GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   cut roses (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/49505-cut-roses.html)

[email protected] 01-01-2004 05:02 PM

cut roses

not knowning hardly anything about roses except they are beautiful= I
bought some light peach/pink cut roses-they are now sprouting new leaves
off of the stems where original leaves are. I have not seen this
before. What is happening? Can I do anything with these? Thank you

Shiva 02-01-2004 05:32 AM

cut roses

wrote:

not knowning hardly anything about roses except they are beautiful= I
bought some light peach/pink cut roses-they are now sprouting new leaves
off of the stems where original leaves are. I have not seen this
before. What is happening? Can I do anything with these? Thank you

I think this is just a chemical reaction taking place in the soon-to-be
-dead cut blooms. It is common enough that we get several posts on this
topic each year. I suppose you could try getting some rooting hormone at
Lowe's or a garden center and dipping the end in it, then putting it in a
moist baggy to see if any roots form. Generally, though, I think it is
a better idea for you to look at some rose photos at rose sites and find one that
you like and just buy a plant in the spring.

Tim Tompkins 02-01-2004 03:12 PM

cut roses

The cut stem is drawing enough moisture at the cut to continue some growth
and to metabolize the food/sugar in the cane which produces some new foliar
growth.

The whosale grower has a good cutting and storage process!

Tim