GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Squirrals, eating plants and bird seed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/51285-squirrals-eating-plants-bird-seed.html)

Wendi 30-01-2004 03:21 PM

Squirrals, eating plants and bird seed

Please help!!!! I just moved to Valdosta, Georgia and I planted some
bulbs and the rotten squirrals have eaten off the tops. Would pine
needles work in the planters? Also they won't leave the bird seed and
suet alone. I tried the stuff you put in the seed, didn't work. I want
the birds more than I want the squirrals and there seem to be hundreds
of them. Any advice would be great !

Thank You,
Wendi

Snooze 13-02-2004 06:03 AM

Squirrals, eating plants and bird seed

"Wendi" wrote in message
m...
Please help!!!! I just moved to Valdosta, Georgia and I planted some
bulbs and the rotten squirrals have eaten off the tops. Would pine
needles work in the planters? Also they won't leave the bird seed and
suet alone. I tried the stuff you put in the seed, didn't work. I want
the birds more than I want the squirrals and there seem to be hundreds
of them. Any advice would be great !

It is possible that more money has been spent on making a squirrel resistant
bird feeder then has been spent on mouse traps. No doubt you've heard the
saying about building a better mouse trap...

Simplest solution is to place the suet and bird feeder in a location the
squirrels can't get to easily. Such as on a metal pole located at 6ft away
from any trees or fences. Others have had luck putting chili powder in the
bird feed.

Sameer

Susan H. Simko 13-02-2004 02:32 PM

Snooze wrote:

Simplest solution is to place the suet and bird feeder in a location the
squirrels can't get to easily. Such as on a metal pole located at 6ft away
from any trees or fences. Others have had luck putting chili powder in the
bird feed.

Be prepared, though, for the squirrels to learn to climb the pole.
*sigh* I use "shepherd's crooks" to hang my feeders and despite how
thin the pole is they still climb it. Squirrels are *very* resoucreful
in this matter.

However, the chili powder in the bird seed does work and does not harm
the birds. Birds have no receptors for capsacin (the stuff in chilis
that make them hot) so they don't even notice it. The squirrels, otoh,
are fun to watch the first itme they get a good bite of it.

FYI, the s.o. is a medical researcher/scientist. When I first related
my hearing about birds not having capsacin receptors, the s.o.
immediately started to research it and found that research does support
this.

If you haven't figured out by now, people seem to fall into two camps
when it comes to squirrels - those that believe they're cute, furry
critters fun to watch and those who believe they're rodents with fluffy
tails. I fall into the latter camp and would prefer that they stay far
away from my house. I have no further desire to deal with squirrels
nesting in my house then I do any other rodent.

Susan
shsimko[at]duke[dot]edu

dave weil 13-02-2004 03:47 PM

Squirrals, eating plants and bird seed

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:25:25 -0500, "Susan H. Simko"
wrote:

Snooze wrote:

[...]

I've got one word - stew.

Shiva 18-02-2004 08:07 PM

Snooze wrote:

It is possible that more money has been spent on making a squirrel resistant
bird feeder then has been spent on mouse traps. No doubt you've heard the
saying about building a better mouse trap...

Simplest solution is to place the suet and bird feeder in a location the
squirrels can't get to easily. Such as on a metal pole located at 6ft away
from any trees or fences. Others have had luck putting chili powder in the
bird feed.

Sameer

Another great way: put out squirrel feeders and keep them full. No, I do not have more squirrels
than I did before I started this! I do notice that they leave my bulbs and bird feeders alone.

Shiva 18-02-2004 08:08 PM

Squirrals, eating plants and bird seed

dave weil wrote:
I've got one word - stew.

Nasty boy. I like them. Hoever, I have not made peace with my voles.

dave weil 18-02-2004 08:46 PM

Squirrals, eating plants and bird seed

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:46:49 -0500 (EST), "Shiva"
wrote:

dave weil wrote:
I've got one word - stew.

Nasty boy. I like them. Hoever, I have not made peace with my voles.

Heck, I like squirrels too. Unfortunately, there aren't many in my
neighborhood for some reason.

dave weil 22-02-2004 05:17 AM

Squirrals, eating plants and bird seed

wrote:

dave weil wrote:
I've got one word - stew.

Nasty boy. I like them. Hoever, I have not made peace with my voles.

Heck, I like squirrels too. Unfortunately, there aren't many in my
neighborhood for some reason.

Just so you know, no, my table isn't the reason for the lack of
squirrels.

Shiva 22-02-2004 07:12 PM

wrote:

dave weil wrote:
I've got one word - stew.

Nasty boy. I like them. Hoever, I have not made peace with my voles.

Heck, I like squirrels too. Unfortunately, there aren't many in my
neighborhood for some reason.

Just so you know, no, my table isn't the reason for the lack of
squirrels.

Yah right. Methinks the nasty boy doth protest too much. Squirrel breath. :)