Old 10-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Roger Bennett

Default Age of rose cuttings

I've been lurking this newsgroup for a while now and I finally have a
question. Last spring, I successfully started two cuttings out of five from
an old rose bush in my yard (I'm guessing at least 20-30 years) and I'm now
wondering how long I can expect the starts to live compared to their parent.
Are they already as old as their parent root stock or has their genetic
time-clock restarted as if they were seedlings. Not that it matters since
they will all probably outlive me, but I'm really curious if there's any
research on the subject since the cutting starts are genetically identical
clones of the parent plant.

RGB
Zone 5 (OH)

Old 11-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Daniel Hanna

In .net Roger Bennett
wrote:
Are they already as old as their parent root stock or has their
genetic time-clock restarted as if they were seedlings.

Since nearly all purchased roses are propagated from old stock, your
cutting will be a new plant that will have a normal lifespan for a new
plant.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:22 AM
Charles Perry

Roger Bennett wrote:

I'm now
wondering how long I can expect the starts to live compared to their parent.
Are they already as old as their parent root stock or has their genetic
time-clock restarted as if they were seedlings....

...anyresearch on the subject since the cutting starts are genetically
identical
clones of the parent plant.

More tales than hard research to my recollection. Some of the cloned animals,
such as Dolly the sheep, were reported to show signs of acelerated aging among
other abnormalities. When it comes to plants, I recall reading that fruit trees
that were grafted from mature trees would bear fruit sooner than seed grown
plants of similar age and size because somehow the grafted branch "knew" it was
old enough to bear fruit. However, many seed grown roses as well as cuttings
seem to want to bloom right off the mark.

It is probably a non factor when it comes to roses. I have seen many, many
roses die, but none of old age.

It is an interesting question. I will ask my niece who does research at Davis
if she knows of anyone doing work on the subject. I probably won't see her till
Christmas though.

Regards

Charles
--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **

Old 19-10-2003, 07:22 AM
Snooze

"Roger Bennett" wrote in message
link.net...
I've been lurking this newsgroup for a while now and I finally have a
question. Last spring, I successfully started two cuttings out of five

from
an old rose bush in my yard (I'm guessing at least 20-30 years) and I'm

now
wondering how long I can expect the starts to live compared to their

parent.

Roger, even if the new plant had an age of 30 years, the rose bush, if given
the proper nutrients, sunlight and water, will outlive your grandchildren.
It has been mentioned in this newsgroup several times, that there are rose
bushes growing in colonial gardens that are almost 200 years old.

Sameer

What is the 'age' of plant cuttings? BlackThumb Gardening 4 14-04-2012 06:36 AM
Rock elm cuttings no go, but sour cherry cuttings are going [email protected] Plant Science 0 15-08-2008 08:15 AM
Sugar Maple age kate alt.forestry 18 06-05-2003 03:23 AM
Mud Settle-age BenignVanilla Ponds 6 05-05-2003 03:56 PM
[IBC] Prove the Age of Trees John - NJ Bonsai 5 24-02-2003 05:39 AM