Old 22-08-2003, 08:22 PM
sham

Default Red double flowered rose repeat flowering climber

Red double flowered rose repeat flowering climber required to climb in a
shady area, any recommendations please??

Sham

Old 22-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Unique Too

"sham" writes:

Red double flowered rose repeat flowering climber required to climb in a
shady area, any recommendations please??

Roses are sun loving plants, as such, none will excel in a shady area.

Julie
Old 23-08-2003, 12:02 AM
Mark. Gooley

"sham" wrote:
Red double flowered rose repeat flowering climber required to climb in a
shady area, any recommendations please??

I think that some on-line catalogs have some suggestions for roses that
can tolerate some shade, but though I've been looking for them I can't
find them. Beales' book _Classic Roses_ has a little glyph next to some
entries in his "dictionary section" of varieties that indicate some shade
tolerence: Parkdirektor Riggers is described as "almost single," though
"deep red to crimson" and a climber. Actually, most roses descended
from R. kordesii seem to have some shade tolerance, according to Beales
anyway, but most are not climbers (some are tall bushes that could maybe
be trained as such, such as Raymond Chenault (semi-double), or Hamburger
Phoenix (semi-double)). These are all repeaters. You could try one if
you can find one.

I have NO idea how well these do in even partial shade.

Supposedly some rugosae can take a bit of shade, but only a few are red
and I don't know of any climbers among them.

My only recent experience of growing roses in partial shade suggests, at
least for the varieties I have tried, "Don't do it." But those haven't been
kordesii or rugosa roses. They do okay but barely bloom. And I'm talking
full sun all afternoon after shade in the morning, and the intense sun of 30
degrees north latitude (okay, intense compared with most of the temperate
parts of the world).

Good luck.

Mark.

Old 25-08-2003, 07:33 AM
Rosarosam

Maybe you could have a look to some of the Hybrid Perpetuals?
Jocelen.
www.rosarosam.com

Old 26-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Mark. Gooley

"Rosarosam" wrote:
Maybe you could have a look to some of the Hybrid Perpetuals?
Jocelen.
www.rosarosam.com

Beales (okay, he's not the be-all and end-all, but simply the
writer of the only reference books on roses I own) shows
only one Hybrid Perpetual as shade-tolerant, Souvenir du
Docteur Jamain. "A superb rose if kept away from scorching
sun, which it hates," he writes, and gives its size as 10 feet high
by 7 wide. "Rich ruby-red," a repeater, shade-tolerant, fragrant,
only semi-double but the cupped shape of the blossoms gives
them almost a double look.

Sounds just the thing, apart from the semi-double bit. If it can
grow to ten feet, one could probably treat it as a climber.

There may be a mess of other shade-tolerant Hybrid Perpetuals:
I don't have enough experience with them (love that Reine des
Violettes, but I've never tried it in shade).

Mark., tryin' to help with this here book-larnin'

Old 26-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Rosarosam

I grow Empereur du Maroc under a tree.
Gloire Lyonnaise (but that's a white) and Souvenir d'Alphonse Lavallee in a
semi-shade position.
Mme Victor Verdier and Surpassing Beauty (of Wolverstone) are also doing
well in a very shady position.

For more on the HPs : http://www.rosegathering.com/hybridperpetual.html

Jocelen
www.rosarosam.com

Old 27-08-2003, 07:12 AM
Bob Bauer

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 18:15:56 +0000 (UTC), "sham"
wrote:

Red double flowered rose repeat flowering climber required to climb in a
shady area, any recommendations please??
Sham

If you have 4 hours a day of full sun, the rose "All Ablaze" fits
your criteria and will work for this purpose.

How do I know? Mine is doing fine and has only 4 hours of direct
morning sun.

Bob Bauer
http://www.rose-roses.com/