Old 12-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Shiva

Default Distant Drums' First Fall

In the cooler, drier air, this rose is as I have seen it in
photos--the center a warm tan and the outer petals mauve. Wonderful
fragrance, really interesting, some anise and myrrh in there. Pleasant
shrubby, rounded shape, too. But it shows its David Austin heritage in
that each bloom does not last long. Which is why I have three.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Daniel Hanna

In m Shiva wrote:
But it shows its David Austin heritage in
that each bloom does not last long.

Shiva, I'm no Austin apologist but some of his breeds are very long
lasting, both on the bush and in the vase. Of the ones I have grown, I
would rate the following as short lived:

Heritage
Graham Thomas

and the following are long lived:

Abraham Darby
Radio Times
A Shropshire Lad
The Squire
Old 13-10-2003, 11:05 PM
Shiva

Daniel Hanna wrote:

In m Shiva wrote:
But it shows its David Austin heritage in
that each bloom does not last long.

Shiva, I'm no Austin apologist

[Note: posted this once via Teranews but it hasn't
shown ... so there may be a duplicate.]

No reason to apologize in my book. I love
Austins, and have no need for roses that
last ten days on the bush and in the vase.
I like my fresh flowers fresh.

but some of his breeds are very long
lasting, both on the bush and in the vase. Of the ones I have grown, I
would rate the following as short lived:

Heritage
Graham Thomas

I would add

Tamora
Pat Austin
Molineux
Tradescant
Jude the Obscure
Evelyn
Golden Celebration

and the following are long lived:

Abraham Darby
Radio Times
A Shropshire Lad
The Squire

My Abes are very young, but I have noticed
that they hold their petals better than most
Austins. My Radio Times is really tiny, still
recuperating from being mowed to the ground by
a helper last spring. Can't wait until it is
big enough to bloom steadily. I've never seen
A Shropshire Lad, is it one of the pale ones?
As for The Squire--if it resembles Tradecant in
color but holds up a bit longer, I will just have
to have it.

Old 14-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Daniel Hanna

In aHlwYXRpYQ==.0c3b73929070c3d4f8f4d2647c95aed4@106 6082138.cotse.net
Shiva wrote:
My Radio Times is really tiny, still
recuperating from being mowed to the ground by
a helper last spring. Can't wait until it is
big enough to bloom steadily.

I'm so glad you got this one, Shiva. My favourite Austin, better than
even Abraham Darby. Both the blooms and the fragrance are stunning.
Mildew is the only drawback but the bush is so strong that you could
almost ignore it (well, not quite!).

I've never seen
A Shropshire Lad, is it one of the pale ones?

Yes, and I thoroughly recommend against growing it. The blooms are
great but there are so few of them. I suppose you could grow it for the
disease-free foliage :-)

As for The Squire--if it resembles Tradecant in
color but holds up a bit longer, I will just have
to have it.

Try it Shiva! I think it's better than Tradescant. It's a truer red
with tighter, more cupped formal blooms. A lovely old rose fragrance
too. Austin himself rubbishes this early variety as a disease magnet,
although he admits that it does OK outside the UK. It behaves well for
me - no more mildew than the other reds I grow.

Austin also admits (in his book) that "No other red rose that I know
produces flowers of such superb old rose quality as The Squire... truly
outstanding beauty". That is saying something because Austin has done
plenty of reds.

One for the connoisseurs.
Old 16-10-2003, 12:12 AM
Shiva

Daniel Hanna wrote:

[about Radio Times]
I'm so glad you got this one, Shiva. My favourite Austin, better than
even Abraham Darby.

Wow, that's saying something! Radio Times is more of a straight pink
without peachy tones, though, isn't it?

Both the blooms and the fragrance are stunning.
Mildew is the only drawback but the bush is so strong that you could
almost ignore it (well, not quite!).

I've only had one plant that mildewed a lot and that
was the otherwise fabulous Europeana. Since I have not
sprayed since May 10, it will be interesting to see what
mildews this fall, if anything. [Europeana got eaten by
voles, damn it.] I'll start my spray program again in the
spring, I just got discouraged and decided it was every]
rose for itself this summer. I needed a break.

I've never seen
A Shropshire Lad, is it one of the pale ones?

Yes, and I thoroughly recommend against growing it. The blooms are
great but there are so few of them. I suppose you could grow it for the
disease-free foliage :-)

Good to know, thanks ...

As for The Squire--if it resembles Tradecant in
color but holds up a bit longer, I will just have
to have it.

Try it Shiva! I think it's better than Tradescant. It's a truer red
with tighter, more cupped formal blooms. A lovely old rose fragrance
too. Austin himself rubbishes this early variety as a disease magnet,
although he admits that it does OK outside the UK. It behaves well for
me - no more mildew than the other reds I grow.

Austin also admits (in his book) that "No other red rose that I know
produces flowers of such superb old rose quality as The Squire... truly
outstanding beauty". That is saying something because Austin has done
plenty of reds.

One for the connoisseurs.

Whoa, wonderful. I can get it potted in the spring.
I find Austin's comments pretty amusing. I have never
seen the catalogs he has put out for the US market, just
the ones for the UK. I am curious to know how they differ.