Old 03-11-2003, 09:02 PM
slackjeep

Default Help me identify these roses

I planted these before I started keeping track. I'd love some help in
identifying them.

http://www.pbase.com/image/22867783
http://www.pbase.com/image/22868312
http://www.pbase.com/image/22867788
and last but not least
http://www.pbase.com/image/22867787

Thanks
Dorys
Old 04-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Gail Futoran

"slackjeep" wrote in message
om...
I planted these before I started keeping track. I'd love

some help in
identifying them.

http://www.pbase.com/image/22867783
http://www.pbase.com/image/22868312
http://www.pbase.com/image/22867788
and last but not least
http://www.pbase.com/image/22867787

Thanks
Dorys

Identifying a rose from the photo of a single bloom is a
tricky business. I can think of only a few roses I could
identify that way, and I personally grow about 100 different
varieties, and I'm familiar with many other varieties I
don't grow.

What kinds of roses are these? Miniatures, floribundas,
hybrid teas, some other variety? Even a guess would be
helpful. Growth habit (tall & narrow or short and sprawled,
etc.)? Bloom size? (Even among, say, Hybrid Teas bloom size
can vary quite a bit). Do you get one bloom on a stem or a
cluster of blooms?

A good site for identifying roses is
http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/rosetest.html
You can search on bloom color, bloom form, type of rose
(mini, floribunda, etc.) and other features that you can
observe in your own garden but that we can't know from a
single photo.

Note the great number of roses in existence; the number of
colors & color combinations is limited. Hence, many
different rose varieties can look much the same - judging
from a single photo of a bloom.

And before anyone yells I wasn't being helpful, I did go out
to my garden and try to match the photos to my roses, and I
checked my rose books when I felt I could narrow down the
search reasonably - all without success.

Gail
San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 04-11-2003, 08:12 PM
Daniel Hanna

In Gail
Futoran wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/image/22867783

Looks like Blue Moon. It should be very fragrant but then many blues
are.

http://www.pbase.com/image/22868312

Quite possibly Iceberg or Crystalline but I'd need to see a bud shot as
well.

http://www.pbase.com/image/22867788

This could be nearly any yellow, but if it flowers in clusters it could
well be Friesia (Sunsprite). An open flower shot would help.

http://www.pbase.com/image/22867787

I'd take a stab at Granada or Touch of Class.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:12 AM
slackjeep

I apologize. I should have posted more information about each bush.

I believe all of them are hybrid teas or floribundas. None are
miniatures or climbers. They are bloom individually except for the
white flower which clusters a bit more.

The lavender rose is very fragrant. I love that rose. Photographs
well too. :-)

The yellow is not fragrant, neither is the peachy orange one. The
blooms on all these roses are about 3-5 inches in diameter.

I fear I may just have to live with generic names for them. Out of
the 30+ bushes I have these are the only nameless beauties. I've
learned to keep all the tags since my memory has only 1/2mb of ram
storage!

Thank you all for your help ... and to Heis who posted in my gallery.

Old 06-11-2003, 01:02 AM
Gail Futoran

"slackjeep" wrote in message
om...
I apologize. I should have posted more information about

each bush.

No need to apologize. I was just trying to help. I was a
rose newbie myself not very long ago.

I believe all of them are hybrid teas or floribundas.

None are
miniatures or climbers. They are bloom individually

except for the
white flower which clusters a bit more.

I'd agree with Iceberg as a possibility.

The lavender rose is very fragrant. I love that rose.

Photographs
well too. :-)

Lavenders do tend to be fragrant. I would guess yours is
something along the lines of Purple Passion or Blueberry
Hill.

Colors can be tricky, even when well photographed, as yours
are. I have 5 copies of "Flaming Peace" (which is oddly
colored, I admit) from 2 or 3 different breeders, and I
swear no two of those bushes look like they're the same
variety. Same soil, same feeding program, same water, same
sun, several in the same bed, but different colors.
::shrug::

The yellow is not fragrant, neither is the peachy orange

one. The
blooms on all these roses are about 3-5 inches in

diameter.
I fear I may just have to live with generic names for

them. Out of
the 30+ bushes I have these are the only nameless

beauties. I've
learned to keep all the tags since my memory has only

1/2mb of ram
storage!

I wish I had kept track of the names of minis I planted
years ago, before I got the rose "bug" badly enough to label
everything twice and keep typed notes! Memory, what memory?

If you purchased your roses locally, chances are good
nurseries will continue to sell them. You might check again
in the spring after the bushes bloom for the first time.
Take blooms & some leaves around to nurseries and see if you
can identify them. I've had some luck with that when tags
were missing from roses planted by former house owners.

Good luck!

Gail
San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 07-11-2003, 10:22 PM
slackjeep

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message ...

If you purchased your roses locally, chances are good
nurseries will continue to sell them. You might check again
in the spring after the bushes bloom for the first time.
Take blooms & some leaves around to nurseries and see if you
can identify them. I've had some luck with that when tags
were missing from roses planted by former house owners.

Good luck!

Gail
San Antonio TX Zone 8

Great idea Gail. I may do that some day. Depends on how desperate I
get in wanting to know a name. I may just get over it! haha
however, if I don't, I can't remeber where I even bought them...
mostly likely Home Depot. I doubt they'd be much help.

Thanks again.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:42 PM
Anne Lurie

"Gail Futoran"

[I hope I got the snipping correct ]

The lavender rose is very fragrant. I love that rose.

Photographs
well too. :-)

Lavenders do tend to be fragrant. I would guess yours is
something along the lines of Purple Passion or Blueberry
Hill.

I don't think the lavender rose (beautifully photographed indeed) could be
Purple Passion -- I've got that one, and there is no subtlety to it, it's
just screamingly purple from start to finish (mine seems to have a bit of
striping on it, but that may be because it gets too much shade).

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 06-12-2003, 07:37 PM
Sue Solomon

Just a note --The HDs here in SoCal mostly carry older roses at those cheap
prices. Could the lavender perhaps be Lagerfield (large single blms) or
Sterling Silver (smaller blm, tends to blm in groups of 2-3)?

How big is the orange one's blossom? Does the color bleach out to buff? Does
it last well, and get really big and kinda floppy, and the plant grow really
tall and rangy? If the roses came from Home Depot, my guess for the orangey
one is 'Medallion", and my guess for the yellow rose is "Kings Ransom". KR
is everywhere (it's also a great old rose, healthy and attractive plant,
blooms abundantly and beautifully). I bought a yellow bareroot rose last
year from HD, and it was mislabeled... it turned out to be Medallion.
Sometimes you can't even tell by checking the labels!

Just my guesses. "A rose by any other name...", you know! :-) Hope they
keep on blooming beautifully for you. Love your album!
Sue Solomon

"slackjeep" wrote in message
om...
"Gail Futoran" wrote in message

If you purchased your roses locally, chances are good
nurseries will continue to sell them. You might check again
in the spring after the bushes bloom for the first time.
Take blooms & some leaves around to nurseries and see if you
can identify them. I've had some luck with that when tags
were missing from roses planted by former house owners.

Good luck!

Gail
San Antonio TX Zone 8

Great idea Gail. I may do that some day. Depends on how desperate I
get in wanting to know a name. I may just get over it! haha
however, if I don't, I can't remeber where I even bought them...
mostly likely Home Depot. I doubt they'd be much help.

Thanks again.

Help Me Identify these 4 Roses Please. PatrickBaboon Roses 0 01-05-2005 06:34 AM
Help me identify these eggs Dave Ponds 18 25-03-2004 02:17 PM
Help me identify these eggs Dave Ponds 0 20-03-2004 02:29 AM
Can you help identify these berries? Tim Tyler United Kingdom 5 17-07-2003 10:32 PM
Can you help identify these berries? Tim Tyler United Kingdom 2 13-07-2003 06:21 PM