Old 09-09-2003, 11:22 AM
Daniel Hanna

Default Some new teas... and an HP

Well it's spring in Australia. I've gradually developed the 'bug' for
old tea roses, and when two of my new HT purchases were DOA as bare
roots I decided to splurge on:

* Souvenir d'un Ami
* Triomphe du Luxembourg
* Ferdinand Pichard (a hybrid perpetual)

Any users here with experience on these? I'd love to hear from you.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Shiva

Daniel Hanna wrote:

* Ferdinand Pichard (a hybrid perpetual)

While I have no experience with this particular rose,
I have grown two hybrid perpetuals--Reine des Violettes
and Paul Neyron. They have an identical growth habit--
throwing long canes that result in a large sort of fountain
shape, unless trained as a climber. My plants are young--
but I also notice that foliage is kind of sparse, and has
a dusty blue-green shade.

Old 09-09-2003, 11:05 PM
Daniel Hanna

In aHlwYXRpYQ==.1f8cb363e30a8076f23fcecfd15b4ddf@106 3132522.cotse.net
Shiva wrote:
I have grown two hybrid perpetuals--Reine des Violettes
and Paul Neyron. They have an identical growth habit--
throwing long canes that result in a large sort of fountain
shape, unless trained as a climber. My plants are young--
but I also notice that foliage is kind of sparse, and has
a dusty blue-green shade.

Thanks for the info Shiva. I was told by the man who sold Ferdinand to
me that the HPs were just big all round... and that they were the
hungriest when it came to feeding.

The 'fountain' shape also checks out, although I apparently have the
option of pegging the long branches to the ground to encourage loads of
lateral flowers along the length. Not sure I want to do that, but we'll
see.