Old 06-09-2003, 05:12 AM
Jan

Default Rises abd Deer!!

Anyone know of a quick remedy for the deer that are eating my rose buds??

Like something I can spray on them??

thanks..
Jan

Old 06-09-2003, 06:39 AM
dave weil

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 20:08:22 -0700, "Jan" wrote:

Anyone know of a quick remedy for the deer that are eating my rose buds??

Like something I can spray on them??

You can spray the deer with a machine gun.

Hey kids, just kidding...

Old 06-09-2003, 01:32 PM
Tim Tompkins

There are a number of commercially available deer repellants, the thing they
all have in common is that they don't work.

The only known 24X7 preventative is a fence tall enough that the deer can't
jump over.

TT

Old 06-09-2003, 03:12 PM
dave weil

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 05:39:35 -0600, "Tim Tompkins"
wrote:

There are a number of commercially available deer repellants, the thing they
all have in common is that they don't work.

The only known 24X7 preventative is a fence tall enough that the deer can't
jump over.

TT

Has anyone had success with scarecrows and perhaps some wind chimes or
other random noisemakers? I would expect deer to be mighty skittish.

Old 06-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Mark. Gooley

"Jan" wrote :
Anyone know of a quick remedy for the deer that are eating my rose buds??

Like something I can spray on them??

I've had deer DEFOLIATE rosebushes. Some died from it,
including my small R. brunonii which had just bloomed, and
my R. sericea pteracantha which had quadrupled in size from
the cutting I'd bought a few months earlier.

The following spray appears to work for me. It's merely a stronger,
nastier version of one that I've seen here and elsewhere.

3 ounces or more hot (30,00 Scoville units at least) dried peppers,
or better yet cayenne pepper powder
24 ounces to a quart of denatured alcohol (70% isopropyl might do
but I haven't tried it yet; vodka will do but is more expensive)
3 or 4 ounces of garlic (garlic powder or that ready-minced stuff
seems to be okay)
up to a dozen raw eggs (at least 4 or 5)

Soak peppers in alcohol for a few hours; overnight or longer might
be better. You can decant the liquid off of cayenne powder, but if
you're using dried peppers it might be better to reduce the mix to a
puree in a blender, then strain it through a very fine sieve or through
cheesecloth.

Add garlic or garlic powder to however much water seems to be
necessary, and puree that in a blender; strain as above.

Beat eggs until they're more of less homogenous (or use a blender).

Mix the three liquids together. Put in a sprayer and dilute to two
gallons. Spray over all the foliage, flowers, buds, and young stems.
Repeat after a heavy rain or several light ones.

Some pundits swear that the eggs are the most effective component.
The alcohol is to extract the capsaicin from the peppers. Oh, and
shop around for the garlic and the peppers. In parts of the US with
a big Latin population you can sometimes find brands aimed at them,
and the ready-miced garlic and the hot peppers are sometimes much
cheaper than those sold under other brand names. Also try those
Asian-food groceries (usually run by Koreans, according to a Korean
friend). The arbol and japones chiles (Latin) and Thai chiles (Asian)
seem to be adequately hot. Some warehouse club stores have bulk
cayenne pepper for a few dollars a pound, and the more-reasonably
-priced health food stores may have 90,000-Scoville cayenne powder
at $7/pound or less. More than $2 for 3 ounces of hot pepper is a bit
much. I've come to prefer the cayenne powder: less work.

Denatured alcohol has shot up in price: nearly $10/gallon. Cheap
70% isopropanol can be half as expensive, but, again, I haven't tried
it yet. A good test: decant from over cayenne powder, let a little of
the liquid evaporate in a dish, then taste the residue. I'll go try that.

A fence is the only sure way to prevent deer damage, though.

Mark., hoping that what's left of Henri won't add to the rain

Old 06-09-2003, 07:02 PM
dave weil

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 16:11:33 GMT, in rec.gardens.roses you wrote:

3 ounces or more hot (30,00 Scoville units at least) dried peppers,
or better yet cayenne pepper powder
24 ounces to a quart of denatured alcohol (70% isopropyl might do
but I haven't tried it yet; vodka will do but is more expensive)
3 or 4 ounces of garlic (garlic powder or that ready-minced stuff
seems to be okay)
up to a dozen raw eggs (at least 4 or 5)

Heck, add some extra virgin olive oil, some dried mustard, anchovy
paste, croutons and some chopped romaine and you'll be serving the
deer a really nice Southwestern Caesar Salad.

Oh wait, you've already got the greens...

PS, instead of doing the alcohol thing, you could probably buy some
Dave's Insanity Sauce (based on habanero peppers), or any other firey
hot habanero/scotch bonnet sauce and just add that to the eggs. After
all, the capsaicin is already extracted and suspended in a liquid and
would probably mix well with the eggs. It's a bit more expensive, but
you don't have to spend the time in extraction.

Just make sure that the sauce *is* hot. That's why I recommended
Dave's, because I know for sure how hot it is. Some other habanero
sauces might not be as concentrated...

Old 07-09-2003, 02:02 AM
Mark. Gooley

"dave weil" wrote

PS, instead of doing the alcohol thing, you could probably buy some
Dave's Insanity Sauce (based on habanero peppers), or any other firey
hot habanero/scotch bonnet sauce and just add that to the eggs. After
all, the capsaicin is already extracted and suspended in a liquid and
would probably mix well with the eggs. It's a bit more expensive, but
you don't have to spend the time in extraction.

I've gotten good results in under an hour with cayenne-pepper powder
and denatured alcohol; for all I know a long soak isn't essential even
with whole dried peppers. Might work just fine if one just put the dried
peppers in a blender, added enough alcohol to allow pureeing, and let
them whirl for a few minutes.

I'd worry about capsaicin staying with the seeds and pulp and such
that would get filtered out of sauce (sprayers kept clogging 'til I learned
to strain the mix really well), and probably add alcohol anyway.
(Remember: capsaicin is freely soluble in ethanol but only slightly
soluble in water; presumably, once one dilutes the mix to two gallons
or so, even if the capsaicin comes out of solution it should come out
as really tiny particles.) But I could just be being foolish he Dave's
Insanity and the hottest of the Mexican-made habanero sauces by El
Yucateco, such as "Salsa Kutbil-ik" (try a local Mexican grocery;
sometimes those have it at a reasonable price; the specialty hot-sauce
retailers mark it up to double the price or more), probably have enough
kick even without bringing in alcohol to get every bit of heat into
solution. In Florida near the sugar-cane fields (any town northeast, east,
or southeast of Lake Okeechobee, from maybe Ft. Pierce south), many
big grocery stores have a Jamaican section, where one can buy five-ounce
bottles full of mangled orange lumps labeled "Crushed Scotch Bonnet
Peppers Sauce." Not too expensive, and quite strong.

Just make sure that the sauce *is* hot. That's why I recommended
Dave's, because I know for sure how hot it is. Some other habanero
sauces might not be as concentrated...

They do vary. Many list "carrots" ahead of "habanero peppers" in the
ingredients, even those labeled "Habanero Sauce" boldly. "Salsa
Kutbil-ik" lists habaneros as the first ingredient, and the "Crushed
Scotch Bonnet Peppers Sauce" by JCS lists, sure enough, Scotch
Bonnet peppers. If the hot peppers don't come first, don't even consider
it. If a major ingredient is pepper oleoresin, it means they've added
extra heat extracted from other peppers: the oleoresin usually has a
fair amount of capsaicin.

I'm still gonna build a fence. If the rains stop long enough, I mean.

Mark., Henri fizzled out, thank Heaven

Old 08-09-2003, 03:02 PM
J. Del Col

"Jan" wrote in message ...
Anyone know of a quick remedy for the deer that are eating my rose buds??

A Winchester or Remington. I try to even the score every year.

An electric fence is the only really effective answer.

J. Del Col
Old 08-09-2003, 11:08 PM
Theo Asir

Don't you mean buck shot Dave.

I wouldn't mention machine gun so lightly
with our resident super patriot attorney general
snooping around.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 12-09-2003, 11:04 PM
Anne Lurie

I missed the original post, but about the fence.......

Just a few days ago, I saw a film clip (background for a country singer),
and I was *amazed* to see how easily 3 deer jumped over a 4' fence, one by
one, no running start!!! Just up and over, nice and easy, sigh........

I'll have to start paying more attention to deer repellants, now that we've
seen them in our backyard. (I had thought our dogs would keep them out, but
I guess the deer have wised up to the Invisible Fence concept -- heaven
knows, the local pet rabbits seemed to have figured out exactly where the
dogs could go.)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 13-09-2003, 03:42 PM
J. Del Col

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message ...
I missed the original post, but about the fence.......

Just a few days ago, I saw a film clip (background for a country singer),
and I was *amazed* to see how easily 3 deer jumped over a 4' fence, one by
one, no running start!!! Just up and over, nice and easy, sigh........

To keep deer out an ordinary fence should be at least six feet high.

A three strand electrified fence works much better.

Deer repellents are nearly worthless in the long run.

I zing Bambi and his pals in the butt with a pellet gun. It helps a
little;
at least they no longer stand there chomping when I open the garage
door.

If you have idiots in the neighborhood who think deer are cute and
need to be fed, you will never be rid of the bamboids. Putting out
food for deer is like putting up a "Free Eats!" sign in every yard
nearby. When they finish eating the corn or other goodies that fools
put out, the deer simply roam around looking for more. When they
can't find it, they'll eat what's available.

J. Del Col ( who is replacing deer-mauled roses with Bambi-proof
plants)
Old 13-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Mark. Gooley

"J. Del Col" wrote

J. Del Col ( who is replacing deer-mauled roses with Bambi-proof
plants)

Surprisingly few are actually Bambi-proof. Oleander, I suppose,
and other toxic ones, but deer seem willing to eat almost anything,
especially any irrigated plant during a dry spell. I've had citrus
trees almost stripped by deer, and deer are supposed to hate those.
Roses are merely more prone to attack at almost any time, as deer
genuinely seem to enjoy eating any part except mature wood.

The slanting electrified fence described in this link is supposed to
work, and at relatively low cost. I plan to give it a try eventually:
http://www.ext.vt.edu/news/periodica...997-10-02.html

Mark., some roses hacked back seem to be recovering now

Old 13-09-2003, 10:32 PM
J. Del Col

"Mark. Gooley" wrote in message ...
"J. Del Col" wrote

J. Del Col ( who is replacing deer-mauled roses with Bambi-proof
plants)

Surprisingly few are actually Bambi-proof. Oleander, I suppose,
and other toxic ones, but deer seem willing to eat almost anything,
especially any irrigated plant during a dry spell. I've had citrus
trees almost stripped by deer, and deer are supposed to hate those.
Roses are merely more prone to attack at almost any time, as deer
genuinely seem to enjoy eating any part except mature wood.

They don't seem to like peonies much, so I've put in quite a few of those.

If the deer bother my tree peonies, it's curtains for Bambi.

J. Del Col