Old 16-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Scopata Fuori

Default Was: snakes -- Climbers not blooming

"Cass" wrote in message news:140820032020359170%

And it's last year's canes that aren't blooming? Blooms on last year's
wood, I'm sure you know. In bloom, that is one of the most beautiful
roses.

Neither are blooming! And the climbing America (I think that's what it is,
or maybe Tropicana) only put out a paltry half dozen early this spring, and
not a thing since then. Climbing Peace gave about a dozen or so this spring,
in fact it was the first non-miniature to form a bud; and nothing since.

Yet it's throwing out new canes, like it's trying to attack the house and
anyone who walks by. There's one that's about 12 to 14 feet, straight up,
that I'm waiting for the rain to cease, so I can get a ladder up there and
pin it down more horizontally.

This plant is right by the corner of the house, and I have taken one cane
and trained it around the corner of the house (which it doesn't seem to be
happy about). This one, grew so thick to begin with, that there was no
bending it as it grew, like the rest. So it will have to be a more gentle
bend, up the side of the house and up past the window.

It's extremely vigorous, as if it is getting plenty of nitrogen (but no
yellowing leaves or nitrogen overload symptoms) and plenty of water (the
hose and spigot is right there, so it gets some extra water due to drippage
when the hose is on). But, no flowers.

Yet, in the long garden, twenty feet away, everything is blooming.
Everything, that is, except the Blaze that bloomed so massively over the
arbor this spring. Even the Blaze that I posted about a while back, that I
had to move...it is blooming, and starting to throw out basals again.
Bride's Dream, that I planted as a bare root this spring, easily has enough
roses at any given time, in just the perfect stage for cutting, for a
gorgeous dozen roses. Within a few days, the others have matured, and
there's another dozen, waiting to be cut.

If I had the heart to cut them. I just deadhead. I prefer them in the
garden, although every now and then I do cut them for the table, or to give
away.

Scopata Fuori

--
"Life can get too serious. We need an occasional dead frog to lighten
things." --- M. W. McChesney

Old 16-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Unique Too

"Scopata Fuori" writes:

Bride's Dream, that I planted as a bare root this spring, easily has enough
roses at any given time, in just the perfect stage for cutting, for a
gorgeous dozen roses. Within a few days, the others have matured, and
there's another dozen, waiting to be cut.

That's typical of my Bride's Dream also. It's one of only three HTs that were
allowed to stay. And I try to take care of this one because it blooms so much.
When I want/need to cut roses I can count on BS to have several just waiting.

If I had the heart to cut them. I just deadhead. I prefer them in the
garden, although every now and then I do cut them for the table, or to give
away.

Sounds like me, I like my roses on the plants they are grown on. They are only
brought in for company (when you have so many roses, people expect to see
flowers in the house) or for a gift (usually my mother, what else can you take
to a 78 year old woman who doesn't need anything?)

Julie
Old 17-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Cass

In article , Scopata Fuori
wrote:

"Cass" wrote in message news:140820032020359170%

And it's last year's canes that aren't blooming? Blooms on last year's
wood, I'm sure you know. In bloom, that is one of the most beautiful
roses.

Neither are blooming! And the climbing America (I think that's what it is,
or maybe Tropicana) only put out a paltry half dozen early this spring, and
not a thing since then.

I think I've gotten two to four blooms from America. The foliage isn't
good here, so I'll adopt it out.

Climbing Peace gave about a dozen or so this spring,
in fact it was the first non-miniature to form a bud; and nothing since.

Yet it's throwing out new canes, like it's trying to attack the house and
anyone who walks by. There's one that's about 12 to 14 feet, straight up,
that I'm waiting for the rain to cease, so I can get a ladder up there and
pin it down more horizontally.

I don't grow it, but in my Mom's garden it was almost a once-bloomer.
The spring flush was fantastic. There's one in my neighborhood that I
admire each spring, but I can't say I notice bloom after that. My isp
is up and down right now, so I can't look. Check out what
www.vintagegardens.com says about rebloom. I always hear that rebloom
on climbing hybrid teas in general is fairly stingy, with a few
exceptions like Cl. Snowbird and Cl. Crimson Glory.

Damned Snakes III Revenge of the snakes! Gareee© Ponds 1 09-06-2005 06:14 PM
Do snakes eat frogs but NOT fish? Gareee© Ponds 14 16-05-2005 08:34 PM
Azalea question (not blooming) Alexander Pensky Gardening 7 24-06-2003 06:08 PM
Day Lilies Not Blooming GF Texas 12 07-06-2003 04:56 PM
Day Lilies Not Blooming GF Texas 7 05-06-2003 02:56 AM