Old 22-09-2003, 12:36 AM
Shiva

Default Simply Marvelous Lives!

I really thought it was dead, but no, it has three blooms! Problem is,
they are tiny, literally miniature-sized.

Anyone else growing this, and if so, are the blooms small?
Old 22-09-2003, 12:02 PM
fantayzya

Hiya,

I put this rose in this past spring as well and it's been considerably less
than impressive for me too. Yes, the blooms have been itty bitty and sparse
and the canes are thin and wimpy too. I'm not sure why, though admittedly
my garden hasn't been babied as much this year (I got hurt at work early on
and wasn't able to, still not completely up to speed) I've decided to let
it stay as this is just the first summer, but of the roses I put in this
year, this one is my least favorite. From the pics and reports I had seen
prior, I sure wouldn't have expected that to be the case.

s.com...

Old 22-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Gail Futoran

"Shiva" wrote in message
s.com...
I really thought it was dead, but no, it has three blooms!

Problem is,
they are tiny, literally miniature-sized.

Anyone else growing this, and if so, are the blooms small?

I planted mine April '02. It currently has one bloom on it
(very open, faded) that measures almost 3" across. It has a
couple other buds on it that aren't open yet. Mine has done
ok.

Gail
San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 24-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Shiva

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 06:57:32 -0400, "fantayzya"
wrote:

Hiya,

I put this rose in this past spring as well and it's been considerably less
than impressive for me too. Yes, the blooms have been itty bitty and sparse
and the canes are thin and wimpy too.

Hmm. I notices that about the canes, too. I thought it was just my
poor cultivation until I saw the blooms, which were actually
commensurate to the canes.

I'm not sure why, though admittedly
my garden hasn't been babied as much this year (I got hurt at work early on
and wasn't able to, still not completely up to speed)

Sorry about your injury. I wish I had a reason half that good for
neglecting my roses this year. It just rained way too much, then
canker and dead bare roots and vole damage were so disheartening I
didn't bother.

I've decided to let
it stay as this is just the first summer, but of the roses I put in this
year, this one is my least favorite. From the pics and reports I had seen
prior, I sure wouldn't have expected that to be the case.

Me either. Listen--have you seen Royal Amethyst? This one shows all
the signs of great natural vigor--and has good-sized, super fragrant
deep mauve blooms with nice form. Even under poor condtions it
continued to bloom its heart out. I love it.

ws.com...

Old 24-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Shiva

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:40:36 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

I planted mine April '02. It currently has one bloom on it
(very open, faded) that measures almost 3" across. It has a
couple other buds on it that aren't open yet. Mine has done
ok.

I take it it did not produce many blooms in 03?

Gail
San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 24-09-2003, 06:32 PM
fantayzya

Wow! that's gorgeous! I'll have to do some checking around to be sure it
stands a chance here. The little bit of checking I did lead me to believe
it's like me and doesn't like the cold (that's why I stay in MI lol.) Shur
is purty though and if it has good scent, it's pretty much everything I
could want in a rose, cept the cold thing that is. Thanks for the idea!

s.com...
wrote:

[...]

ws.com...

Old 25-09-2003, 04:45 AM
Gail Futoran

s.com...
wrote:

I planted mine April '02. It currently has one bloom on

it
(very open, faded) that measures almost 3" across. It

has a
couple other buds on it that aren't open yet. Mine has

done
ok.

I take it it did not produce many blooms in 03?

Wish I could answer that. I'm not very observant when it
comes to my roses. When someone asks a question I'll run
out to the garden to look, and that's probably the first
time in months I've looked closely at that rose.

Some of my roses produce a lot of blooms; some produce
relatively few. With about 150 roses and few repeat
varieties, my attitude is if the shrub is otherwise healthy
(not a lot of dieback, no canker, etc.), I leave it in.

Gail

Old 25-09-2003, 11:32 AM
Shiva

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:29:25 -0400, "fantayzya"
wrote:

Wow! that's gorgeous! I'll have to do some checking around to be sure it
stands a chance here. The little bit of checking I did lead me to believe
it's like me and doesn't like the cold (that's why I stay in MI lol.) Shur
is purty though and if it has good scent, it's pretty much everything I
could want in a rose, cept the cold thing that is. Thanks for the idea!

I missed that you are in MI--I guess this means that your mileage may
vary quite a bit, so I shouldn't make recommendations. But for what it
is worth, I have been in search of the perfect Mauve for a while, and
this one is the best yet. HOWEVER--I had high hopes for Melodee
Parfumee, which died as a bare root before even one bloom, so I sure
cannot comment on that one. Barbra Streisand was GORGEOUS and really
fragrant, a big, beautiful "meaty" rose ("good substance" as they say)
that really muscled out the blooms before it succumbed to canker. I
would try that one again. Blue Nile, which went the way of Barbra, was
also gorgeous but paler, along the lines of Lagerfeld and Sterling
Silver. It had a distinct wimpiness about it that told me it was
definitely kin to these, and it is. Are you growing any other mauves?
Old 25-09-2003, 11:32 AM
Shiva

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 03:24:47 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

I take it it did not produce many blooms in 03?

Wish I could answer that. I'm not very observant when it
comes to my roses. When someone asks a question I'll run
out to the garden to look, and that's probably the first
time in months I've looked closely at that rose.

Well, congrats on your busy life. Some consider it a sign of
success--I would like to consider mine that way, but sometimes I
wonder.

Some of my roses produce a lot of blooms; some produce
relatively few. With about 150 roses and few repeat
varieties, my attitude is if the shrub is otherwise healthy
(not a lot of dieback, no canker, etc.), I leave it in.

Gail, how do you care for that many? I think I was up to about 100
before I lost so many this year to canker, voles, etc. I had a really
hard time just doing the basics for 60.

Gail

Old 25-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Gail Futoran

"Shiva" wrote in message
s.com...
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 03:24:47 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

[snip]

Gail, how do you care for that many? I think I was up to

about 100
before I lost so many this year to canker, voles, etc. I

had a really
hard time just doing the basics for 60.

A lot of it is luck and location - Southcentral TX is a good
area for growing stuff. Since I started planting roses late
in 1998, I've lost a dozen or more roses per year, either
due to heat or late frost - until this year, when I have
lost none. So maybe it has something to do with beds
maturing or shrubs maturing. Certainly nothing much to do
with me!

I'm retired, but I don't spend as much time in the garden as
I might. I'm not as good about weeding as I should be, but
I'm faithful about watering. I have a system where I just
hook up hoses. Feeding is haphazard but I use compost &
mulch annually, plus alfalfa tea spring & fall, and I used
good
soil to start. And when a variety dies, I often replace it
with something different until I get a rose that survives!

Gail

Blooming marvelous David Hill United Kingdom 6 16-12-2013 07:56 PM
Simply Marvelous? Shiva Roses 10 21-03-2011 06:28 PM
Simply Marvelous Shiva Roses 0 15-05-2004 07:13 PM
Simply Marvelous Shiva Roses 0 11-11-2003 06:12 PM
Simply marvelous HCweb Bamboo 0 28-03-2003 06:56 PM