Old 07-11-2003, 01:42 PM
Jean-Pierre

Default Help - Roses dying

Hi,

Hoping someone could help me....

I have just uprooted some standed roses and moved them to a new location in
my garden. A couple of weeks has now passed and it looks like the roses have
suffered a shock and the leaves have completely dried up. I am not sure if
the roses are completely dead.

I uprooted them at the beginning of spring, at the time the soil was very
wet as it had rain consistently the previous weeks.

Has anyone experienced this before? Does anyone have any ideas if I can
rescue the roses before it's too late. :-(

Regards
Jean-Pierre

Old 08-11-2003, 12:12 AM
Daniel Hanna

In Jean-Pierre
wrote:
Has anyone experienced this before? Does anyone have any ideas if I
can rescue the roses before it's too late. :-(

OK, don't give up hope yet. Transplant shock does get pretty ugly but
it doesn't mean your roses are dead - yet.

Make sure the plants are bedded down firmly and mulched heavily in their
new position. This will minimise moisture loss and eliminate air
pockets for the roots.

Keep the mulch moist, not soaking, by weekly watering in a plant starter
product (eg indole acetic acid) or seaweed emulsion. Both of these
stimulate the root system and will help the plant recover, if it can.
You can also spray seaweed emulsion on the stems and branches of the
plant, but the real benefit is to the roots.

Don't add strong chemical fertilisers or chicken manure. Cow manure
would be OK as part of the mulch. I doubt that Miracle Gro and its ilk
will help, but it may not hurt either.

Good luck.

Help: Fish STILL dying (was "fish are dying" JGW Ponds 16 15-06-2004 01:06 AM
are my roses dying? jjc Roses 1 11-06-2004 05:03 AM
are my roses dying? jjc Roses 0 10-06-2004 06:03 PM
Help!! My roses may be dying. Kevin Eberwein Roses 5 30-04-2003 06:56 PM
Is my lewisia dying back or actually dying! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 2 23-10-2002 06:36 PM