Old 18-11-2003, 02:32 PM
Mark. Gooley

Default Another J&P veteran (was Pure Poetry)

"Daniel Hanna" wrote
Shiva wrote:
This is a wonderful rose, introduced 1997 and discontinued after
1999. I saw it in bloom, and almost bought it. But not quite ...
one of my few rosy regrets.

You mean J&P are discarding roses after only 3 years now?
What vandals. Luckily it hasn't been lost from commercial
cultivation (yet).

See eg http://treloar-roses.com.au/files/pure_poetry.htm

Another J&P veteran (just bought one for $5 at a Home
Despot, on Dr. Huey): Pin~ata (yeah, that tilde should be over
the N, but I forget how to do that). It's a climber, with bright
red-orange blooms with yellow centers, usually the sort of thing
I think ugly, but it's strangely appealing. Despite the name, it's a
Seizo Suzuki rose from Japan, introduced 1978, says helpmefind.

Seems to be disease-prone, and it hasn't much fragrance; mine
has spots on most leaves that look like the start of black spot,
so I sprayed it with peroxide (quart in a gallon, twice as strong
as usual) in the hope of at least killing any spores. I plan to take
cuttings (if I can get some that aren't infested with whatever)
and try it on its own roots, as I haven't had the happiest experience
with Dr. Huey roots in this climate. (I was at another Home Despot
the other day, grousing about that, and another customer from
slightly south of me claimed that he had never had the least trouble
with cheap grafted roses in his 9a, pure-sand soil...beats me. Maybe
he's just a better gardener.)

I wonder whether Pure Poetry (oh, that name cries out for parody!
Pureed Poultry! Impure Poetry) has similar flaws. But a user
comment on helpmefind says it doesn't get black spot or mildew,
whereas Pin~ata's entry says that Pin~ata is indeed prone to mildew.
It's a mystery why it'd get dumped by J&P, but it's a mystery to me
why they gave a Suzuki rose a very un-Japanese name.

Mark., no frost yet in my bit of zone 8b, knock rose cane

Old 18-11-2003, 08:32 PM
Daniel Hanna

In Mark. Gooley wrote:
It's a mystery why it'd get dumped by J&P

Mark, they seem to dump every rose except their top sellers. This has
included plenty of AARS winners over the years. European rose breeders
like Meilland, Delbard, Kordes, and even Austin are far more loyal to
varieties that have lasting merit.

Evidently J&P's motive is to plug these latest, protected varieties that
maximise profit for J&P. I'm just surprised that they'd dump Pure
Poetry after only 3 years because their rights would still be current on
that one.

I am still hunting in vain for Velvet Arrow, a J&P release from the
early 1990s that has wonderful (albeit scentless) fat red blooms.
Old 25-11-2003, 12:03 AM
Shiva

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:29:14 GMT, "Mark. Gooley"
wrote:

Pin~ata's entry says that Pin~ata is indeed prone to mildew.

Ha ha! I laugh at all such claims! Lucky me, EVERYTHING here
gets some sort of fungus. I probably would too if I didn't keep
moving. G
Old 26-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Susan H. Simko

Shiva wrote:

Ha ha! I laugh at all such claims! Lucky me, EVERYTHING here
gets some sort of fungus. I probably would too if I didn't keep
moving. G

That is *such* an understatement!!! And, as you know, when we get
drenched continually as we have this year, spraying is out of the
question so the mildew and fungus just run rampant. It's really weird
looking outside at my roses that are blooming despite being fairly well
denuded by mildew. *sigh* I keep telling myself that I should be
*very* grateful that they're still blooming and growing!

Susan
(debating if she can squeeze in another bush or three this coming year
*grin*)
shsimkoatduke(dot)edu

Old 26-11-2003, 05:32 PM
Shiva

Susan H. Simko wrote:

Shiva wrote:

Ha ha! I laugh at all such claims! Lucky me, EVERYTHING here
gets some sort of fungus. I probably would too if I didn't keep
moving. G

That is *such* an understatement!!! And, as you know, when we get
drenched continually as we have this year, spraying is out of the
question so the mildew and fungus just run rampant. It's really weird
looking outside at my roses that are blooming despite being fairly well
denuded by mildew. *sigh* I keep telling myself that I should be
*very* grateful that they're still blooming and growing!

Susan, you know what? The lady around the corner who uses Witherspoon (they do all her spraying,
pruning, and mulching has roses AND leaves. I think I need to know what Witherspoon is using.
Also, I had some company from out of town and took them by the Raleigh Little Theater and Rose
Garden, thinking just to show them the ampitheater, and the garden is FULL of blooming rose bushes
with roses AND foliage. Grr! What are they doing that we are not??

Susan
(debating if she can squeeze in another bush or three this coming year
*grin*)
shsimkoatduke(dot)edu

Sure you can! Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 26-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Susan H. Simko

Shiva wrote:

Susan, you know what? The lady around the corner who uses Witherspoon (they do all her spraying,
pruning, and mulching has roses AND leaves. I think I need to know what Witherspoon is using.
Also, I had some company from out of town and took them by the Raleigh Little Theater and Rose
Garden, thinking just to show them the ampitheater, and the garden is FULL of blooming rose bushes
with roses AND foliage. Grr! What are they doing that we are not??

Full time dedication or help to take care of the roses? I know Duke
Gardens is also full of blooming roses with foliage. I wish I could
spend all my time doing that but I need my position in order to pay for
my obsessions. *grin*

BTW, when I bought my Granada from Witherspoons this past spring, I
noticed they had some Saturday classes. One of them, IIRC, was
dedicated to dealing with rose problems.

Sure you can!

I know. *grin* I have another chrysanthemum I can dig up and replace
with a rose bush. In addition, I am still seriously thinking about
SP'ing one of the legacy unknowns in the yard. It's at least three
years old and only about a foot high. Downside to SP'ing, when it
blooms, the blooms are spectacular!

Happy Thanksgiving!

You too and to everyone else here! For the first time in my life, we're
going to a restaurant for Thanksgiving this year. COnsidering what a
hectic year it's been and these past two weeks in particular, I'm
actually really looking forward to it. (I love to cook so Thanksgiving
has always been a great opportunity to play!)

Susan
shsimkoatduke(dot)edu

Interesting Gardening and more site with poetry too Bill[_13_] Gardening 0 30-10-2008 02:41 PM
orchid poetry? J Fortuna Orchids 2 21-02-2004 08:32 PM
[IBC] One year + later [IBC] (OT) Chinese poetry on the web Khaimraj Seepersad Bonsai 1 02-01-2004 03:33 PM
[IBC] (OT) Chinese poetry on the web Craig Cowing Bonsai 0 01-01-2004 02:32 PM
Pure Poetry Sam Bass Roses 4 25-11-2003 12:02 AM