Old 21-09-2003, 01:32 AM
KrisW

Default hearty rosebush

Recently a landlord indiscriminately leveled all plants in our front
yard. I volunteered to relandscape the plot. The substantial and
proud rose bush was cropped nearly to the roots but now has produced 5
hearty new stalks the tallest already reaching 4 ft. The question is
whether I can pare these back before winter (I am in New York City) or
if I should let them grow at will until the recommended pruning at the
end of winter. Don't know exactly the species...still researching
this. Can tell you that they are small and compact deep pink
blossoms. Thanks for any info.

KW
Old 21-09-2003, 11:43 PM
Anne Lurie

KW,

I can't help you with ID'ing the rose, but before you spend too much time &
effort on the project, I suggest you find out what the landlord expects (or
hopes to see), so that you aren't "second-guessed" too much by someone who
knows nothing about plants.

I *think* that the usual thing in NYC would be to prune roses conservatively
in the fall because you might have some dieback to deal with in the
pring -- however, if the bush is growing that fast, the landlord may
simply have it chopped back willy-nilly again.

Good luck!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

om...