GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Black ratsnakes for vole control? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/40035-black-ratsnakes-vole-control.html)

Shiva 10-08-2003 05:43 PM

Black ratsnakes for vole control?

Shiva wrote:

Wow, this never ocurred to me! This was in today's paper.
Remember, I have tried every thing else.

http://newsobserver.com/features/hom...-2561854c.html

What do you all think??

Hmmm. Wrong article, but I swear I saw the one I was referring to
in today's gardening section, hardcopy. (For those of you who missed it, I
have lost many beloved plants, esp. roses, to voles this year, and in the
past three years.)

Here is the New Weapon:

Black ratsnakes! One guy who had tried the sonic things, the traps, the
chicken wire, the Permatil and the Rozol ordered a couple pair of black rat
snakes and they wiped out his vole infestation!

Here is the scenario: very woodsy, mulchy yards, about half an acre,
in the city of Raleigh, NC but this city is very green and lush. We have bats, owls,
hawks, and some stray cats, but not many of the latter due to a leash
law and lots of animal lovers. (In other words, we keep them inside and
safe.) We have lots of little brown snakes in the yards, and tons of bugs.

If you all think this might work, how might I get some of these snakes?
I love reptiles and have kept snakes and lizards and frogs and salamanders
and toads as pets. You herp folks, how old should the snakes be before I let
them live in the yard? Do I need to get wild ones, or could those born in
captivity adapt? TIA!

P.S.--Just thought of a drawback. If these snakes get big, can they eat
things like chipmunks, rabbits and squirrels? The voles are the only
thing I want to lose.

GamePlayer No. 1058 11-08-2003 06:05 AM

Black ratsnakes for vole control?

Quite honestly, I'd rather have a completely barren yard then have *any*
kind of snake in my yard. They just give me the creeps.

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.3908e933d851a4fa612b2b13bec204f5 @1060533123.cotse.net...

Shiva 11-08-2003 06:05 AM

Black ratsnakes for vole control?

K.B. Cunningham wrote:

Hello

For what it's worth, I'm in Alabama, and have had great success in
controlling moles with gray rat snakes. I assume that "moles" are a
hillbilly relative of "voles"?!

Grainne explained it well. Voles do often move into old mole tunnels.
Moles apparently do not tunnel in the same place twice, so they can.

I've captured a few gray rats crossing the road,or nesting in someones
carport, so getting them for me isn't a problem.

I don't think I would be brave enough to catch a wild snake, but
what is your method of capturing them, just for the information?

I have instucted my
neighbors of my method, and fortunately; they've all been receptive. I
tell them if one of the snakes winds up where they don't want him,
simply call me; and I'll retrieve him.

So you are in the city too? Or a suburb? I know I don't want a
really *hands on* experience with a wild snake big enough to eat
a vole. I guess my question was, 1. do they eat voles and 2. could
it harm a black rat snake to release he and a female in my yard,
and if not at what size should I do it?

I occasionally find one that's
failed to cross the road safely, but other than that; no problems.

Oo, see, if I started seeing dead snakes I would never forgive
myself. I started out a few years ago using Rozol (only poison
pellets approved here in NC for outdoor rodents) and took out
two squirrels, and that was the end of that. I wouldn't even
kill the voles if they let me grow roses without totally
killing them. It gets frustrating.

As
far the recommended size, usually two to three feet is what I've found
to work best. And yes, they may deplete the intended food sounce, and
grow to the point of seeking bigger food items.

Hmm. Another problem. I love the chipmunk families, and they are not
very large creatures.

Then, they can be
relocated to an area further away from your yard.

Thank you, KBC, for the information. I restored the crosspost
to rec.gardens.roses because this is information pertinent
to that group. We have never discussed using snakes as vole
or mole controllers before, so it is good to have the
information.

Hope this helps.

Stay safe,
KBC

"It's so long, to so many souls so far behind me,
Fair weather friends that I no longer know:
I've still got some same-ol' sad songs to remind me,
Of someone I used to be, so long ago"

WGJ

Shiva 11-08-2003 06:05 AM

GamePlayer No. 1058 wrote:

Quite honestly, I'd rather have a completely barren yard then have *any*
kind of snake in my yard. They just give me the creeps.

I understand that. I don't mind them a bit. I grew up running into
black snakes on my grandfather's farm in Virginia. They can be scary.

Derek Simon 12-08-2003 05:23 AM

"GamePlayer No. 1058" wrote:

Quite honestly, I'd rather have a completely barren yard then have *any*
kind of snake in my yard. They just give me the creeps.

They are not too fond of you either.

--
To Email me remove All doubt.

Shiva 12-08-2003 03:45 PM

Derek Simon wrote:

"GamePlayer No. 1058" wrote:

Quite honestly, I'd rather have a completely barren yard then have *any*
kind of snake in my yard. They just give me the creeps.

They are not too fond of you either.

One of the hazards of crossposting. GP probably had no idea he or
she was posting to rec.pets.herp. My fault, sorry.

--
To Email me remove All doubt.

JimS. 13-08-2003 05:04 AM

"Shiva" wrote in message news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.bad44121bb3c439d91023557b46a9890 @1060698023.cotse.net...
Derek Simon wrote:

"GamePlayer No. 1058" wrote:

Quite honestly, I'd rather have a completely barren yard then have *any*
kind of snake in my yard. They just give me the creeps.

They are not too fond of you either.

One of the hazards of crossposting. GP probably had no idea he or
she was posting to rec.pets.herp. My fault, sorry.

But still, hilariously funny....and true :-Þ

Shiva 13-08-2003 05:04 AM

JimS. wrote:

But still, hilariously funny....and true :-Þ

Yep. Where have you been? I just cancelled a trip because
I am so sick of running around. It wasn't to anywhere cool,
anyway. :[

I'm still being slack about the roses, four potted still need
planting, and I still have not sprayed anything at all since
mid-May. I just feel sort of apathetic about them. I want
everybody who is going to die to just go ahead and do it, *then*
I will spray. Joseph's Coat is hanging on by a cane, as is
Crystalline, Simply Marvelous, and Arizona. I thought they were
dead. I think the voles taking out my 3-year-old pride and joy--

GRANADA!--is what did me in. Lots of the roses are still going
great. Today I saw little finches eating bugs from them. I have
never seen that before.

Just rambling on ...

Kirra 14-08-2003 02:02 AM

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.5a7bda6be1ed918efe6848b4a35663c2 @1060745586.cotse.net...
I'm still being slack about the roses, four potted still need
planting, and I still have not sprayed anything at all since
mid-May. I just feel sort of apathetic about them. I want
everybody who is going to die to just go ahead and do it, *then*
I will spray. Joseph's Coat is hanging on by a cane, as is
Crystalline, Simply Marvelous, and Arizona. I thought they were
dead. I think the voles taking out my 3-year-old pride and joy--

GRANADA!--is what did me in. Lots of the roses are still going
great. Today I saw little finches eating bugs from them. I have
never seen that before.

Just rambling on ...

My sympathies to you. I hadn't lost a rose yet (not counting a mini I got on
sale for .50c - it was going to die anyway but thought I had to try to give
it a chance), but now it looks like my Granada bare root is going to die! It
was leafing out nicely and then it just started wilting. The canes have gone
black and even the shots from the graft are dieing. On one hand, I guess I
can say that at least it is only 1 from 60 but why that one! Why not another
that I wasn't so looking forward to ...

I also thought Jadis might not make it. Her canes were a weird combination
of lime green and grey and didn't look so healthy. Yesterday I noticed some
nice new shots just starting to leaf out - it looks like Jadis might make it
after all.

Kirra

Grainne Gillespie 14-08-2003 05:12 AM

Black ratsnakes for vole control?

Stop cross posting to rec.pets.herp.
We are a herpaculture AKA keeping of reptiles in captivity group not a
gardening group

Matt & Trai Rathsack 14-08-2003 05:32 AM

Black ratsnakes for vole control?

I think they originally were posting to the rec.pets.herp group. I think
she just got OT and was rambling.

Trai

Shiva 14-08-2003 06:04 AM

Matt & Trai Rathsack wrote:

I think they originally were posting to the rec.pets.herp group. I think
she just got OT and was rambling.

LOL! Quite true, Trai. I am sorry, I forgot I was crossposting. I have read the herp
group for years, just never posted. I began the crosspost to see if I might
be able to use the snake idea without hurting the snakes. Last post to herps,
I promise!

Matt & Trai Rathsack 14-08-2003 06:22 AM

Black ratsnakes for vole control?

No problemo Shiva. Yo comprendo amiga!!!!

tee hee
Trai

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.6010ec53c0022744b5418dc2ddd73dff @1060836626.cotse.net...

Shiva 14-08-2003 06:22 AM

Black ratsnakes for vole control?

Scopata Fuori 15-08-2003 05:06 AM

Black ratsnakes for vole control?

We have bats, owls,
hawks, and some stray cats, but not many of the latter due to a leash
law and lots of animal lovers. (In other words, we keep them inside and
safe.)

Might not be many of the latter, due to the owls and hawks. Food chain, you
know.

Black snakes, in the US, are harmless, beneficial creatures. The only
exception I am aware of, are the notorious cottonmouth snakes, found near
water. Black snakes look scary, especially big ones, but just let them go
their way, and they will not bother you. They won't bother you, in fact,
unless you insist upon bothering them, and they are unable to escape any
other way.

If I had black snakes, and they were eating vermin, I'd make sure to let
them have a nice safe place to hide, like the woodpile, so they wouldn't be
tempted to try to come in the house to nest.

Also, their presence tends to discourage copperheads, which *are* a bad
thing to have around.

Scopata Fuori

ObRoses: Climbing Peace is throwing up vicious, 3/4" thick basals, but is
not blooming again. I think I will end up moving it, since the telephone
pole I was going to wrap it around really does need to be taken out.

Shiva 15-08-2003 05:57 AM

Kirra wrote:

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.5a7bda6be1ed918efe6848b4a35663c2 @1060745586.cotse.net...

My sympathies to you. I hadn't lost a rose yet (not counting a mini I got on
sale for .50c - it was going to die anyway but thought I had to try to give
it a chance), but now it looks like my Granada bare root is going to die!

Ahhh, crap! E tu? You just got yours! That sucks. I have two ownroots that
are very young, have only produced tiny stunted flowers due to heat and
my losing my spray routine. They are bald of leaves, and I have not seen
new growth in two weeks, though they are still green. I just know no other
Granada is going to make blooms like the one I lost. Wahhhh!

It
was leafing out nicely and then it just started wilting. The canes have gone
black and even the shots from the graft are dieing. On one hand, I guess I
can say that at least it is only 1 from 60 but why that one! Why not another
that I wasn't so looking forward to ...

Yes, that is awful. My bareroots bit it due to waterlogging, I think. But
it was the same for me, except the canes went brown and dry looking. In
the middle of all this water. Some form of canker no doubt. Or maybe they
don't get enough oxygen when they get too much water? I don't know.

I also thought Jadis might not make it. Her canes were a weird combination
of lime green and grey and didn't look so healthy. Yesterday I noticed some
nice new shots just starting to leaf out - it looks like Jadis might make it
after all.

Post pics, friend! What season is it there now, just about spring?

Kirra

Cass 15-08-2003 05:57 AM

Black ratsnakes for vole control?

In article , Scopata Fuori
wrote:

ObRoses: Climbing Peace is throwing up vicious, 3/4" thick basals, but is
not blooming again. I think I will end up moving it, since the telephone
pole I was going to wrap it around really does need to be taken out.

And it's last year's canes that aren't blooming? Blooms on last year's
wood, I'm sure you know. In bloom, that is one of the most beautiful
roses.

Cass 15-08-2003 05:57 AM

Black ratsnakes for vole control?

In article
aHlwYXRpYQ==.073b4ba4b68aeca96a35323535e68a17@106 0911696.cotse.net,
Shiva wrote:

Kirra wrote:
It
was leafing out nicely and then it just started wilting. The canes have gone
black and even the shots from the graft are dieing. On one hand, I guess I
can say that at least it is only 1 from 60 but why that one! Why not another
that I wasn't so looking forward to ...

My Granada grew like corn and I potted it up to about a 10 or 15
gallon. Then I went away for a weekend when the temps went up to 100
and all the new growth fried. Or so I thought. Is your Granada a Weeks
plant? I wonder if it has some unidentified defect. It seems to be
coming back just fine, tho it needs to go in the ground and it isn't
gonna get to until next winter. I'm moving it into a muck bucket next.
Sheesh. Complaining about a HT that is growing too fast. Some people
are never satisfied. ;)

Tom Line 15-08-2003 02:12 PM

Black ratsnakes for vole control?

This is anecdoctal, but my friend lives in a shady beautiful street in
Ohio. One day he gets in the car, starts the engine, and a huge black
snake is curled up the engine compartment and gets chewed to pieces. That
night, he comes home, blood all over the house. 38 sitting on the table.
Oh crap! Then finds him mom cleaning up snake blood from the black snake
she just shot in the living room. The next day was the big California
Northridge Earthquake.

Shiva 15-08-2003 03:02 PM

Tom Line wrote:

This is anecdoctal, but my friend lives in a shady beautiful street in
Ohio. One day he gets in the car, starts the engine, and a huge black
snake is curled up the engine compartment and gets chewed to pieces. That
night, he comes home, blood all over the house. 38 sitting on the table.
Oh crap! Then finds him mom cleaning up snake blood from the black snake
she just shot in the living room. The next day was the big California
Northridge Earthquake.

Interesting story. Are you implying a causal effect? Also, could you tell
us which group you are posting from? Actually, your very interesting
story has nothing to do with gardening or keeping "herps" as pets, so
the tight-assed netcops in both rec.pets.herp AND rec.gardens.roses can
bust your chops for posting off-topic. Must be their lucky day. :-)
Neener, I just got busted by ONE group for posting off-topic! By the way,
you wouldn't happen to be GAMEPLAYER Tom Line #2387, would you? If you are,
Troll Patrol Expert "froglet" will announce to all that you are a troll, too.

Have a nice weekend!

(tongue firmly in cheek, asbestos underwear itching like hell. Bring it
ON, Grannie!)

Grainne Gillespie 16-08-2003 01:42 AM

Black ratsnakes for vole control?

(tongue firmly in cheek, asbestos underwear itching like hell. Bring it
ON, Grannie!)

Please get my name right, my name's GRAINNE, not Grannie. I'm not THAT old
(25 actually)

Matt & Trai Rathsack 17-08-2003 06:02 AM

Black ratsnakes for vole control?

Please get my name right, my name's GRAINNE, not Grannie. I'm not THAT old
(25 actually)

ROFLMAO!!! LOL that's too funny!!
Trai

Kirra 17-08-2003 12:42 PM

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.073b4ba4b68aeca96a35323535e68a17 @1060911696.cotse.net...

Ahhh, crap! E tu? You just got yours! That sucks. I have two ownroots that
are very young, have only produced tiny stunted flowers due to heat and
my losing my spray routine. They are bald of leaves, and I have not seen
new growth in two weeks, though they are still green. I just know no other
Granada is going to make blooms like the one I lost. Wahhhh!

Well as I am getting the next one with blooms. No more watching new shots
growing and then wilting before turning deathly black.

It
was leafing out nicely and then it just started wilting. The canes have

gone
black and even the shots from the graft are dieing. On one hand, I guess

can say that at least it is only 1 from 60 but why that one! Why not

another
that I wasn't so looking forward to ...

Yes, that is awful. My bareroots bit it due to waterlogging, I think. But
it was the same for me, except the canes went brown and dry looking. In
the middle of all this water. Some form of canker no doubt. Or maybe they
don't get enough oxygen when they get too much water? I don't know.

Not sure what happened with mine ... I might have let it dry out some or
overwatered (obviously at different times :) )but then again none of the
others have done this so maybe it was just that rose.

I also thought Jadis might not make it. Her canes were a weird

combination
of lime green and grey and didn't look so healthy. Yesterday I noticed

some
nice new shots just starting to leaf out - it looks like Jadis might

make it
after all.

Post pics, friend! What season is it there now, just about spring?

Well I have been meaning to post some pictures for a while now and you have
motivated me to do it. I'll be posting a link to a yahoo site in a new
message. It is almost spring down here. Officially spring starts in
September but the Jonquills and grape hyacinths are starting to flower and
my mother's overgrown rootstock (I think pink multiflora) has been blooming
for a month!

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
zone 10

Shiva 17-08-2003 05:32 PM

Black ratsnakes for vole control?

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 11:23:36 GMT, "Kirra"
wrote:

This time I will buy Granda in a pot with flowers so that I don't
have to worry about losing it as well!

This is precisely what I will do next spring after the bare root
massacre that happened here! I have always had good luck with potted
roses. They take the mystery out of it as you see the bloom, and do
not require the babying bare roots do. Good choice, Kirra.

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
zone 10

Shiva 17-08-2003 06:12 PM

Black ratsnakes for vole control?

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 21:16:57 -0400, "Scopata Fuori"
wrote:

Black snakes, in the US, are harmless, beneficial creatures. The only
exception I am aware of, are the notorious cottonmouth snakes, found near
water. Black snakes look scary, especially big ones, but just let them go
their way, and they will not bother you. They won't bother you, in fact,
unless you insist upon bothering them, and they are unable to escape any
other way.

Yes, this is why I like snakes. I thought maybe black snakes were
indigenous here because they were in northern VA where my grandfather
lived while I was growing up.

If I had black snakes, and they were eating vermin, I'd make sure to let
them have a nice safe place to hide, like the woodpile, so they wouldn't be
tempted to try to come in the house to nest.

We have a nice comfy woodpile, as I do not make many fires--too lazy,
save it for company!

Also, their presence tends to discourage copperheads, which *are* a bad
thing to have around.

You make me want to do some research on NC snakes. We have a nice
little science museum here that treats the topic quite well from what
I understand.

Mark. Gooley 17-08-2003 08:12 PM

Black ratsnakes for vole control?

"Scopata Fuori" wrote
Black snakes, in the US, are harmless, beneficial creatures. The only
exception I am aware of, are the notorious cottonmouth snakes, found near
water. Black snakes look scary, especially big ones, but just let them go
their way, and they will not bother you. They won't bother you, in fact,
unless you insist upon bothering them, and they are unable to escape any
other way.

Around here (N. pensinsular Florida) it's something called the black
racer, and what's either a subspecies or a rare color variant called the
indigo racer. Powerful, fast-moving snakes (they don't call them racers
for nothing!), graceful of motion and arguably beautiful, and harmless.
I saw one on almost every piece of land I considered buying, and have
come to consider them a good luck charm. I have never seen any
venomous snake on my property: maybe the racers eat them. Everyone
else I've talked to in my church has killed at least one cottonmouth or
rattler or coral snake near their house; there's even a place that buys
freshly-killed snakes for their skins.

Ob. roses: the Romanticas and other Austin wannabees I bought 2/3 to
3/4 off from Wayside as bare-root grafts and potted up are mostly doing
well, except for one I transplanted into the wet and seem to have killed.
Gina Lollobrigida (spelling?) has done nicely, with good crops of nicely
smelly blossoms, but looks to be too small a bush for my tastes, and
"Handel" (modern climber, white flowers with pink to red edges) has
been growing well if blooming a bit fitfully, in spells. Beales writes of
Handel, "An excellent rose, but somewhat `pretty' for my taste," and he
has a point: at least it hasn't a hybrid tea look to its blossoms. Handel
is
also old enough (1956) to be out of patent, so perhaps I can try it on its
own roots here.

Mark.

Susan H. Simko 18-08-2003 04:42 PM

Mark. Gooley wrote:

Around here (N. pensinsular Florida) it's something called the black
racer, and what's either a subspecies or a rare color variant called the
indigo racer. Powerful, fast-moving snakes (they don't call them racers
for nothing!), graceful of motion and arguably beautiful, and harmless.
I saw one on almost every piece of land I considered buying, and have
come to consider them a good luck charm. I have never seen any
venomous snake on my property: maybe the racers eat them. Everyone
else I've talked to in my church has killed at least one cottonmouth or
rattler or coral snake near their house; there's even a place that buys
freshly-killed snakes for their skins.

When we lived in FL while I was growing up, we kept the neighbors son's
pet indigo racer at our house. His mom was deathly afraid of snakes and
my mom loves 'em. He was the absolute coolest snake. Coral snakes,
OTOH, were greeted by an immediate call to the MPs to come kill them.
The coral snakes had a bad habit of crawling up between the jalousie
windows and screens on our house for the night time warmth. Beautiful
snakes as deadly as they are gorgeous.

So far, I've been watching my Granada vigilantly. It's doing quite well
so far. Perhaps because it was a potted Weeks rose that I bought
locally at Witherspoon's. It's also all by it's lonesome right next to
the patio so it also has minimal exposure to the black spot that has
been my curse in other parts of my yard. Like Shiva, I've pretty much
given up this year due to the deluge we have experienced this year here
in NC.

Susan - who's s.o. is highly enjoying her temporary credit card-less
state. The s.o. thinks this is the longest period of time I have ever
gone without buying *something* for the yard. *smile* As I reminded
the s.o., it's *temporary*. *evil grin*
shsimko at duke dot edu

Larry Blanchard 18-08-2003 05:02 PM

Black ratsnakes for vole control?

In article , says...

"Scopata Fuori" wrote
Black snakes, in the US, are harmless, beneficial creatures. The only
exception I am aware of, are the notorious cottonmouth snakes, found near
water. Black snakes look scary, especially big ones, but just let them go
their way, and they will not bother you. They won't bother you, in fact,
unless you insist upon bothering them, and they are unable to escape any
other way.

Around here (N. pensinsular Florida) it's something called the black
racer, and what's either a subspecies or a rare color variant called the
indigo racer. Powerful, fast-moving snakes (they don't call them racers
for nothing!), graceful of motion and arguably beautiful, and harmless.

Interestingly, blacksnakes are the only N.A. snake known to chase you.
Only the males in mating season, and it's all bluff, but it's fun to
watch.

Also, they have an antiseptic in their saliva to disinfect their food.
If one bites you with its tiny teeth, the punctures usually heal up in
less than a day. DAMHIKT :-).

I've always liked snakes, but my wife is terrified of them. Oh, well,
she has other redeeming characteristics :-).

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?