Old 28-12-2003, 05:40 PM
Heidi

Default glamis caste and charlotte...anyone have experience in SE?

I may be delusional, but I'm trying to convince myself that spring is
just around the corner here in the US. It's almost January, and April
isn't that far off the beginning of the new year....

Without much to do in the garden, I have been researching all the plants
I want to buy this spring. I want to get one more rose bush this year.
I like the look of the English roses, but do not know much about them.
I grew three HT's this year, and managed to keep them alive. I have
been pleased with the HT's in terms of: size, number of buds, ability to
use as cut flowers, and strong scent.

I prefer yellow or white flowers, and have been looking into Charlotte
and Glamis Castle (David Austin). Does anyone have experience with
these? Will they grow like my shrub HT's? Do I need to support them?
Will they produce more/less blooms in general than a HT? More/less
disease resistant? Any other types of roses w/ a similar look that I
might consider? Forgive my rose ignorance here, but I think the double,
deep cup blooms look like peonies, and I love the look of peonies!--I'm
hoping to find a yellow or white peony looking rose with a heavy scent
that will be produce many blooms for cuttings and be as disease
resistant as you can hope a rose to be.

April, here I come!
TIA,
Heidi

Old 28-12-2003, 11:32 PM
Gail Futoran

"Heidi" wrote in message
r.com...
[...]

One rose I can personally recommend is "Teasing Georgia", an
English rose that grows (sprawls) to about 5' x 5' and
blooms like mad. Blooms are a buttery yellow, and are the
bloom form you want. The plant is very healthy (in my area,
at least) and grows fast. It's a fairly new rose
(introduced in England in 1998) but should be easy to find,
especially since you're starting early.

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the roses you named.

Gail
San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 30-12-2003, 11:33 PM
Anne Lurie

Heidi,

I can't offer any answers to you, but I'm in Raleigh, NC also! (I saw
Heidi's subsequent post) And there are at least two more of us in rec.roses
(where *is* Shiva, anyway?).

I'm going out on a limb (as it were), but I'm guessing you may be new to NC,
as April is nearly summer here! I thought the best time to plant roses was
in January or February (not kidding); the J&P boxed roses appear in local
garden centers in February, if I'm not mistaken.

I have limited experience with roses, but I've been enamoured of Graham
Thomas ever since seeing pix on a photographers' website that I like. The
rose reminded me of something Martha Stewart might have created for a
wedding bouquet, by stuffing in extra petals!

BTW, Heidi, I'm in the *sandy* part of Raleigh -- if you like, we can do a
clay-for-sand exchange! (Even better if we can get someone else to dig it
up!)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

r.com...

Old 31-12-2003, 12:32 AM
dave weil

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:22:15 GMT, "Anne Lurie"
wrote:

Heidi,

I can't offer any answers to you, but I'm in Raleigh, NC also! (I saw
Heidi's subsequent post) And there are at least two more of us in rec.roses
(where *is* Shiva, anyway?).

I'm going out on a limb (as it were), but I'm guessing you may be new to NC,
as April is nearly summer here! I thought the best time to plant roses was
in January or February (not kidding); the J&P boxed roses appear in local
garden centers in February, if I'm not mistaken.

I have limited experience with roses, but I've been enamoured of Graham
Thomas ever since seeing pix on a photographers' website that I like. The
rose reminded me of something Martha Stewart might have created for a
wedding bouquet, by stuffing in extra petals!

One thing about Graham Thomas that many have commented on - it
shatters very easily. It's not a rose for bouquets at all. Not only is
it not very usuable for arrangements ('cause it has about a day or two
life at best), but it doesn't really last long on the bush either.
Once it gets fully formed, plan on a couple of days at best before it
shatters on the vine (so to speak). Yeah, you might eke out a week if
you're lucky, but I wouldn't plan on it. The blooms literally explode,
and I'm not talking about profusion, either.

Having said that, I love my GT. It has a nice scent, it's pretty
prolific in terms of blooms (and fairly fast growing as well), but it
also takes great pics g. Just don't expect *any* life on the blooms.
It just won't happen, IME.

Old 31-12-2003, 05:02 PM
Theo

I grow Glamis castle.

Its a smaller Austin shrub
and has topped out @ 3' for me.
It does have a tendency to mildew
but recovers quickly.

Non stop bloom machine.

Yellow/Whites are my favorite too.
I grow several dozen. Just to mention
a few easy to grow disease free ones.
Take a look at the following.

Whites

Guinevere
Darlows enigma
Iceberg (some disease)
Mme Alfred Carriere (big)
Alba meidiland (bullet & bulldozer proof literally)

Yellows

Sunsprite
Penelope
JP Conell
Prairie Harvest & Sunrise
Symphony

--
Theo

in KC Z5

r.com...

Old 01-01-2004, 02:42 AM
ed

I'm in Winston Salem and have a Graham Thomas-I love it! It is not, however,
a rose that will last in a vase. I believe that has already been mentioned.
The scent is wonderful, and with a little care, it will explode with yellow
blooms. I have also been successful at rooting this rose, so where I had
one, now I have three.It is prone to black spot if it is not sprayed, but I
guess that is true of most roses. I'm ready to jackhammer my way through the
permafrost and start getting the soil ready....come on spring!!!

ed

Old 03-01-2004, 05:44 PM
Heidi

Anne,

I'm not new to the area, just new to roses. I had read that you can
plant bare root roses in Feb, and potted roses after the last frost. I
was thinking of buying local potted roses so that I can see the roses in
bloom before planting. I have very limited sunny locations to plant so
I want to be choosy about what I try. Plus, I'm just not ready to
prepare a bed yet. I'm going to extend an existing bed and try to
transplant the sod in the area I open up to some bare spots in our back
yard. I think I might be too early to transplant sod--but I welcome any
advice on this!

I'd be happy to exchange some clay for sand. I don't even have to make
an exchange--your welcome to as much clay as you want .

Heidi

Anne Lurie wrote:

[...]

. rr.com...

Old 04-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Anne Lurie

Heidi, I'm relatively new (5 years) to both the South and roses, so I guess
I'm still awestruck by being able to (or forced to, not sure which) do
garden work in January or February!

As for the timing of transplanting sod, etc., have you checked the
triangle.gardens newsgroup?

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

r.com...

Old 07-01-2004, 02:33 AM
Heidi

Anne,

I haven't tried triangle.gardens, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the
suggestion! Hopefully there are still some local people reading the
gardening ng's, despite being slightly off season!

It's odd isn't it, I can't wait to get back into the garden, but I sure
can put off digging a new bed .

Heidi

Anne Lurie wrote:

Heidi, I'm relatively new (5 years) to both the South and roses, so I guess
I'm still awestruck by being able to (or forced to, not sure which) do
garden work in January or February!

As for the timing of transplanting sod, etc., have you checked the
triangle.gardens newsgroup?

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

. rr.com...

Old 07-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Shiva

Heidi wrote:

Anne,

I haven't tried triangle.gardens, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the
suggestion! Hopefully there are still some local people reading the
gardening ng's, despite being slightly off season!

It's not off season! Winter is dreaming season, thinking about extant
beds and planning additions to them; dreaming up new beds; going over those
catalogs both hardcopy and online and planning orders, then ordering.

I am in Raleigh, downtown in Oakwood, and I grow lots of Austins but not
Glamis Castle or Charlotte. Most of my Austins are too young to really
comment on. I do have an older (five years old) Jude the Obscure on its
own roots that does quite well.

Welcome to rgr! We don't have many Raleigh people who post here, so we
may not be able to help much with regional questions, but there are lots
of good rosers around.

It's odd isn't it, I can't wait to get back into the garden, but I sure
can put off digging a new bed .

Not too odd. Digging hurts!

Heidi

Old 12-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Susan H. Simko

Shiva wrote:

It's not off season! Winter is dreaming season, thinking about extant
beds and planning additions to them; dreaming up new beds; going over those
catalogs both hardcopy and online and planning orders, then ordering.

All those catalogs pouring in, all those things I want and not enough
land to plant them all. *sigh* How can these people be so cruel? *grin*

I am in Raleigh, downtown in Oakwood, and I grow lots of Austins but not
Glamis Castle or Charlotte. Most of my Austins are too young to really
comment on. I do have an older (five years old) Jude the Obscure on its
own roots that does quite well.

I'm the last of the triangle crew I think that hasn't chimed in. I'm in
Durham, northeast Durham off of Wake Forest Hwy (98) to be more precise.
I'm currently growing mainly hybrid teas but am trying to decide waht
I am going to dig up this year to put in an austin or three. The one
rose I have that fits the SP rule - put out or get out - has the most
glorious blooms when it does bloom. OTOH, at 3+ years old and still not
much more than a foot high, I think it's time to go.

Welcome to rgr! We don't have many Raleigh people who post here, so we
may not be able to help much with regional questions, but there are lots
of good rosers around.

In addition, I also follow triangle.gardens and rec.ponds as I have a
lot of other things in my yard aside for roses. Tomatoes, herbs,
flowers to attract hummingbirds, birds and bees along with an ornamental
pond.

Susan
shsimkoatduke[dot]edu

Old 13-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Amy Amy is offline
Registered User

Location: Missouri, zone 5, USA

I live in zone 5, Missouri and my experience with Glamis castle is that it is a vigorous, good repeating bloomer. It's disease resistance is not as good as some other Austin's, but overall I was impressed with it. I also have James Galway, Geoff Hamilton, Kathryn Morley, L.D. Braithwaite and Abraham Darby. I have many more on my list still to get this year. My dream is to have a beautiful cottage garden with mostly Austin roses and some Antique roses and perennials in there, too. I expect that in the next seven years or so that I will end up with all of Austin's roses.
Old 15-01-2004, 02:05 AM
Sue Solomon

Hi Heidi!
Location, location, location!! That's the secret for Austins. I live in the
SW, SoCal, zone 10; mild winters, cool, foggy summers, so that may make this
useless to you. Nevertheless ...

I planted several Austin roses last year, among them Glamis Castle,
Heritage, Bro. Cadfael and St. Swithun and Kathryn Morley -- the last 3 used
as climbers. Glamis Castle and Heritage were absolute disasters; sickly,
puny, poor growing mildew magnets. Glamis' white blooms were less than 2"
across and a muddled creamy vanilla -- and very very sparse on a spindly
plant. Heritage finally gave up the ghost after 6 months in the ground; only
put out one dishwater white misshaped bloom.

However ... Bro. Cadfael and St. Swithun, planted the same day, located in
the same heavy clay, 10 ft. from the others, are HUGE! They both began
throwing long canes within the first year, and now are a tangled mess over
6' high and 4' wide! And both continued to bloom in several flushes
throughout the year! Kathryn Morley is another good one, just not as
enthusiastic as the others. All three are amazingly free of mildew and other
troubles ... the opposite of Glamis Castle and Heritage. So ... go figure.
The blooms do shatter quickly, but they're so beautiful, it's worth it - to
me!

Happy gardening!
Sue Solomon

s.com...