Old 14-08-2003, 06:22 AM
Matt & Trai Rathsack

Default Black ratsnakes for vole control?

No problemo Shiva. Yo comprendo amiga!!!!

tee hee
Trai

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.6010ec53c0022744b5418dc2ddd73dff @1060836626.cotse.net...
Matt & Trai Rathsack wrote:

I think they originally were posting to the rec.pets.herp group. I

think
she just got OT and was rambling.

LOL! Quite true, Trai. I am sorry, I forgot I was crossposting. I have

read the herp
group for years, just never posted. I began the crosspost to see if I

might
be able to use the snake idea without hurting the snakes. Last post to

herps,
I promise!

Trai

"Grainne Gillespie" wrote in message
Stop cross posting to rec.pets.herp.
We are a herpaculture AKA keeping of reptiles in captivity group not a
gardening group

Old 14-08-2003, 06:22 AM
Shiva

Old 15-08-2003, 05:06 AM
Scopata Fuori

We have bats, owls,
hawks, and some stray cats, but not many of the latter due to a leash
law and lots of animal lovers. (In other words, we keep them inside and
safe.)

Might not be many of the latter, due to the owls and hawks. Food chain, you
know.

Black snakes, in the US, are harmless, beneficial creatures. The only
exception I am aware of, are the notorious cottonmouth snakes, found near
water. Black snakes look scary, especially big ones, but just let them go
their way, and they will not bother you. They won't bother you, in fact,
unless you insist upon bothering them, and they are unable to escape any
other way.

If I had black snakes, and they were eating vermin, I'd make sure to let
them have a nice safe place to hide, like the woodpile, so they wouldn't be
tempted to try to come in the house to nest.

Also, their presence tends to discourage copperheads, which *are* a bad
thing to have around.

Scopata Fuori

ObRoses: Climbing Peace is throwing up vicious, 3/4" thick basals, but is
not blooming again. I think I will end up moving it, since the telephone
pole I was going to wrap it around really does need to be taken out.

Old 15-08-2003, 05:57 AM
Shiva

Kirra wrote:

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.5a7bda6be1ed918efe6848b4a35663c2 @1060745586.cotse.net...

My sympathies to you. I hadn't lost a rose yet (not counting a mini I got on
sale for .50c - it was going to die anyway but thought I had to try to give
it a chance), but now it looks like my Granada bare root is going to die!

Ahhh, crap! E tu? You just got yours! That sucks. I have two ownroots that
are very young, have only produced tiny stunted flowers due to heat and
my losing my spray routine. They are bald of leaves, and I have not seen
new growth in two weeks, though they are still green. I just know no other
Granada is going to make blooms like the one I lost. Wahhhh!

It
was leafing out nicely and then it just started wilting. The canes have gone
black and even the shots from the graft are dieing. On one hand, I guess I
can say that at least it is only 1 from 60 but why that one! Why not another
that I wasn't so looking forward to ...

Yes, that is awful. My bareroots bit it due to waterlogging, I think. But
it was the same for me, except the canes went brown and dry looking. In
the middle of all this water. Some form of canker no doubt. Or maybe they
don't get enough oxygen when they get too much water? I don't know.

I also thought Jadis might not make it. Her canes were a weird combination
of lime green and grey and didn't look so healthy. Yesterday I noticed some
nice new shots just starting to leaf out - it looks like Jadis might make it
after all.

Post pics, friend! What season is it there now, just about spring?

Kirra

Old 15-08-2003, 05:57 AM
Cass

In article , Scopata Fuori
wrote:

ObRoses: Climbing Peace is throwing up vicious, 3/4" thick basals, but is
not blooming again. I think I will end up moving it, since the telephone
pole I was going to wrap it around really does need to be taken out.

And it's last year's canes that aren't blooming? Blooms on last year's
wood, I'm sure you know. In bloom, that is one of the most beautiful
roses.

Old 15-08-2003, 05:57 AM
Cass

In article
aHlwYXRpYQ==.073b4ba4b68aeca96a35323535e68a17@106 0911696.cotse.net,
Shiva wrote:

Kirra wrote:
It
was leafing out nicely and then it just started wilting. The canes have gone
black and even the shots from the graft are dieing. On one hand, I guess I
can say that at least it is only 1 from 60 but why that one! Why not another
that I wasn't so looking forward to ...

My Granada grew like corn and I potted it up to about a 10 or 15
gallon. Then I went away for a weekend when the temps went up to 100
and all the new growth fried. Or so I thought. Is your Granada a Weeks
plant? I wonder if it has some unidentified defect. It seems to be
coming back just fine, tho it needs to go in the ground and it isn't
gonna get to until next winter. I'm moving it into a muck bucket next.
Sheesh. Complaining about a HT that is growing too fast. Some people
are never satisfied.

Old 15-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Tom Line

This is anecdoctal, but my friend lives in a shady beautiful street in
Ohio. One day he gets in the car, starts the engine, and a huge black
snake is curled up the engine compartment and gets chewed to pieces. That
night, he comes home, blood all over the house. 38 sitting on the table.
Oh crap! Then finds him mom cleaning up snake blood from the black snake
she just shot in the living room. The next day was the big California
Northridge Earthquake.

Old 15-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Shiva

Tom Line wrote:

This is anecdoctal, but my friend lives in a shady beautiful street in
Ohio. One day he gets in the car, starts the engine, and a huge black
snake is curled up the engine compartment and gets chewed to pieces. That
night, he comes home, blood all over the house. 38 sitting on the table.
Oh crap! Then finds him mom cleaning up snake blood from the black snake
she just shot in the living room. The next day was the big California
Northridge Earthquake.

Interesting story. Are you implying a causal effect? Also, could you tell
us which group you are posting from? Actually, your very interesting
story has nothing to do with gardening or keeping "herps" as pets, so
the tight-assed netcops in both rec.pets.herp AND rec.gardens.roses can
bust your chops for posting off-topic. Must be their lucky day. :-)
Neener, I just got busted by ONE group for posting off-topic! By the way,
you wouldn't happen to be GAMEPLAYER Tom Line #2387, would you? If you are,
Troll Patrol Expert "froglet" will announce to all that you are a troll, too.

Have a nice weekend!

(tongue firmly in cheek, asbestos underwear itching like hell. Bring it
ON, Grannie!)

Old 16-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Grainne Gillespie

(tongue firmly in cheek, asbestos underwear itching like hell. Bring it
ON, Grannie!)

Please get my name right, my name's GRAINNE, not Grannie. I'm not THAT old
(25 actually)

Old 17-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Matt & Trai Rathsack

Please get my name right, my name's GRAINNE, not Grannie. I'm not THAT old
(25 actually)

ROFLMAO!!! LOL that's too funny!!
Trai

Old 17-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Kirra

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.073b4ba4b68aeca96a35323535e68a17 @1060911696.cotse.net...

Ahhh, crap! E tu? You just got yours! That sucks. I have two ownroots that
are very young, have only produced tiny stunted flowers due to heat and
my losing my spray routine. They are bald of leaves, and I have not seen
new growth in two weeks, though they are still green. I just know no other
Granada is going to make blooms like the one I lost. Wahhhh!

Well as I am getting the next one with blooms. No more watching new shots
growing and then wilting before turning deathly black.

It
was leafing out nicely and then it just started wilting. The canes have

gone
black and even the shots from the graft are dieing. On one hand, I guess

can say that at least it is only 1 from 60 but why that one! Why not

another
that I wasn't so looking forward to ...

Yes, that is awful. My bareroots bit it due to waterlogging, I think. But
it was the same for me, except the canes went brown and dry looking. In
the middle of all this water. Some form of canker no doubt. Or maybe they
don't get enough oxygen when they get too much water? I don't know.

Not sure what happened with mine ... I might have let it dry out some or
overwatered (obviously at different times )but then again none of the
others have done this so maybe it was just that rose.

I also thought Jadis might not make it. Her canes were a weird

combination
of lime green and grey and didn't look so healthy. Yesterday I noticed

some
nice new shots just starting to leaf out - it looks like Jadis might

make it
after all.

Post pics, friend! What season is it there now, just about spring?

Well I have been meaning to post some pictures for a while now and you have
motivated me to do it. I'll be posting a link to a yahoo site in a new
message. It is almost spring down here. Officially spring starts in
September but the Jonquills and grape hyacinths are starting to flower and
my mother's overgrown rootstock (I think pink multiflora) has been blooming
for a month!

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
zone 10

Old 17-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Shiva

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 11:23:36 GMT, "Kirra"
wrote:

This time I will buy Granda in a pot with flowers so that I don't
have to worry about losing it as well!

This is precisely what I will do next spring after the bare root
massacre that happened here! I have always had good luck with potted
roses. They take the mystery out of it as you see the bloom, and do
not require the babying bare roots do. Good choice, Kirra.

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
zone 10

Vole control Paul W. Paulsen Gardening 2 15-03-2008 02:04 AM
Vole control idea higgledy Gardening 6 09-05-2006 01:56 PM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk ssspp Unique Too Roses 7 16-05-2003 04:08 AM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk ssspppOOOTTTSSSS!!!!!! Roger Roses 6 12-05-2003 10:56 PM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk Radika Kesavan Roses 0 11-05-2003 04:44 PM