Old 03-02-2004, 05:26 PM
dave weil

Default Complimentary Roses

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:42:43 GMT, torgo
wrote:

major snippage

I thought about ordering a Tamora for this year. My mother has one in
her yard and absolutely loves it. I'm replacing the front row of a
bed in front of my living room window with compact bushes. The
current selections are Fair Bianca, Marmalade Skies, Europeana,
Kathryn Morley, and Betty Boop. If one of them can't make it through
the summer, Tamora is the current first choice as a replacement.

And voles have eaten three of my Europeanas, but you bet I need to get it
again. The best red floribunda there is, even though I get no scent from it.
The perfect shape, too, and never out of bloom. Thanks for reminding me!

This discussion of Europeana made me think that I should mention
something that I talked about last year. I'm only bringing it up as a
cautionary tale for those who might suddenly be driven to buy some
Europeanas based on this discussion.

I went to my local Kroger's (a local grocery store chain for those
unfamiliar) one day and saw a bunch of cheap roses. You know the ones,
they are quasi bare root plants, packed with some sort of sawdusty
material and wrapped in plastic with a picture of the rose on it (they
look a little like a huge cigar with thorny things growing out of the
end). Having lost my Europeana to root gall, I jumped at the chance to
get a couple more Europeanas for $5 each.

Well, neither of them turned out to be Europeana. Not even close g.

So, be really careful when buying those $4.98 wrapped roses (yeah
yeah, I know - NONE of you will ever fall for them - I'm the only
chump around here chuckle), especially if they say Europeana on
them, because there are clearly some out there that *aren't*
Europeana. I wish I could remember the name of the company that
packages these. But you all have seen them all over the place.