Old 09-01-2004, 04:42 AM
Mark. Gooley

Default Stop me before I buy more

I bought 20 bare-root bagged-with-wood-waste and dipped-in-wax
cheapo ($2.97 to $5.97) roses at WalleyeMart StuporCenters in
Florida this week. Mostly the roses are old standbys grafted onto
some crap stock like Dr. Huey, but some are own-root (amazing!)
and some are obscure somewhat-recent mediocre varieties pretty
much offered only by Certified Roses, which is one of WalleyeMart's
suppliers at least for this area (all of them seem to be in Tyler, Texas):
namely Macho Man (mauve/mauve blend, fragrant hybrid tea, 1999) and
Better Homes and Gardens Diamond Jubilee (red blend with red-edge
blooms, HT 1997). Sally Holmes is one of the own-roots offered and
Therese Bugnet another, and others (grafted, sadly) include Kordes
Perfecta, Electron, Robusta, Sterling Silver, and Angel Face -- not all
junk, although perhaps these particular bushes are. I've potted them all
up, as potting up hacked-up bare-root roses seems to help them survive,
at least in my experience.

Why do I do these things? I think it's just that I'm a skinflint. I don't
even
like HT roses that much, and most of what I bought are HTs, and grafted,
and...

Mark., plenty of room for them, mind you

Old 09-01-2004, 05:32 AM
Shiva

Mark. Gooley wrote:

"Mark. Gooley" wrote in message ...
I bought 20 bare-root bagged-with-wood-waste and dipped-in-wax
cheapo ($2.97 to $5.97) roses at WalleyeMart StuporCenters in
Florida this week. [snip!]

Mark., plenty of room for them, mind you

Good! You'll need plenty of time to figure out what varieties you actually have as opposed to what
the bags 'n tags say you have, too. I bought these roses for several seasons, it's great sport!

Shiva, who still buys 'Mart roses but waits until
they are potted and blooming. Call it a trust issue.

Old 09-01-2004, 02:05 PM
ed

been there, done that....snowing today, off work, might do it again...what
better thing to do on a snowy day than treasure hunt at wally world....I
look more for healthy appearing plants, then I look to see "what kind" it
is....such fun
ed
"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.245e48d0da08386cf7d952406c8bcd34 @1073625831.cotse.net...

Old 09-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Shiva

ed wrote:

been there, done that....snowing today, off work, might do it again...what
better thing to do on a snowy day than treasure hunt at wally world....I
look more for healthy appearing plants, then I look to see "what kind" it
is....such fun
ed

Ha! It's snowing here, too, has been since early morning. It's gorgeous.
I'm in Raleigh, NC, where are you?

Back to 'Mart roses, I do think there is a lot to be said for getting
them right off the truck--i.e. when they first arrive--if you insist on
buying the bagged ones. And that ought to be sometime between now and Feb.
in most places.

I agree it is fun coming home with the "bargains." What is NOT fun to me
is having them die or languish or just creep along sadly while the
quality roses (the ones whose roots have not been hacked to fit in
small bags) leap forward in the spring. Even the potted ones do not do
as well. If they could just find a way to package the cheapies so that
they don't have to cut the roots so short. It does handicap the roses.

Old 10-01-2004, 12:02 AM
ed

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.69a1af43afe3fa39082a9b8f4da22a90 @1073678701.cotse.net...
ed wrote:

[...]

I live in Winston Salem, and we got 3 or 4 inches of snow today. Makes me
sorry I don't have my cottonseed meal already out so the snow could slowly
melt and carry goodies beneath the surface...oh well, probably too early
anyhow. I checked locals in this area-no roses anywhere for two more weeks.
I was in Costco today-they usually are first, not yet.
I'm ready for spring...now, and I'm not waiting anymore.
Good luck rose hunting.
ed
email

remove no spam

Old 10-01-2004, 01:03 AM
Cass Bernstein

In article , Mark. Gooley
wrote:

I bought 20 bare-root bagged-with-wood-waste and dipped-in-wax
cheapo ($2.97 to $5.97) roses at WalleyeMart StuporCenters ...

Why do I do these things? I think it's just that I'm a skinflint. I
don't even like HT roses that much, and most of what I bought are
HTs, and grafted, and...

Because out of the batch you'll probably get a few you like. Hell, I
bought some terrific Home Despot roses last year - Outta the Blue x 2
and Granada, for starters. Yep, I found an OR rose at Long's Drugstore
a couple of years ago. My approach is even more skinflint than yours. I

Are you sure it's wax? Or is it an antidessicant like wilt pruf?
Old 10-01-2004, 04:02 AM
Zinnia

And you think you have it bad for buying Wally's roses. I'm busily potting
up 50 roses, since we are moving; and still packed home yesterday a humble
Home Depot bargain Bewitched. Like, did I really need another rose right
now. The answer is of course since I didn't have one and it was living in
such ugly conditions in the bargain bin.