GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   roses in winter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/48891-re-roses-winter.html)

saki 20-12-2003 12:03 AM

roses in winter

Daniel Hanna wrote in
home.com.au:

In Mark. Gooley wrote:
I'm in 8b as well, North Florida. Most of my roses are keeping
most of their leaves. Most of them are also in pots. I'm keeping
them watered; many seem to enjoy this weather (except the freezes
proper)

Hold on a second... it even freezes in FLORIDA? Is there some part of
the US that doesn't freeze in winter outside of Hawaii?

Some parts of coastal California are relatively free from frost. I live in
Los Angeles proper and the coldest I've seen in twenty years is 40 degrees
fahrenheit. However, just 10-15 miles to the north of me in the San
Fernando Valley there can definitely be light frosts, but usually not lower
than 27-32 degrees fahrenheit.

----

James Delahanty 20-12-2003 05:13 PM

roses in winter

" Some parts of coastal California are relatively free from frost. I
live in
Los Angeles proper and the coldest I've seen in twenty years is 40

degrees
fahrenheit. However, just 10-15 miles to the north of me in the San
Fernando Valley there can definitely be light frosts, but usually not

lower
than 27-32 degrees fahrenheit.

In Sherman Oaks, just on the edge of the San Fernando Valley, there has
not been sufficient cold weather in the
last four years to permit Gallicas (La Belle Sultane) to bloom; the last
serious freezing weather took place in our
area in the last two weeks in December in 1990 where the temperatures
were in the low twenties and teens. In fact, I lost
about twenty to thirty plumerias and arabian jasmines at the time.
However, most of the roses loved it.

JD

Shiva 20-12-2003 07:05 PM

roses in winter

saki wrote:

Some parts of coastal California are relatively free from frost. [snip]

Aha! Someone did add a proper subject line!

Good for you, Saki.

Happy Holidays,

Shiva, Hall Monitor