Old 30-10-2003, 01:02 AM
Kirra

Default Daniel's Web Site was Sloooow Motion Roses & Neat Surprise!

I have! Look at my site again... just updated it.
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/djhanna

More to follow.

Daniel, I went and looked and read your whole site. Very nice. I had
specific questions about certain roses and lost them in a flurry of
papers somewhere in this mess. I can sure tell you love reds! La
Passionata is that right? Is gorgeous. I will have to have the Squire.
I loved the funny yellow blend named after the woman you don't like?

I bought this rose after reading Daniel's review of it. It has bloomed for
the first time this week. The first bloom was less than impressive and I
started thinking "hmm, maybe this isn't as nice as it sounded". But like all
roses, you should not judge them by the first bloom. The second bloom opened
yesterday and it is very nice.

Anyway, I'll have a look again and refresh my mind. Thanks so much for
posting photos for us wintry weather rosers to look at and dream
about.

I'd like to thank Daniel for the time and effort he obviously puts in to
doing his web site. I like the section on the trials for 2003 and I look
forward to the upcoming reviews on St Swithun and Madame Alfred Carriere as
they are new in my garden this year. Whoops, just realised you have already
done Madame Alfred Carriere and now I just have to wait for St Swithun.

Thanks Daniel,

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
z10

Old 04-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Daniel Hanna

In Kirra wrote:
Whoops, just realised you have already
done Madame Alfred Carriere and now I just have to wait for St Swithun.

Kirra, I am just back from Ireland and will probably do St Swithun this
weekend. I was fascinated by it because Austin used a direct back-cross
to a rugosa (Conrad Ferdinand Meyer) as one of the parents. As a result
St Swithun seems pretty much disease proof (although it's early days!).

The blooms are very heavy and large too. Add that to an almost
sprawling growth habit and St Siwthun seems to be an aspiring ground
cover!

Good luck with La Passionata by the way. I really love this rose, and
I've grown plenty of reds before it. Having read some more about it, I
think it may be sold as Betsy Ross in the US.