Old 13-09-2003, 03:02 AM
Pam

Default miniture roses

Howdy all,

Just wondering, I live in an apartment and adore miniture roses.
Well, don't have alot of luck with them other than about six months of
blooms and then they die off. I land up getting aggrivated at my
husband for pruning them back too much and a few months later he
replaces it feeling guilty. Any suggestions for helping them to
survive without my sweetheart going through the "YOU KILLED IT" speech
yet again? Thanks in advance.

Pam
Old 13-09-2003, 08:22 AM
dave weil

On 12 Sep 2003 17:50:15 -0700, (Pam) wrote:

Howdy all,

Just wondering, I live in an apartment and adore miniture roses.
Well, don't have alot of luck with them other than about six months of
blooms and then they die off. I land up getting aggrivated at my
husband for pruning them back too much and a few months later he
replaces it feeling guilty. Any suggestions for helping them to
survive without my sweetheart going through the "YOU KILLED IT" speech
yet again? Thanks in advance.

Pam

You'll keep getting the speech until you realize that miniature roses
aren't indoor plants.

If I were you, I'd buy them and keep them inside for about 2 weeks to
a month. Then, when they start getting barren, take them outside and
plant them in an apartment manager-approved location near your
apartment.

Water and feed them regularly and pretty soon, you'll have a nice
little garden that you can call your own.

Roses pretty much can't survive indoors though. A compromise would be
if you have an outdoor deck or patio. Make sure they spend a lot of
time on the patio.

Keep in mind that this will work until winter. Then you're going to
have to find a way to protect them in the pots. You can plant them in
a hole in the pot, or you can temporarily plant them in the ground
until spring. They will look dead, but roses go dormant. This inn't to
say that you might not kill them, but they should come back in the
spring if you take care of them. Alternately, you can leave them in
toe pots, but you'll have to wrap the pots in insulating material,
unless you live in Florida, south Texas, or parts of SoCal where it
rarely freezes.
Old 18-09-2003, 10:15 PM
Theo Asir

pretty much can't survive indoors though. A compromise would be
if you have an outdoor deck or patio. Make sure they spend a lot of
time on the patio.

Its hard to grow roses indoors for extended periods
but its not impossible. I understand where you are coming from
dave but it can be done. I grow several indoors.

There are even some advantages
-less disease
-year round flowering
-more control on conditions.

I will warn you that it is not a low
maintenance occupation

First you must bone up on all the deficiencies & diseases
(particularly spider mites) roses can suffer indoors.

Second variety selection is very important.
I recommend getting some of those
ornamental roses in grocery stores.
Nursery miniatures tend to behave more
like garden plants and don't bloom well.

Third find a west facing window or North facing
window where the rose will get year round
'direct SUN' year round with heat. This is absolutely critical.
Grow lights are no substitute. Roses need sun heat.

Collect Rose insecticides for battling infestations.
Get some mild pelletized fertilizer like vigoro. Never
ever use any miracle gro or other strong ferts.
Must apply slow release pellets every 2 months or so.
Get iron & other micro nutrient formulations.

Change pot soil every year.
Don't try to make the rose go dormant.
Every 3-4 years the rose will start
under performing when it must be replaced.

This is just some advice.
You must check the plant every day.
Diseases & dificiencies must be dealt
with the same day.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 18-09-2003, 11:08 PM
dave weil

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:06:15 GMT, in rec.gardens.roses you wrote:

pretty much can't survive indoors though. A compromise would be
if you have an outdoor deck or patio. Make sure they spend a lot of
time on the patio.

Its hard to grow roses indoors for extended periods
but its not impossible. I understand where you are coming from
dave but it can be done. I grow several indoors.

Hence the quibble phrase "pretty much".

I'm sure that there's someone who could grow cacti in a swamp as well.

[...]

Good advice all. I would note though that 3 or 4 years life span
sounds like just a longer version of what the rest of us put up with -
i.e. 3 or 4 months g.