Old 12-08-2003, 01:37 AM
Cdonahey41

Default Reaction from a Thorn

About a week ago, I was raking underneath an Abraham Darby rose - and I ended
up getting stuck by three thorns on my forearm. . I had an instant response to
one of the thorns. A lump or swollen place just popped up on my arm; I had no
pain. My skin bled from one of the other thorns and the other one hurt the
most. Anyway, I ended up with a rectangular bruise - maybe three inches by two
inches, that is still noticeable. I still have a small lump. Did I hit a vein
or the bone? I have never had such a reaction before from a thorn.

Old 13-08-2003, 05:04 AM
Shiva

Cdonahey41 wrote:

About a week ago, I was raking underneath an Abraham Darby rose - and I ended
up getting stuck by three thorns on my forearm. . I had an instant response to
one of the thorns. A lump or swollen place just popped up on my arm; I had no
pain.

I don't know what this might be, but I hope you have gone to the
doctor by now.

Old 14-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Theo Asir

Ouch! Talk about the need for arm length gloves.
This sometimes happens to me 'cos I do most of my
rose gardening w/ minimal gloves. I'm not a masochist
but usually when I move slow and carefully I never get
nicked.

Usually when the swelling continues a piece of the barb
has broken off under your skin. Unless you're able to retreive it
(I'm an expert w/ a safety pin) time to visit a doctor.
It will not go away.

On the other hand it could just be a reaction.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 14-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Tom Line

Apply Iodine. Iodine will soak into any woody fragments left in the wound
and prevent infection. Alcohol is a lousy antiseptic. Peroxide is pretty
good as it foams removing particles. Bleach is the best disinfectant.
Iodine prevents bacterial growth the longest. The staining action also
makes foreign debris stand out visually. Maybe it was a spider bite or bee
sting??

Old 14-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Tom Line

Cdonahey41 wrote:
: About a week ago, I was raking underneath an Abraham Darby rose - and I ended
: up getting stuck by three thorns on my forearm. . I had an instant response to
: one of the thorns. A lump or swollen place just popped up on my arm; I had no
: pain. My skin bled from one of the other thorns and the other one hurt the
: most. Anyway, I ended up with a rectangular bruise - maybe three inches by two
: inches, that is still noticeable. I still have a small lump. Did I hit a vein
: or the bone? I have never had such a reaction before from a thorn.

--

Tom Line

OT query - allergic reaction Sacha United Kingdom 20 26-06-2007 12:57 PM
Mehler Reaction Eyal Plant Science 1 10-03-2006 08:21 PM
Question: photosynthesis light reactions: antenna and reaction center pigments frankgrimes12 Plant Science 1 29-01-2004 09:15 PM
chlorophylls and reaction centers... Yaloner Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:24 PM
chlorophylls and reaction centers... Yaloner Plant Biology 0 05-04-2003 03:32 PM