Old 10-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Shiva

Default Preparing Roses for Winter in Zone 7

This is a great time of year to get some thoughts on this.

The problem is, variable temps and the possibility of

a. cold snaps in which the temps go from 70s to 20s and stay there a
few nights and

b. no real freeze at all, so that mounding with mulch induces canker
and other rot and fungus.

One thing to bear in mind is that in "my" zone 7, it is nearly always
very wet.

Do I protect or not? Should I actually remove the mulch to discourage
canker? The mulch has provided a great home to voles who have feasted
on my favorite roses. Some of my roses are babies--one and two-year
own-roots.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Old 15-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Theo Asir

Shiva,

I'll repeat what I told dave.
Roses are not annuals so overnight
freezes don't shut down their juices
so to speak.

Last october we had snow and yet
the leaves were undamaged and the plants
continued to bloom well into november.

In your climate I'd think they'd bloom into
december. I'd only protect or mulch if there
is a threat of 10F or lower tempreture for
extended periods.

Of course there are the tender ones that
I don't know what to tell you about. I don't grow
them.

My roses get no protection, no mounding, nothing.
They make it through winter just fine. Even St Patrick
survived last year -8F cold fairly well.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

s.com...

Old 16-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Shiva

Theo Asir wrote:

Shiva,

I'll repeat what I told dave.

Oops, sorry, I missed it.

Roses are not annuals so overnight
freezes don't shut down their juices
so to speak.

Last october we had snow and yet
the leaves were undamaged and the plants
continued to bloom well into november.

Theo--for the most part I know you are right, because I
have only lost one rose to cold. But I DID lose that one
(Michael's ownroot Joyfulness, in its second year) after
a quick cold snap--2 nights in the upper twenties. It was mulched,
but not mounded.

In your climate I'd think they'd bloom into
december. I'd only protect or mulch if there
is a threat of 10F or lower tempreture for
extended periods.

They do bloom through December, but are winding
down now. I'll get just a few after Thanksgiving.
It rarely gets to 10 here.

Of course there are the tender ones that
I don't know what to tell you about. I don't grow
them.

Well there you go, Theo. That's the majority of
what I grow--tender roses.

My roses get no protection, no mounding, nothing.
They make it through winter just fine. Even St Patrick
survived last year -8F cold fairly well.

You coldweather rose stud you. G

thanks for trying.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

s.com...

Old 16-10-2003, 07:32 PM
Theo Asir

Well there you go, Theo. That's the majority of
what I grow--tender roses.

My roses get no protection, no mounding, nothing.
They make it through winter just fine. Even St Patrick
survived last year -8F cold fairly well.

You coldweather rose stud you. G

Not anymore cos according to USDA I'm
now a solid Zone 6b. Hah!

Getting back your question you are right
moisture and cold weather don't mix well
with roses.

One thing that might help is to stop watering
in early november. This will hopefully let the ground
dry out a little and also drive the plant into dormancy.

But honestly I do grow several tender roses, St Patrick
America, Veterans Honor, Morgo & dick Koster, Rosemary rose
and Gruss an aachen.

As long as their roots/grafts don't freeze solid in ice/moisture
they always spring back irrespective of top damage.

In you're mild climate you may not see any
damage even for the most delicate rose.

I'd worry more about the roots than the
above ground part.

--