GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Some picture of my roses (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/40614-some-picture-my-roses.html)

Kirra 17-08-2003 02:02 PM

Some picture of my roses

Well I have been meaning to post some pictures for a while now but had not
got around to it. I have posted some pictures on a yahoo web site if you
would like to have a look:

http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kirra_lee

The album "Roses" contains varied pictures of roses that I grow either at my
house or at our new garden at my mother's house.

"Making of a Rose Garden" contains some pictures of my father digging (!)
the garden at my mother's house. You all really need to get one of these to
dig your rose gardens :)

The albym "Friesia" (Sunsprite) contains pictures of two of my favourite
roses in the garden that I took a month ago just before pruning. I had a
house full of roses for two weeks afterwards. These are just outside my
front door with a Double Delight in between. I smell them everytime I come
in and out of the house when they are in flower.

I hope you like them.

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
zone 10

Kirra 17-08-2003 02:02 PM

Some picture of my roses

"Kirra" wrote in message

Well I have been meaning to post some pictures for a while now but had not
got around to it. I have posted some pictures on a yahoo web site if you
would like to have a look:

http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kirra_lee

Ok, you can't actually use that link by the looks of it. Try this one
instead:

http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/kirra_lee

Kirra

Anne Lurie 17-08-2003 10:22 PM

Some picture of my roses

Nice photos, Kirra! Always nice to have a man (or woman) with a tractor
when you want to prepare a rose bed!

It's odd that the original link you posted did not work, as it says so
obviously to bookmark it for quick access -- weird!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Daniel Hanna 17-08-2003 11:22 PM

Some picture of my roses

In Kirra wrote:
"Making of a Rose Garden" contains some pictures of my father digging (!)
the garden at my mother's house. You all really need to get one of
these to dig your rose gardens :)

Like Anne, I'm jealous too Kirra! Looks like you have plenty of space.
You really have an opportunity to go beyond the mainstream varieties and
experiment a little. In Brisbane you might find excellent results with
the old Tea roses.

Kirra 18-08-2003 01:03 AM

Some picture of my roses

"Daniel Hanna" wrote in message
home.com.au...
In Kirra wrote:
"Making of a Rose Garden" contains some pictures of my father digging

(!)
the garden at my mother's house. You all really need to get one of
these to dig your rose gardens :)

Like Anne, I'm jealous too Kirra! Looks like you have plenty of space.
You really have an opportunity to go beyond the mainstream varieties and
experiment a little. In Brisbane you might find excellent results with
the old Tea roses.

We (my parents) have 10 acres on that property. The bed in the pictures is
for experimenting with different types of roses. It was really hard trying
to plan it because we did not have any idea the exact size/colour of roses.
I'm sure that some of the roses will have to be moved because they are too
small for a spot or too large.

We have planted Monsieur Tillier, Rosette Delizy, Mrs B R Cant and Francis
Dubreuil in the Tea range. When looking at sizes I couldn't find one for Mrs
B R Cant, I guess the name sounded dainty so I planted it in the same space
range as the HTs. I've since read that it can get 3m x 3m so it is
definitely going to have to move. I'm still on the look out for which ones
to put in for next year, so if you have any suggestions, I'll be glad to
take any ideas.

We also have two Noisettes, Madame Alfred Carrière and Crepuscule growing up
against the brick wall that you can see and a bourbon Louise Odier up
against the wooden fence. We want to be able to see and enjoy roses from the
balcony and from the sizes I've read of MAC, I think it will grow up over
the top of the railing.

I'm planning on taking some pictures soon of the garden with the roses
planted, however I think you will only see brown dirt and a few green leaves
here and there. Maybe in a years time or so it might be more green than
brown :)

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
zone 10

Daniel Hanna 18-08-2003 01:42 PM

Some picture of my roses

In Kirra wrote:
We have planted Monsieur Tillier, Rosette Delizy, Mrs B R Cant and
Francis Dubreuil in the Tea range.

It's freakish Kirra - all those teas would be on my short list if I had
the space. I have Duchesse de Brabant this year. Others I look
longingly at are Hugo Roller and General Gallieni.

My Mrs B R Cant gave up the ghost in over-soaked clay soil early this
year. Until then it was a great bush with the best tea blooms I've seen.

I also have Mme Alfred Carriere, but a local possum feeds on the new
shoots whenever they appear, so it's sulking in a corner.

Good luck with your teas!

Cass 18-08-2003 06:32 PM

Some picture of my roses

In article .com.au,
Daniel Hanna wrote:

In Kirra wrote:
We have planted Monsieur Tillier, Rosette Delizy, Mrs B R Cant and
Francis Dubreuil in the Tea range.

Kirra, I grow all of those and love each. When your Francis Dubreuil
blooms, you must put up pix. There's a growing realization that what is
sold here as Francis Dubreuil is actually the old HT Barcelona. We've
heard that the rose sold in Oz looks like a tea, so I'm dying of
curiosity to see what your FD looks like.

Kirra 19-08-2003 02:42 AM

Some picture of my roses

"Cass" wrote in message
.. .
In article .com.au,
Daniel Hanna wrote:

In Kirra wrote:
We have planted Monsieur Tillier, Rosette Delizy, Mrs B R Cant and
Francis Dubreuil in the Tea range.

Kirra, I grow all of those and love each. When your Francis Dubreuil
blooms, you must put up pix. There's a growing realization that what is
sold here as Francis Dubreuil is actually the old HT Barcelona. We've
heard that the rose sold in Oz looks like a tea, so I'm dying of
curiosity to see what your FD looks like.

I will provided I actually get to see it! Just last week it had a bud on it
on Tuesday. I didn't go back to my mother's until Sunday only to find petals
on the ground :( I completely missed it flowering.

My Yates Roses book (by Roger Mann) also says that it is likely that Francis
Dubriel is the old HT Barcelona. Whether some are the real thing or not, I
do not know but I will try to get a pic next time.

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
zone 10

Kirra 19-08-2003 02:42 AM

Some picture of my roses

In Kirra wrote:
We have planted Monsieur Tillier, Rosette Delizy, Mrs B R Cant and
Francis Dubreuil in the Tea range.

It's freakish Kirra - all those teas would be on my short list if I had
the space. I have Duchesse de Brabant this year. Others I look
longingly at are Hugo Roller and General Gallieni.

While I haven't specifically asked the group what I should have purchased, I
have been mentally noting for the last year different roses that people have
liked and then picked roses with names that I was familiar with. So it is
quite likely that I have picked the teas that people have mentioned they
want to grow or are already growing. I think it was from your web site that
I decided to pick Monsieur Tillier. Though I will admit to picking Rosette
Delizy because I thought the picture of the flower looked nice and not from
any particulate knowledge of the rose :)

I have been wondering about General Gallieni over the last couple of weeks
but haven't heard of Hugo Roller. I'll have to look it up.

My Mrs B R Cant gave up the ghost in over-soaked clay soil early this
year. Until then it was a great bush with the best tea blooms I've seen.

Sorry to hear that your Mrs B R Cant didn't survive but reassuring to know
that the blooms are good. Did you replant it, or was it an excuse to plant
a different rose because you now had a space :)

I also have Mme Alfred Carriere, but a local possum feeds on the new
shoots whenever they appear, so it's sulking in a corner.

This one seems to be putting on a lot of growth in comparison to the other
roses in our garden. Hopefully the possums have more than enough to eat in
the nearby bush and won't be tempted to come looking for roses. Although
there does seem to be something that munches a cane here and there in the
garden. Don't know what it is but maybe it is a possum...

Good luck with your teas!

Thanks.

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
zone 10

Daniel Hanna 19-08-2003 10:48 AM

Some picture of my roses

In Kirra wrote:
I have been wondering about General Gallieni over the last couple of
weeks but haven't heard of Hugo Roller. I'll have to look it up.

http://www.mistydowns.com.au/detaile...asp?roseID=567
It's a 1907 bred William Paul rose. Another one of those lost tea
varieties that only seems available now in Australia. The picture on
the Mistydowns site is not very flattering. It has a long heritage of
being planted near farmhouses in the Hawkesbury district. According to
Honeysuckle nursery, there are old specimens near ruins that have run
wild and bear 200+ flowers per flush. It reportedly thrives on heat.

Sorry to hear that your Mrs B R Cant didn't survive but reassuring to
know that the blooms are good. Did you replant it, or was it an
excuse to plant a different rose because you now had a space :)

I didn't replant it - replaced it with a romantica 'La Rose' for now,
but if I saw Mrs B R again I would get it in a minute. Disease
resistance was superb and it repeated pretty well.

Rosarosam 20-08-2003 05:12 AM

Some picture of my roses

G'dday
Here (NZ) there's two different Monsieur Tillier : one coming from England
and one "local".
Do you have the same thing in Australia?

Kirra 20-08-2003 08:12 AM

Some picture of my roses

"Rosarosam" wrote in message
G'dday
Here (NZ) there's two different Monsieur Tillier : one coming from England
and one "local".
Do you have the same thing in Australia?

I didn't even know there was a difference until you posted this. I did a
little research and HelpMeFind says that the New Zealand one is "aka
Archduke Joseph" and that "In Gardening with Old Roses, p. 30, Alan Sinclair
and Rosemary Thodey say that this rose (Archduke Joseph) is known in New
Zealand as 'Monsieur Tillier'".

I got my MT from a local nursery (Perrotts) and I think they order their
OGRs from Misty Downs (a guess as I saw a few Misty Downs tags on some roses
while I was at Perrots). I went to the Misty Downs site
http://www.mistydowns.com.au and they have "Synonymous Names: Archduke
Joseph" for their Monsieur Tillier. So I think it is highly possible that
the rose I have is the "local" one rather than the English one.

My MT hasn't flowered yet, but when it does I'll post some pictures and
maybe we can do a comparison between it and any pictures from people in the
Northern Hemisphere. Do you know what the differences are supposed to be
between the two roses? I noticed you have MT on your website, I presume it
is the local one ... ?

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
zone 10

Kirra 20-08-2003 08:22 AM

Some picture of my roses

"Daniel Hanna" wrote in message

I have been wondering about General Gallieni over the last couple of
weeks but haven't heard of Hugo Roller. I'll have to look it up.

http://www.mistydowns.com.au/detaile...asp?roseID=567
It's a 1907 bred William Paul rose. Another one of those lost tea
varieties that only seems available now in Australia. The picture on
the Mistydowns site is not very flattering. It has a long heritage of
being planted near farmhouses in the Hawkesbury district. According to
Honeysuckle nursery, there are old specimens near ruins that have run
wild and bear 200+ flowers per flush. It reportedly thrives on heat.

Now you know that you really shouldn't post stuff like this. I am still to
make an order from Misty Downs (Mme Isaac Piere, Nuits de Young and Baby
Faurax) and now you go and show me more! I could squeze in Hugo Roller since
it is compact, flowers lots and "Blend of Cherry Reds, Pinks & Lemon Cream"
sounds really nice. But I think GG will just have to wait because I don't
have room for another rose of this size just yet :)

Sorry to hear that your Mrs B R Cant didn't survive but reassuring to
know that the blooms are good. Did you replant it, or was it an
excuse to plant a different rose because you now had a space :)

I didn't replant it - replaced it with a romantica 'La Rose' for now,
but if I saw Mrs B R again I would get it in a minute. Disease
resistance was superb and it repeated pretty well.

My favourite type of rose in this humid environment - disease resistance and
repeatability.

Thanks,

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
zone 10

Daniel Hanna 20-08-2003 10:32 AM

Some picture of my roses

In Kirra wrote:
Do you know what the differences are supposed to be
between the two roses? I noticed you have MT on your website, I
presume it is the local one ... ?

This topic was discussed here a while ago. A google news search would
pick it up. Basically the suspicion is that the original Monsieur
Tillier only survived in Australia, while the rest of the world has
Archiduc Joseph.

The description in Roger Mann's 'Roses' suggests that he favours the
Archiduc version anyway. He lists that among his top pinks. A quick
quote:

"Some catalogues list it as Monsieur Tillier, but that is a different
rose, less full-petalled and redder in colour."

Both roses were raised in France. Mosnieur Tillier was by Bernaix in
1891, while Archiduc Joseph was by Nabonnand in 1892.