Old 07-11-2003, 11:02 AM
Daniel Hanna

Default Full Sail

In aHlwYXRpYQ==.98422e0c38da91d07adc6bac7bfe1097@106 8144191.cotse.net
Shiva wrote:
Cooler weather people looking for the perfect
fragrant white ht: I think this is it.

Shiva, that's interesting. Full Sail is actually a white sport of
Aotearoa (the Maori language name for New Zealand, basically meaning
Land of the Long White Cloud).

I think the rose is simply sold as 'New Zealand' in America. Rumour has
it that the breeder, McGredy, never wanted to hear the name Aotearoa
bucthered with an American accent... just teasing of course.

Anyway, Aotearoa/NZ is a huge fragrant peach-pink rose that is quite
popular here in Australia. It was released in 1992. If you like Full
Sail and have room for another pink HT, I can recommend it.

My own white experiment this year is Karen Blixen, which looks promising
but the first blooms weren't as fragrant as I hoped for. White
Lightnin' still takes the cake on that score.

You've grown both White Lightnin' and Full Sail - which is the more
fragrant to you?
Old 08-11-2003, 04:32 PM
Shiva

Shiva wrote:
Cooler weather people looking for the perfect
fragrant white ht: I think this is it.

Shiva, that's interesting. Full Sail is actually a white sport of
Aotearoa (the Maori language name for New Zealand, basically meaning
Land of the Long White Cloud).

Great piece of trivia, thanks, Daniel. When Full Sail was introduced
it was marketed as a sport of NZ, because NZ is so well loved.

I think the rose is simply sold as 'New Zealand' in America. Rumour has
it that the breeder, McGredy, never wanted to hear the name Aotearoa
bucthered with an American accent... just teasing of course.

G What do you mean "an?" Ever heard a New Jersey native try to say
New Orleans? The proper way is something like "N'awlins." Northerners
and other non-southerners (!) wind up with something like "Noo OOrLEENZ"
or "Noo OR lee enze."

Anyway, Aotearoa/NZ is a huge fragrant peach-pink rose that is quite
popular here in Australia. It was released in 1992. If you like Full
Sail and have room for another pink HT, I can recommend it.

Thanks, I have thought about it, for the thick substance alone, but
I am not a big fan of pink.

My own white experiment this year is Karen Blixen, which looks promising
but the first blooms weren't as fragrant as I hoped for.

I had looked at Karen when I was ordering last year, and it was my
understanding that it has no scent at all. I may have misread. I ordered
Tineke which really has no scent at all. Nice rose, though. Very snowy white.
But for me, just as for you, a scentless rose leaves me a bit cold.

White
Lightnin' still takes the cake on that score.

You've grown both White Lightnin' and Full Sail - which is the more
fragrant to you?

Full Sail, but they are both strongly fragrant. WL has a more citrusy
scent, FS more rosy. And, there is really no comparing them since FS
(when it is being good) produced huge blooms one to a stem. The way that
WL wins over FS is in bloomiferousness. Mine stays in bloom, even though it
is now more than half dead from canker. WL is the best all over white I have
grown.