Old 21-10-2003, 12:12 AM
Shiva

Default Sloooow Motion Roses & Neat Surprise!

Spent the weekend in the garden cleaning up. All the roses
are slowing down, the nights are in the 40s (F) now. There
has been a bud on Don Juan for four days that has not appeared
to change at all. Cut my last vase of Rio Samba, Tradescant,
Pat Austin, and Jude the Obscure Friday.

The surprise came when I was cleaning up, feeling sort of
blah because of the slowing down. Looked up in to the very
tall holly and 15 feet up is a single Sombreuil (or Colonial
White, whatever the truth may be!) looking down! I had no
idea it had climbed that high!!

Old 21-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Daniel Hanna

In aHlwYXRpYQ==.d25a15cc617ca7e58ef4038e312e4870@106 6690954.cotse.net
Shiva wrote:
Cut my last vase of Rio Samba, Tradescant,
Pat Austin, and Jude the Obscure Friday.

That sounds so forlorn, Shiva! This is the cross-over time when
southern hemisphere gardeners watch their roses flood into bloom, while
the north Americans bury theirs in fear of frost.

In six months the tables are turned of course. Except for frost. I
would hate having to deal with frost in winter, but I guess it's just a
testament to how much you guys love roses. It must make you love the
good times better!

Good luck...
Old 21-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Shiva

Shiva wrote:
Cut my last vase of Rio Samba, Tradescant,
Pat Austin, and Jude the Obscure Friday.

That sounds so forlorn, Shiva!

It is! *sniff* :-(

This is the cross-over time when
southern hemisphere gardeners watch their roses flood into bloom, while
the north Americans bury theirs in fear of frost.

POST PHOTOS!!!

In six months the tables are turned of course. Except for frost. I
would hate having to deal with frost in winter, but I guess it's just a
testament to how much you guys love roses. It must make you love the
good times better!

Actually, no. I hate heat. We have a long stretch of oppressively hot
weather (90+F and think inland, stifling, humid, nothing-is-stirring
heat) so I yearn for autumn and love winter and spring too. Summer heat
lasts from May through September, and that is enough for me. The roses
actually go semi-dormant in the 90s and up, so we wait for spring and fall.

Old 21-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Daniel Hanna

In aHlwYXRpYQ==.4c0644583db2dd4200a3576fd9242252@106 6751018.cotse.net
Shiva wrote:
POST PHOTOS!!!

I have! Look at my site again... just updated it.
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/djhanna

More to follow.
Old 29-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Shiva

Shiva wrote:
POST PHOTOS!!!

I have! Look at my site again... just updated it.
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/djhanna

More to follow.

Daniel, I went and looked and read your whole site. Very nice. I had
specific questions about certain roses and lost them in a flurry of
papers somewhere in this mess. I can sure tell you love reds! La
Passionata is that right? Is gorgeous. I will have to have the Squire.
I loved the funny yellow blend named after the woman you don't like?
Anyway, I'll have a look again and refresh my mind. Thanks so much for
posting photos for us wintry weather rosers to look at and dream
about.

Old 04-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Daniel Hanna

In m Shiva wrote:
Thanks so much for
posting photos for us wintry weather rosers to look at and dream
about.

Thanks for reading Shiva. I'll keep posting at least monthly. There's
certainly plenty to shoot photos of at the moment - including Guy de
Maupassant which is so weighed down in blooms, it looks like a slapstick
comedy.

Raccoons & motion sensing lights emceemc Ponds (moderated) 7 26-04-2008 12:14 AM
Daniel's Web Site was Sloooow Motion Roses & Neat Surprise! Kirra Roses 1 04-11-2003 01:02 PM
[IBC] Was [IBC] ADMIN: sloooow - added Holiday Care kevin bailey Bonsai 0 15-08-2003 03:22 PM
[IBC] ADMIN: sloooow Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 15-08-2003 02:02 PM
Surprise, surprise Zemedelec Gardening 1 30-03-2003 01:20 PM