Old 01-10-2003, 06:10 AM
Shiva

Default Fall! Yippee!

Cool dry air, gorgeous deep colors in the blooms, pleasant gardening
weather--anyone else in my hemi enjoying the autumn? Ahhhhh! **!
Old 01-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Charles Perry

Enjoy it some for me. Frost two nights in a row and a very hard freeze
last night has pretty much ended gardening here except for late planting
some tulips and potted roses. I will be pulling up the dead annuals and
looking for tomatoes that might be salvaged. It is a nice blue sky I
see out the window as I sit here trying to work up the courage to go out
in the cold and add my old annual blooming friends to the compost pile.

Regards,

Charles

--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **

Old 02-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Shiva

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 13:43:02 GMT, Charles Perry
wrote:

Enjoy it some for me. Frost two nights in a row and a very hard freeze
last night has pretty much ended gardening here except for late planting
some tulips and potted roses.

Aww, poor thing. Where are you? Did you get any sort of transition
from summer to winter this year?

I will be pulling up the dead annuals and
looking for tomatoes that might be salvaged.

I still have dead bare root roses to dig out Not a red letter year for
me, rose wise, I'm afraid.

It is a nice blue sky I
see out the window as I sit here trying to work up the courage to go out
in the cold and add my old annual blooming friends to the compost pile.

I look forward to cold weather since we have so much 80F+ weather
here. I have come to hate the heat. But I do live for spring and fall.
There is one thing I envy some of the west coast folks for--and one
thing only--and that is their temps.

Old 02-10-2003, 04:32 PM
Charles Perry

Shiva wrote:

Aww, poor thing. Where are you? Did you get any sort of transition
from summer to winter this year?

Minnesota zone 4a, no transition at all this year. One day 90+, the next
60's, the next 50's. There was only one day between the air conditioning and
the furnace. It was down into the lower 20's again last night. The few
things I covered don't look like they will recover.

I still have dead bare root roses to dig out Not a red letter year for
me, rose wise, I'm afraid.

I am sorry you lost roses. losing annuals early just makes me grumpy for a
day or two. Losing roses is a tragedy that causes real grief.

I look forward to cold weather since we have so much 80F+ weather

here. I have come to hate the heat. But I do live for spring and fall.

I hope you have a nice long fall season. Now that we have had a hard freeze
there is a hope here for some Indian Summer.

Regards,

Charles

Old 02-10-2003, 05:02 PM
dave weil

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 14:29:01 GMT, Charles Perry
wrote:

Shiva wrote:

[...]

We've had an early start to fall in the past couple of days. the
nights have been more like Halloween. it got down in the upper 30s
last night. But it's warming up nicely. We had a mild spring, a
moderate summer (only got hot toward the end) and now I wonder what
the winter's going to be like.

Normally I have blooming roses well into November, but I wonder if
this early cold snap is going to trigger premature dormancy. It
wouldn't bother me in the least, but it *will* be interesting to see
how the roses react. As I said, we seem to be about 3 weeks ahead of
schedule.

Old 02-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Theo Asir

Had my first mild frost last night.

Roses handle short periods of frost fairly well.
Last year my roses bloomed till november
despite early frosts in mid October.

On thing to do is stop watering.
Last year I forgot to turn of my drip
and found ice forming under some plants.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 02-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Joe

wrote:

Shiva wrote:

[...]

In Calgary its about the nicest fall you could want. Daytime highs are
still 70 and the nights about 35. There's still new blooms opening on all
my roses, and some like the Mordens look much better now, colours intensify.
Clematis, cranesbills, dianthus, delphinium, and campanulas are also still
putting on a show. Leaves are only just turning yellow on most trees.

Old 02-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Unique Too

What passes for fall is here also. That means highs in the low to mid 80's,
nights cooling down to less than 75. It's nice, very nice. We've had the
windows open since Monday and the house feels good, lots of fresh air to get
rid of that stuffiness after being closed all summer.
I've spent several hours in the yard this week. By this time of year the
summer annuals are overgrown and taking over. I filled two garbage cans with
trimmed plants and worked on some of the roses. Double Delight looked awful,
very few leaves and all gangly. It was either get out the shovel or cut it way
back. The prunners won the battle and it's now about 18" high. Hopefully,
we'll keep this cooler weather and it will be able to recover. I'm not
concerned with any new growth being cold damaged, we have several months before
there's too much chance for frost.
There's lots of dieback on some of the larger roses. With some assistance I
cut my way behind Crepuscule and Mrs. BR Cant and filled another can with small
dead branches. The only safe way to get back there is covered with leather,
The Missus has some nasty thorns. Found a couple of canes growing on the roof,
they had followed the palm fronds up and over. And HMF says it gets about 4X4,
not in this climate! It even surpasses the size listed for the climbing
version of 10'-20'. The roof is about 20' at that point and these canes were
at least 10' over that.
Purple Buttons is putting out non-stop flowers. Since it was no more than a
rooted twig a few months ago, I am trying to keep the buds pinched off. But
it's a loosing battle, this one wants to bloom and bloom alot!
Well, enough talk about roses, I need to get back out there and work on them
some more. I hope everyone with fall weather is enjoying it as much as I am
right now.

Julie

Old 02-10-2003, 06:12 PM
dave weil

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 15:38:39 GMT, "Joe"
wrote:

[...]

To answer you and Theo, i was just commenting on the unusal nature of
the early cold. I don't expect the plants to instantly shut down, but
I'm wondering what effect the premature temperature triggers will have
on the roses. We had a really mild time last year until the end of
November and that's what my roses are acclimated towards.
Old 02-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Shiva

Charles Perry wrote:

Minnesota zone 4a, no transition at all this year. One day 90+, the next
60's, the next 50's. There was only one day between the air conditioning and
the furnace. It was down into the lower 20's again last night. The few
things I covered don't look like they will recover.

That's terrible. Here we may not have a hard freeze all winter, or we might
have a quick cold snap that causes lots of damage because the roses are not
dormant. However, I have only lost one rose (a first-year own root Joyfulness)
to cold, even though I do not winter protect. The one year I went ovverboard
and piled mulch around them, I lost several the next spring due to canker from
the moisture buildup over the cold season.

I still have dead bare root roses to dig out Not a red letter year for
me, rose wise, I'm afraid.

I am sorry you lost roses. losing annuals early just makes me grumpy for a
day or two. Losing roses is a tragedy that causes real grief.

Ha! We have the same feeling about that. The bare roots didn't hurt much, but
my 3-year-old Granada did--and Sunsprite. Both great roses, to me, and fairly
well established. You can never get that time back.

I look forward to cold weather since we have so much 80F+ weather

here. I have come to hate the heat. But I do live for spring and fall.

I hope you have a nice long fall season. Now that we have had a hard freeze
there is a hope here for some Indian Summer.

Best wishes for a warm spell!

Regards,

Charles

Old 03-10-2003, 02:32 PM
dave weil

So, I just went outside to find ice on the windshield of my car. The
low was supposed to only be 38 and it's 38 now, but apparently we've
had some icy fog here. I've been in Nashville for almost 7 years now
and I've *never* seen ice this early. I just hope that the tropicals I
have outside didn't freeze (I've got a ficus and schieffileria and
rubber plant still outside). There's also some frost on the ground.
Unbelievable!

I guess I'll see later whether or not I've got any damage to tender
growth (I've got a lot of it at the moment).

Old 03-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Charles Perry

Joe wrote:

In Calgary its about the nicest fall you could want. Daytime highs are
still 70 and the nights about 35. There's still new blooms opening on all
my roses...

Well, Joe in Calgary, I wonder where the cold air is comming from? They are
blaming it here on an "Alberta Clipper". Enjoy the good weather while you can.
I know that it can turn on a dime up there. Maybe 25 years ago my wife and I
were camping a little West and a bit North of Calgary the third week of July.
We were surprized one morning to wake up to find frost over everything. I still
remember the wild Alberta roses growing and blooming in the hills near Banf. I
bought a souvenier package of wild rose seeds, I think I still have them
somewhere.

Regards,

Charles

Old 05-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Shiva

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 07:26:14 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

So, I just went outside to find ice on the windshield of my car. The
low was supposed to only be 38 and it's 38 now, but apparently we've
had some icy fog here. I've been in Nashville for almost 7 years now
and I've *never* seen ice this early.

Poor thing. I imagine it is not far away for us. It was in the forties
the other night. I still have potted roses I have not planted, grrrr.
I think I might put them in larger pots and keep them on the porch
until spring.

I just hope that the tropicals I
have outside didn't freeze (I've got a ficus and schieffileria and
rubber plant still outside). There's also some frost on the ground.
Unbelievable!

I still have a ficus outside that I am afraid I am saying sayonara to
.. It is at that "too big and gangly" stage that they never get over if
placed in a house without enough light every winter. It is a shame, as
I love the leaves and general shape of these trees.

I guess I'll see later whether or not I've got any damage to tender
growth (I've got a lot of it at the moment).

Me too. I hate to admit it, but I am beginning to see the draw of the
rose massacre for the prune-happy. I had to cut so much canker off,
and the pruning brought great new growth. I suppose I will hard-prune
this winter to see if it helps them in the spring. Plus, less cane,
less surface for canker.

Old 05-10-2003, 07:02 PM
dave weil

wrote:

[...]

Heh. It's funny, this ficus had a BEAUTIFUL shape when I bought it. Of
course, in the days folowing the transport home, it started shedding
most of its leaves. Usually they come back, but I found more and more
dead branches having to be cut off. Finally the top shoots started
dying and I literally had to top it off. There were only a couple of
live branches left and it looked stunted and ugly. It looked about
dead.

It took most of this summer out on the porch, but it actually looks
great again, and the topping has actually thickened the trunk. It
looks really cool now. Of course, I will have to move it inside soon
and we'll go through the whole thing all over again. I don't have
great indoor light. However, I'm really impressed with how it came
back after chopping off the top two feet.

If you're going to dump it anyway, maybe you can try a severe topping
as an experiment. Consider it a bonsai-type experiment...

I guess I'll see later whether or not I've got any damage to tender
growth (I've got a lot of it at the moment).

Me too. I hate to admit it, but I am beginning to see the draw of the
rose massacre for the prune-happy. I had to cut so much canker off,
and the pruning brought great new growth. I suppose I will hard-prune
this winter to see if it helps them in the spring. Plus, less cane,
less surface for canker.

I'm leaning that way as well. My Felicia is a good example. Now, the
bottom supporting growth is really woody and I'm not happy with the
shape. I now wish I had been more aggressive the first two years. The
consensus here was that I shouldn't prune. I'm not expressing sour
grapes or anything, but I'm thinking that it actually *did* need some
pruning to keep growth on the lower part of the bush.

In general, looks like the early frost didn't do any significant
damage. Fortunately.

Yippee K Barrett Orchids 17 14-12-2007 05:58 AM
Yippee...just put the plants in! Kevin and Karin Ponds 3 05-09-2005 03:40 PM
Yippee rain at Stroud Road! David Hare-Scott Australia 2 02-07-2004 07:02 PM
Yippee Frog Spawn Natalie United Kingdom 6 18-03-2003 09:44 AM
OT Yippee! Thanks Shiva! Julie Roses 1 05-02-2003 10:54 PM