This has probably been asked before but I haven't seen it.

Anyone care to post their single BEST performing (not favorite) rose. The one
that consistantly produces blossoms with the least amount of hassle. The one
that you would recommend in good conscience to a first timer who didn't care
about color but just wanted a steady performer without having to 'baby' it.

Mine is Brandy...rock solid since last summer when I planted it. No fungus or
insects problems. Consistantly produces blooms.

How about the one rose you have that makes you want to get your money back. The
embarassment to your rose garden.

Mine is Sterling Silver. Wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. Gets the
same treatment as all the rest and has yet to produce any blooms this summer.
It just sits there like a bump on a log. I wish I could get back the $20 it
cost.

thanks

elfa

zone 9

Am in zone 7B. Worst is 2 JFKs with single canes & single white
roses. Best: For hardiness & blooms are Pristine & McCartney. These
answers should vary from zone to zone.
Piratedave

Old 04-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Jane Lumley

In article , Cass
writes
In article , Jane Lumley
wrote:

My worst this year is perhaps Desprez des fleurs jaunes, but it's not
altogether her fault - she's been mucked about by our horrible
neighbours and then attacked by caterpillars.

Oh, say it ain't so. I'm dying to have Jaune Desprez. I photographed a
rose on a commerical buidling that we think is Jaune Desprez:
http://www.rosefog.us/Resources/TamGlow.html

Well, as I said, it's not really her fault. She grows on a fence and
the vile neighbours have let vast weeds grow up on their side of it.
Also the caterpillar attack was bad. She also needs a warm spring. she
has flowered - she's not a dead loss - but she hasn't been as
floriferous as last year. Anyway her flowers are so beautiful that even
a few seem worth it.

Old 11-08-2003, 11:02 AM
CAROL HUTCHINNGS

The best one I have is Gertrude Jekyll. It flowers well, doesn't have
disease problems, and always looks good.
I don't have any bad ones at the moment!!!
Carol

Old 04-09-2003, 07:02 AM
Doris

My worst rose is also my best in some ways.

The White Rose Catalog describes it thusly:
Summer Sunset, Hybrid Tea
Luminous orange hues of this elegant rose resemble a summer sunset. Dark green
foliage. The best orange rose ever.

Only if your idea of best is Walmart. The colour is gaudy dayglo orange that
looks as if it's painted on. Ugly bugly. Non-existant scenty.

On the plus side, one stem produces a bouquet. The elongated buds are nicely
shaped, the stems are almost thornless, and perfect for cutting, and it's
extremely disease resistant. Always the last to get powdery mildew and such.
This is the one that the bugs are the least interested in. Looks better in a
vase than in the garden.

Go figure.

Doris

Old 05-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Tim Tompkins

My best and worst is Touch of Class which I would re-name 'Touch of Mildew'.
I 'shovel pruned' it this year as it was one of the first to show signs of
powdery mildew and REQUIRED that I use a preventative fungicide, otherwise
most of the garden would become infected.

It is a GREAT exhibitors rose, however in my opinoin just not worth the
trouble.

TT

Old 07-09-2003, 08:12 PM
FOW

I think my worst rose was Stainless Steel. Never got to big or took off. Had
to yank it after 5 years. I also yanked Sentimental. It got HUGE, I like
flower I can cut and keep in a vase for a while, it had flowers that would
fall apart too soon. My Sunset Celebration gets fungus and black spot real
bad also..

Old 15-09-2003, 01:16 PM
Registered User

Location: Scotland..West Coast

Quote:
Originally posted by elfa
[...]

Hi From Scotland. I think my all time favourite rose both here and my previous home in Ontario (Niagara Falls, zone 6) is by far, David Austin's Heritage. this rose has never failed me and when I came here, I planted one to see what would happen in this very cool and moist climate. I had a bit of blackspot the first year but the blooms were amazing. this year it has performed beautifully and has been blackspot free. It even took a first prize in the local garden show..which totally pleased me. It's fragrant, blooms constantly and is just an all around great rose. My close second is Zepherine Drouhin..a gorgeous climber, again prolific,, tolerates a bit of shade and has a great colour. The worst..and I'm sort of sad to include it..is anotherAustin, Evelyn. Maybe it's the climate here..but while she has an amazing scent and colour..the poor thing struggles and struggles and just doesn't do much.