Old 09-08-2003, 02:34 PM
abartoo

Default planting a cut rose

HI,

I HAVE HEARD FROM A COUPLE OF DIFFERENT PEOPLE THAT IT IS POSSIBLE TO TAKE A
CUT ROSE FROM A FLORIST AND PLANT IT IN THE GROUND AND IT WILL GROW AND
BLOOM JUST LIKE A PLANTED POT ROSE. THIS SEEMS FAR FETCHED TO ME. HAS
ANYONE HEARD OF DOING THIS. IS IT POSSIBLE FOR IT TO WORK. JUST CURIOUS.

THANKS FOR THE INFO, ANDY

Old 09-08-2003, 07:42 PM
JimS.

No, it is not true.

And stop typing in all caps or people will ignore you.

Old 10-08-2003, 01:42 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

Generally speaking florists "preserve" their cut roses with a preservative,
which would not allow the plant to grow roots. Though if you get a rose
from a florist that is not preserved, there is a ever so slight possibility
that it will grow roots and turn into a bush. It's much easier to cut a
thickened bloomed cane from an existing bush and get it to root and grow the
same type of flower the original had.

Check your cap lock, it seems to be stuck.

Old 10-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Daniel Hanna

In H3PYa.64617$cF.21535@rwcrnsc53 abartoo wrote:
HI,

I HAVE HEARD FROM A COUPLE OF DIFFERENT PEOPLE THAT IT IS POSSIBLE TO
TAKE A CUT ROSE FROM A FLORIST AND PLANT IT IN THE GROUND AND IT WILL
GROW AND BLOOM JUST LIKE A PLANTED POT ROSE. THIS SEEMS FAR FETCHED
TO ME. HAS ANYONE HEARD OF DOING THIS. IS IT POSSIBLE FOR IT TO WORK.
JUST CURIOUS.

THANKS FOR THE INFO, ANDY

Hmm. Good luck. Try planting your Caps Lock key in the ground too.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:04 PM
mt2

I doubt if you can do that with a rose from a florist, however you can =
do it with a rose cut fresh from a rose bush. If you have any clippings =
from neighbors or friends, you simply place the cut end of the clipped =
rose in rooting hormone to coat the end and plant in the ground in a =
sunny place. It will root there and grow. I have two clippings doing =
well two weeks later using that manner of propagating.

Old 13-08-2003, 05:32 AM
jammer

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 18:45:12 GMT, "mt2"
wrote:

I doubt if you can do that with a rose from a florist, however you can do it with a rose cut fresh from a rose bush. If you have any clippings from neighbors or friends, you simply place the cut end of the clipped rose in rooting hormone to coat the end a

nd plant in the ground in a sunny place. It will root there and grow. I have two clippings doing well two weeks later using that manner of propagating.

Can you do it without rooting hormone?
Old 13-08-2003, 06:13 AM
Shiva

wrote:

I doubt if you can do that with a rose from a florist, however you can do it with a rose cut

fresh from a rose bush. If you have any clippings from neighbors or friends, you simply place the
cut end of the clipped rose in rooting hormone to coat the end and plant in the ground in a sunny
place. It will root there and grow. I have two clippings doing well two weeks later using that
manner of propagating.

Can you do it without rooting hormone?

Probably not, and why would you want to? RH is not expensive. You can get
it at Lowes or Home Depot or any garden center.

Old 13-08-2003, 07:42 PM
dave weil

wrote:

I doubt if you can do that with a rose from a florist, however you can do it with a rose cut

fresh from a rose bush. If you have any clippings from neighbors or friends, you simply place the
cut end of the clipped rose in rooting hormone to coat the end and plant in the ground in a sunny
place. It will root there and grow. I have two clippings doing well two weeks later using that
manner of propagating.

Can you do it without rooting hormone?

Probably not, and why would you want to? RH is not expensive. You can get
it at Lowes or Home Depot or any garden center.

Also, it's not as "simple" as the original poster makes it out to be.
The failure rate for this type of rooting can be quite high, even when
you do the proper things, one of which is *not* to simply plant it in
a sunny place. Sure, you might get lucky, but the conventional wisdom
is that you really need to give it some shade in the early days. Also,
you have to make sure that it stays moist and never dries out until it
gets established (which can take weeks). Most people accomplish this
by creating a little mini greenhouse out of an open topped milk bottle
or the like.

I have yet to get a cutting to grow, but that's probably just my poor
cultivation. I *had* one growing nicely until my cat brushed up
against it and broke off one of the two sprouts that had formed.
Within a few days, the whole stem was black.

Does anyone have that link about rooting cuttings that is tossed
around here?
Old 17-08-2003, 06:02 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

I knew a lady (now passed on) that used to just cut her thickest stems and
plop them in the ground in the same general vicinity of her yard and they
would grow. I've had some success doing this, but not great success. I
tried one recently since Im selling my home and want to take a cutting from
my first rose bush ever planted and took a nice healthy cane from it and put
it in a pot, and kept it moist. Unfortunately it's now almost black on one
whole side, so I assume that it's pretty much not going to make it. I'll
probably go pick up some rooting hormones tommorrow and try again. I really
want to take this original rose with me.

Nothing special about it, it's just a J&P color magic but it holds
sentimental value to me.

Old 25-08-2003, 07:12 PM
J. Del Col

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm. I have had very good luck with most cuttings. Just make sure
they are from a cane that has recently bloomed and are about the size
of an ordinary lead pencil. Strip all but the top pair of leaves;
scrape some of the bark away around the lowest leaf buds; dust them
with rooting powder; then pot them up with damp soil and put them in a
ziplock bag. Keep them in a shady spot until new growth starts and
they can be hardened off.

I've rooted dozens of "found" OGR's this way.

The very first cuttings I rooted were done the old way--stuck them in
the ground and put a cut-off 2-liter bottle over them. It worked.

J. Del Col

[IBC] To cut or not to cut that´s the question. Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 0 04-11-2004 01:39 PM
To cut or not to cut ? Allen Lai Lawns 4 31-10-2003 11:22 PM
Tiffany, was planting a cut rose Shiva Roses 0 15-08-2003 05:57 AM
Tiffany, was planting a cut rose Shiva Roses 0 15-08-2003 05:57 AM
To cut or not to cut .... Allen Lai Lawns 9 12-06-2003 04:56 AM