Old 19-01-2004, 10:41 PM
Heidi

Default used copper sulfate, then it snowed, now my rose leaves are brown

Help!

Two weeks ago, I sprayed three rose bushes (one Buttercream HT, and 2
JFK HT's) with a copper sulfate solution. I had looked up on the bottle
the proper water:chem ratio, so it should have been correct. A week
after I sprayed the roses, it snowed here in NC. The snow only lasted a
few days, and we've had temps about freezing lately.

This week, I noticed that my 2 JFK's look good, but almost all the
leaves on my Buttercream have turned brown. It looks like it is ready
to kick the bucket.

Was it the copper sulfate solution? Was it the snow? Is this normal,
and will my rose bush recover? Should I prune it down to help it out?

Thanks in advance!
Heidi

Raleigh, NC

Old 19-01-2004, 11:21 PM
Shiva

"Heidi" wrote in message news:72YOb.244740
Help!

Two weeks ago, I sprayed three rose bushes (one Buttercream HT, and 2
JFK HT's) with a copper sulfate solution. I had looked up on the bottle
the proper water:chem ratio, so it should have been correct. A week
after I sprayed the roses, it snowed here in NC. The snow only lasted a
few days, and we've had temps about freezing lately.

This week, I noticed that my 2 JFK's look good, but almost all the
leaves on my Buttercream have turned brown. It looks like it is ready
to kick the bucket.

Was it the copper sulfate solution? Was it the snow? Is this normal,
and will my rose bush recover? Should I prune it down to help it out?

Hi Heidi--

You sprayed copper sulfate for what reason? It is a so-called "dormant spray," right? Right! It is
supposed to help kill off any overwintering fungus so you start out with a cleat slate in the
spring, right?

When roses are dormant, they are not supposed to have leaves, or their leaves should already by
brown, right?

You live in this weird place where we have winter, but don't really have winter, so dormancy is
kind of iffy, right?

Right to all, right?

Relax, kid, it is January. Your roses, if they have leaves, are supposed to have brown leaves. If
the copper sulfate didn't do it, the SNOW did.

Let me know if the dormant spray seems to help next spring. I might try it.

Shiva in Raleigh, NC

Old 19-01-2004, 11:22 PM
dave weil

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:34:33 -0500 (EST), "Shiva"
wrote:

[...]

Besides, dormant spray *should* generally defoliate the roses. That's
why you wait until dormancy to use it.

Don't worry about the leaves, worry about the canes (unless you live
in the Florida Keys or Brownsville, TX I suppose).

Gee, I sure wish I had done the dormant thing. I guess I still have
time though, as it's about 28 degrees today...

Old 20-01-2004, 12:07 AM
Anne Lurie

[Sincerely hoping I got the snipping right, just this once!]

"Shiva" (in NC) wrote to Heidi (in NC), who had sprayed copper sulfate on
roses:

Relax, kid, it is January. Your roses, if they have leaves, are supposed

to have brown leaves. If
the copper sulfate didn't do it, the SNOW did.

To which I (also in NC, not far from Shiva or Heida), lamely reply:

My roses seemed to like the snow??? The plants never really did have dried,
brown leaves -- except where my rampaging dogs broke off a cane or two --
but the plants have put out new reddish leaves since we got a few inches of
snow (around Jan. 9th, as I recall). OTOH, I would usually water the plants
during the winter, if it didn't rain.

Perhaps I have my own little eco-climate,

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 21-01-2004, 01:32 AM
Heidi

Whew!

Thanks everyone! I'm glad to know my roses will make it. I will report
back this summer how the roses are doing and speculate on if the spray
helped out.

Heidi

Old 24-01-2004, 10:12 PM
Shiva

"dave weil" wrote

Gee, I sure wish I had done the dormant thing. I guess I still have
time though, as it's about 28 degrees today...

We both have plenty of time, as does Heidi. We can count on
some solid blocks of days in the 20s and low 30s in February, can't you?