Old 06-08-2003, 06:32 AM
Moyesii

Default RMV... What do you do after?

I have a climbing angel face that I ordered from Wayside Gardens this
spring. It has been growing well, but now shows clear signs of RMV.
What do you do after you find that one of your roses is virused? Do
you shovel prune or let it live its life out? The problem for me is
that most climbers take at least 3 years to establish and by that
time, I'm not sure what to expect from a virused rose in terms of
vigor and general performance. On the other hand, the plant looks to
be doing fine, and I'd hate to toss it.
Old 06-08-2003, 08:32 AM
Cass

In article , Moyesii
wrote:

I have a climbing angel face that I ordered from Wayside Gardens this
spring. It has been growing well, but now shows clear signs of RMV.
What do you do after you find that one of your roses is virused? Do
you shovel prune or let it live its life out? The problem for me is
that most climbers take at least 3 years to establish and by that
time, I'm not sure what to expect from a virused rose in terms of
vigor and general performance. On the other hand, the plant looks to
be doing fine, and I'd hate to toss it.

Depends on how the plant looks. I have a few that perform, flower and
are reasonably disease resistant. But if it gives me any problems, I
kill them fast.
Old 06-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Tim Tompkins

RMV can be tranmitted to another rose by the root system if they are close
enough that the root systems grow togather.

Many plant virus are spread by this means and the only way to ensure that
the disease does not spread is to be absolutely certain that the infected
plants roots don't involve other plants.

Tim

"Cass" wrote in message
.. .

Old 06-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Theo Asir

Wow! Do you have any research
to back that up.

Several of my plants are virussed
and grow close to plants that are
non virused.

As far as I know the only real
chance of virus spread is if you
don't sterilize your shears.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

"Tim Tompkins" wrote in message
RMV can be tranmitted to another rose by the root system if they are close
enough that the root systems grow togather.

Many plant virus are spread by this means and the only way to ensure that
the disease does not spread is to be absolutely certain that the infected
plants roots don't involve other plants.

Tim

"Cass" wrote in message
.. .

Old 06-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Moyesii

"Tim Tompkins" wrote in message ...
RMV can be tranmitted to another rose by the root system if they are close
enough that the root systems grow togather.

I've never heard of this happening before. Doesn't this imply that the
roots of different plants would somehow have to graft to each other?
It seems unlikely.

Old 06-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Shiva

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 07:05:36 -0600, "Tim Tompkins"
wrote:

RMV can be tranmitted to another rose by the root system if they are close
enough that the root systems grow togather.

Many plant virus are spread by this means and the only way to ensure that
the disease does not spread is to be absolutely certain that the infected
plants roots don't involve other plants.

Tim

Tim--while I am the first person to appreciate the power of an
authoritative tone, here yours is misplaced. This is nonsense. Post
proof or recant, please.

"Cass" wrote in message
. ..

Old 06-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Shiva

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:17:24 GMT, "Theo Asir"
wrote:

As far as I know the only real
chance of virus spread is if you
don't sterilize your shears.

NO way, Theo! You are telling me I can spread Rose Mosaic
Virus from my Sonia Rykiel to my other roses if I don't sterilize my
felcos?? Here is where I ask you to cite your source. If this is true
then RMV is a much bigger deal than I thought.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

"Tim Tompkins" wrote in message
RMV can be tranmitted to another rose by the root system if they are close
enough that the root systems grow togather.

Many plant virus are spread by this means and the only way to ensure that
the disease does not spread is to be absolutely certain that the infected
plants roots don't involve other plants.

Tim

"Cass" wrote in message
.. .

Old 06-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Anne Lurie

Here's a link to an article from the Central Florida Heritage Rose Society:
http://members.aol.com/mmmavocad3/Mosaic.html (It's from 1993, though, so
there could have been discoveries made since then.)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Theo Asir" wrote in message
Wow! Do you have any research
to back that up.

Several of my plants are virussed
and grow close to plants that are
non virused.

As far as I know the only real
chance of virus spread is if you
don't sterilize your shears.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

"Tim Tompkins" wrote in message
RMV can be tranmitted to another rose by the root system if they are

close
enough that the root systems grow togather.

Many plant virus are spread by this means and the only way to ensure

that
the disease does not spread is to be absolutely certain that the

infected
plants roots don't involve other plants.

Tim

"Cass" wrote in message
.. .

Old 06-08-2003, 10:05 PM
Unique Too

"Anne Lurie" writes:

Here's a link to an article from the Central Florida Heritage Rose Society:
http://members.aol.com/mmmavocad3/Mosaic.html (It's from 1993, though, so
there could have been discoveries made since then.)

I think Dr. Manners is considered the ultimate authority on RMV and to my
knowledge the article you mentioned is still the most current information
available. He lists an email address on his site, if anyone cares to ask him.
Or perhaps he will see this message title and respond here. He has been known
to post here on occasion.

Julie
Old 06-08-2003, 10:24 PM
Theo Asir

I can't find my original source but
if you google, a few sites do recommend
this as a conservative precaution.

http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/she...ediseases.html

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/roses/disease-disease.html

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

s.com...
wrote:

[...]

"Cass" wrote in message
.. .

Old 06-08-2003, 11:33 PM
Shiva

wrote:

RMV can be tranmitted to another rose by the root system if they are close
enough that the root systems grow togather.

Many plant virus are spread by this means and the only way to ensure that
the disease does not spread is to be absolutely certain that the infected
plants roots don't involve other plants.

Tim

Here is what Malcolm Manners says about contagiousness of RMV:

"Means of Transmission

RM is believed to be non-contagious in the field, except possibly
through rare natural root grafts. There is no evidence that it ever
spreads naturally in the garden or nursery, or through pollen, seed,
or seedlings (2). Extensive tests also have failed to transfer RM
mechanically (e.g., on pruning tools, grafting knives, etc.) (3). The
only known means for transmitting the disease is by vegetative
propagation. Cuttings rooted from infected plants, or budded plants
produced from infected scions or rootstocks, will be infected in
virtually every case. The disease is systemic, so the entire plant is
infected, whether or not all of the branches show symptoms. A plant
which is infected at the time of propagation will remain infected
throughout its life, and a healthy plant at the time of propagation
should remain healthy for its entire life, unless an infected scion is
budded or grafted onto it."

Thanks for the link, Anne. I guess I am safe keeping my Sonia Rykiel.
tim, where do you get this stuff?

Old 07-08-2003, 01:02 AM
Henry Kuska

See the following link:

http://home.neo.rr.com/kuska/mis_info_about_virus.htm

--
Henry Kuska, retired

http://home.neo.rr.com/kuska/

Old 07-08-2003, 04:02 AM
Cass

In article , Henry Kuska
wrote:

See the following link:

http://home.neo.rr.com/kuska/mis_info_about_virus.htm

This is all rather annoying, since, as Dr. Kuska points out, none of us
can prove that *any* of our roses is virus-free. I share others'
concerns about spreading virus through pruning, especially winter
pruning. For no reason other than pure conjecture, I tend to think that
the pollen and root transmission is a remote threat I can live with.

Have any hybridizers reported virused seedlings produced from virused
pollen and/or seed parent?

BTW, I can't understand why my Bonica image was picked up by Google in
the rose mosaic virus images. Weird.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:02 AM
Henry Kuska

Cass, your question: "Have any hybridizers reported virused seedlings
produced from virused
pollen and/or seed parent?" was answered in my post. Yes.
"Ping Lim, an All American Rose winning hybridizer, stated in
rec.gardens.roses that he has observed virused seedlings from virused
parents.
He is not the first hybridizer to report that some of his seedlings
were virused. Harvey Davidson reported in 1988 (Davidson, H., The American
Rose Magazine, volumn 29, page 16, (1988)) that some of his seedlings were
virused and that he had heard, in a recent lecture, Dr. Dennison Morey state
that rose mosaic can be transferred through pollen. Dr. Morey was at one
time the head of the breeding program for Jackson and Perkins."

Henry Kuska, retired

http://home.neo.rr.com/kuska/

Old 07-08-2003, 05:32 AM
Shiva

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 02:59:07 GMT, "Henry Kuska"
wrote:

Cass, your question: "Have any hybridizers reported virused seedlings
produced from virused
pollen and/or seed parent?" was answered in my post. Yes.
"Ping Lim, an All American Rose winning hybridizer, stated in
rec.gardens.roses that he has observed virused seedlings from virused
parents.

It remains a fact that we have seen no evidence at all--so far--that
Rose Mosaic Virus can spread from one plant to another in our gardens.