Old 05-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Okay. Fine. Whatever.

Default Good climbing roses in Los Angeles

Hello.

I'm new to this newsgroup, and to gardening. I live in Los Angeles,
and I'd like to plant an old-fashioned climbing rose to replace a
gnarly old bougainvillea climbing up the west wall of my house and
onto a horizontal arbor over a walkway.

I live in Brentwood, about three miles from the beach where it rarely
gets too hot and a "cold" night is somewhere in the '40s. After
looking through some old posts on this newsgroup, it sounds like Mme
Alfred Carriere grows well in this climate, and it's pretty much what
I was looking for, although I'm also tempted by the Eden (Meiviolin)
and the climbing version of Souvenir de la Malmaison, which sound
lovely but less reliable. If anyone has any experience with the
latter two in the L.A. area, I would appreciate any advice.

Also -- how many individual plants should I order to plant together if
I want a nice, big, but not too overwhelming climber?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:02 PM
saki

(Okay. Fine. Whatever.) wrote in
om:

I live in Brentwood, about three miles from the beach where it rarely
gets too hot and a "cold" night is somewhere in the '40s. After
looking through some old posts on this newsgroup, it sounds like Mme
Alfred Carriere grows well in this climate, and it's pretty much what
I was looking for, although I'm also tempted by the Eden (Meiviolin)
and the climbing version of Souvenir de la Malmaison, which sound
lovely but less reliable. If anyone has any experience with the
latter two in the L.A. area, I would appreciate any advice.

Mme. Alfred Carriere has a powdery mildew susceptibility, so you might
want to think about that; Brentwood can get lots of overcast days (I work
at UCLA so I'm right near you). But it seems a nice choice for your
situation if your west wall is warm enough.

I grow climbing Souvenir de la Malmaison further inland, in the mid-
Wilshire area. It's been great for me with lots of extra flushes this
year, and considering its sheltered locale in sometimes full shade (north
side of a patio) its performance amazes me. I have little mildew problems
with it, and its fragrance travels throughout the (admittedly small) back
garden.

I don't grow Eden; a neighbor does, however. I don't notice much of a
fragrance from it but it's reliable, though not as tall a grower as the
other two roses.

Also -- how many individual plants should I order to plant together if
I want a nice, big, but not too overwhelming climber?

This will depend on the size of the area where the rose is to grow; can
you measure the wall length and let us know? I have two Zepherine
Drouhins growing up a south-facing wall and after three years those two
plants are more than enough...but it took three years for me to realize
it (they're now throwing out canes like there's no tomorrow). In my
experience climbing Souv. de la Malmaison tends to be a bit delicate with
its canes. My neighbor's Eden is manageable. From the looks of Mme.
Alfred Carriere it can get reasonably vigorous.

I know of a good nursery in Pacific Palisades where an experienced
rosarian can help you further. Email me for details, if you like.

----

Old 07-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Okay. Fine. Whatever.

saki wrote in message . ..
(Okay. Fine. Whatever.) wrote in
om:

[...]

Thank you for your post! Actually, Zepherine Drouhin was another rose
I was considering, and it's good to know that it grows well.

I think I might have already met your Pacific Palisades rosarian ...
in any case, I had a long talk with *a* rosarian at the Pacific
Palisades nursery that I visited yesterday. I had a lot of general
questions about taking care of the roses I already have, and he was
very helpful and very thorough, although I have to say that I'm still
completely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of knowledge and work
required in growing roses.

Since you were nice enough to answer my last question, may I ask you a
few more? I appear to have a serious case of black spot, and I'm
leery of using fungicides; I'm cancer-phobic and don't even like to
stand too close to the microwave oven. I bought some Rose Defense and
had hoped to use that, after stripping my rose bushes of leaves that
appear infected. Do you know if Rose Defense works? Is my concern
over the use of fungicides silly? Is there such thing as a "mild"
fungicide?

Thanks again ...
Old 07-11-2003, 08:32 PM
saki

(Okay. Fine. Whatever.) wrote in
om:

Thank you for your post! Actually, Zepherine Drouhin was another rose
I was considering, and it's good to know that it grows well.

Very well indeed for me. It's in its third year and has been throwing
canes all year. I have it wrapping up around a front window at the
moment. Even now in November it has nice red new growth emerging.

Two other climbers that I grow and like (though the colors may not be
exactly in the color range you seem to want): Gloire de Dijon, which has
apricot-pink quartered blooms, and Gloire de Rosomanes (a.k.a. Ragged
Robin), a deep pink to crimson semidouble with a vigorous habit and
excellent repeatability. Both are fragrant too.

I think I might have already met your Pacific Palisades rosarian ...
in any case, I had a long talk with *a* rosarian at the Pacific
Palisades nursery that I visited yesterday. I had a lot of general
questions about taking care of the roses I already have, and he was
very helpful and very thorough, although I have to say that I'm still
completely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of knowledge and work
required in growing roses.

Ah, sounds like Kim! I've been growing roses (antique and modern) for
thirty years and the first time I met Kim I felt like I was just about to
begin learning again. He helped me realize, in the most accommodating
way, that there was a lot more I could be doing with roses. At that time
I was in search of a new Jacques Cartier for my garden and had eight
roses in my garden...now I have ninety-eight. I'd have more if I weren't
living in an apartment and had to consider how much lawn my landlord will
let me dig up.

Since you were nice enough to answer my last question, may I ask you a
few more? I appear to have a serious case of black spot, and I'm
leery of using fungicides; I'm cancer-phobic and don't even like to
stand too close to the microwave oven. I bought some Rose Defense and
had hoped to use that, after stripping my rose bushes of leaves that
appear infected. Do you know if Rose Defense works? Is my concern
over the use of fungicides silly? Is there such thing as a "mild"
fungicide?

IMHO concern over fungicides are valid. I don't know whether Rose Defense
works; I don't use chemicals. There are indeed organic methods of
battling blackspot and mildew and I've tried several.

If you do a web search on "organic blackspot control" you'll come up with
a plethora of recipes. I've used milk and water sprays with success
(ratios vary, some suggest 50:50, I've used 1 part whole milk with six
parts water); this also works for powdery mildew, which is more my
occasional problem. Some folks use summer-weight horticultural oil
mixtures; some use baking soda sprays (1 tsp to 1 gallon of water). Of
course cleanup under the roses is a must as well, as is persistence with
whatever method you choose.

I'm further inland than you are so fungus is minimal for me. This past
summer though I learned that my garden is on the tourist route for rose
slugs. I would prefer not to have that happen again, if at all possible;
crushing small green worms under leaves is not a favorite pastime....

----

AAA Good Professional Los Angeles Movers movers Lawns 0 05-12-2007 08:07 AM
Good climbing roses in Los Angeles (actually on black spot fungicide) Mark. Gooley Roses 0 10-11-2003 12:02 AM
Los Angeles Gardeners veej Gardening 0 10-10-2003 09:42 PM
anyone know where to purchase java moss in Los Angeles area? TIA Richie Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 07:09 AM
Tomatoes Zone 9 So. Cal, Los Angeles HPBudlong Edible Gardening 3 15-02-2003 04:03 PM