Old 17-11-2003, 04:32 PM
dave weil

Default third post from Ann

I'm really hoping that I won't have to (but maybe I'm being a
Pollyanna about it). This was the very first rose I planted on my
property (believe it or not, this is only its 3rd winter).

Important roses are being lost to this disease.

Sure. How are the symptoms different?

Spring RRD in Atlanta on Cl. Old Blush yielded very thin, scrawny
spiraling stems from every leaf axil that died rapidly, almost
hypersensitive reactions to "viruses". Yours look like the chinas'
symptoms spring two years ago in Staunton, VA.

BTW, I only noticed this about 2 weeks ago, but I don't know how long
it's been growing like this. I had an earlier instance of a stem
growing through a bloom (can't remember the technical name for this) and
I asked about it on the rose newsgroup and I was assured that it wasn't
totally uncommon. Perhaps this was a precursor though. Maybe this should
be linked as a possible early indicator.

Fall in TN is when we see a lot of the buds developing at the centers
of blooms (I had four coming out of the center of a Devoniensis)...it
isn't a precusor to RRD, although there are some really bizarre
happenings in bud development when the bud forms on a stem with full
RRD: in St Louis we saw what looked like small brussel sprouts on the
end of stems of a HT: three layers of asymetric sepals, NO petals, no
stigma, no anthers, no receptacle.

The last question is, now that we've had a hard frost, do I need to
worry about a miticide to the rest of my plants at this point, or is it
really too late to do any good (i.e., are the mites already killed off
for the season?)? I'll be applying a dormant spray sometime in late
December in any case.

Dr. Abdullah Kassar in West Virginia, studying RRD and the mites in
southern Indiana found that the mites live through winter, less
active, but they can still be found in that colder zone in winter.
Where we have lost roses to RRD this fall, we've sprayed the area with
Cygon 2E to kill any mites that may have migrated within the borders
from sick roses. So far (four years) we seem to be catching the
infection early and haven't had rose-to-rose transmission within our
garden. I did go over to RGR and (I still lurk there occassionally)
and want to comment on the belief (based on info published by Iowa
State) that there are relatively short paths of infection. From what
we've seen in the south east, the mites can be transported by winds
thirty and forty miles or more. Similar sized mites have been
recovered from aerial samples of thunderstorm clouds. Even if only one
mite per acre is dropped from distant infections, large rose gardens
are at risk. There is NO RRD within a half mile of my garden, about
20% of the multiflora three miles up wind of my gardens has RRD (none
of it was sick three years ago). This year 2% of my roses have come
down with RRD, so far and the season isn't over.
So, we learn as it happens. My choice is to rogue out as soon as I see
it, except with irreplaceble roses. Them? I'm learning to propagate
with mist and I WILL learn to graft next spring.

Thanks for all of the help and I'm sharing your post with the rose
newsgroup, if you don't mind.

Please do share and let your neighbors know as well. Some folks in
Nashville have reported it, but a lot more saw it this fall. Do look
up into trees for multiflora that has climbed and is harder to see;
also along highways, railroad rights-of-way and power transmission
lines. Multiflora really likes to live along creek beds and at the
edge of woods. Good luck and let me know how it works out.

Ann

Old 17-11-2003, 06:02 PM
Theo

garden. I did go over to RGR and (I still lurk there occassionally)
and want to comment on the belief (based on info published by Iowa
State) that there are relatively short paths of infection. From what
we've seen in the south east, the mites can be transported by winds
thirty and forty miles or more. Similar sized mites have been
recovered from aerial samples of thunderstorm clouds. Even if only one
mite per acre is dropped from distant infections, large rose gardens
are at risk. There is NO RRD within a half mile of my garden, about
20% of the multiflora three miles up wind of my gardens has RRD (none
of it was sick three years ago). This year 2% of my roses have come
down with RRD, so far and the season isn't over.

I stand corrected.

If the disease is this capable of spreading
like this we have no hope.

Hopefully multiflora will become more resistant
and we can then breed those resistant geenes
into other roses.

--
Theo

in KC Z5

Old 17-11-2003, 09:22 PM
dave weil

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:45:53 GMT, "Theo"
wrote:

garden. I did go over to RGR and (I still lurk there occassionally)
and want to comment on the belief (based on info published by Iowa
State) that there are relatively short paths of infection. From what
we've seen in the south east, the mites can be transported by winds
thirty and forty miles or more. Similar sized mites have been
recovered from aerial samples of thunderstorm clouds. Even if only one
mite per acre is dropped from distant infections, large rose gardens
are at risk. There is NO RRD within a half mile of my garden, about
20% of the multiflora three miles up wind of my gardens has RRD (none
of it was sick three years ago). This year 2% of my roses have come
down with RRD, so far and the season isn't over.

I stand corrected.

If the disease is this capable of spreading
like this we have no hope.

I was thinking the same thing.

....well, not about "no hope" but more of a question of how effective
eliminating multiflora in the neighborhood would be.

I live in the middle of town and I don't know how much multifora, if
any, is within a few miles. I guess the ticket is to spray for mites
routinely, since the virus is definitely in the area.

I wonder how often spraying is indicated.

Old 20-11-2003, 04:59 PM
J. Del Col

Cass wrote in message ...
Dave, wasn't it your Cl. Old Blush that had the odd round puffer fish
looking growths earlier this year?

Robin's Pincushions? They aren't a symptom of RRD.

I had an outbreak of RRD two years ago. I adopted a dig and burn
policy. No repeats yet.

J. Del Col

Old 20-11-2003, 05:54 PM
dave weil

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:01:06 -0800, Cass
wrote:

Dave, wasn't it your Cl. Old Blush that had the odd round puffer fish
looking growths earlier this year?

No, that was my Briar Rose. Turned out it was gall wasps.

Old 26-11-2003, 03:23 AM
Cass

wrote:

Dave, wasn't it your Cl. Old Blush that had the odd round puffer fish
looking growths earlier this year?

No, that was my Briar Rose. Turned out it was gall wasps.

Thanks, Dave. I thought we felt comfortable with the ID, but I couldn't
remember what it was.

What's the word on Cl. Old Blush? Did you whack it?

Alberta Red Tory Government Now Acting Like Third World Banana Republic Cerebrus Ponds 0 22-09-2007 01:05 AM
I ate my third tomato from my garden Françoise Gardening 18 01-09-2004 11:30 AM
Second post from Ann dave weil Roses 0 17-11-2003 04:22 PM
T-8 Bulb FO32850XPECO (third time's the charm) maxx8 Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 29-04-2003 06:44 AM
Hortus Third Iris Cohen Plant Science 2 26-04-2003 01:25 PM