Old 30-01-2004, 08:58 PM
Mark. Gooley

Default Knock Out sighted at Home De[s]pot

They have them at the Home De[s]pot in Gainesville,
Florida: 2-gallon potted plants of Knock Out, the rose
the ARS and others have been having orgasms over,
around $14, probably grafted but superficially they don't
look it (maybe the union is in the potting mix, or maybe
they're actually own-root). I gave in and bought one with
a few hips on it (good news for people seeking breeding
stock? lots of fallen part-grown hips, but some plants had
a few that were still firmly attached and looked near mature).
I'll see for myself whether Knock Out can live up to all the
hype I've read about it.

(I joined the ARS recently, and to me their publications have
a sort of spinsterish feel to them, or at least a whiff of the
Sweet Little Old Lady Who Collects Hummel Figurines. I
can feel my testicles shrink as I read. Am I imagining things?)

Mark., zone 8b, the low-rent part of Florida sort of

Old 31-01-2004, 09:18 PM
Charles Perry

"Mark. Gooley" wrote:

(I joined the ARS recently, and to me their publications have
a sort of spinsterish feel to them, or at least a whiff of the
Sweet Little Old Lady Who Collects Hummel Figurines. I
can feel my testicles shrink as I read. Am I imagining things?)

No. it is a very series problem. I have heard about it before.
They may fall off. Your only hope is to send me money. Lots of
money, and I will try to bribe a relative to cast a spell to
restore your health.

Regards,

Charles

Oh, all of the Knockout plants that I have seen have been on
their own roots. Even those in plastic bags. Could just be a
regional thing though.

--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **

Old 01-02-2004, 04:16 AM
Shiva

Mark. Gooley wrote:

[snip stuff about Knockout, which is in all the strip shopping

centers and office complexes here in Raleigh and looks pretty icky
to me, regardless of hoopla]

(I joined the ARS recently, and to me their publications have
a sort of spinsterish feel to them, or at least a whiff of the
Sweet Little Old Lady Who Collects Hummel Figurines. I
can feel my testicles shrink as I read. Am I imagining things?)

MARK GOOLEY FOR BEST DESCRIPTIVE POST OF JANUARY, 2004!!

Old 03-02-2004, 12:13 AM
Mark. Gooley

"Shiva" wrote:

[snip stuff about Knockout, which is in all the strip shopping
centers and office complexes here in Raleigh and looks pretty icky
to me, regardless of hoopla]

The more I learn about this rose, the less impressed I am. It's
SHORT and the flowers are "lightly fragrant" and aren't really
anything special to look at. Okay, okay, some people don't have
much room, and there are some roses I like that don't have any
smell at all (e.g., Handel), but now I feel silly for having
bothered to buy a "Knock Out." The doggerel verse in the ARS
article should have served to warn me off.

It's interesting to me that very often I agree with ARS ratings
(except those inflated ones for miniature roses; I avoid minis
unless they are major climbers or sprawlers. I suppose that
the old-style ramblers with itty-bitty flowers on them could be
called "miniatures" as an insult, as well): for instance, "Sir
Thomas Lipton" never grows well for me and it has a low ARS
rating, and "John F. Kennedy" has nothing going for it except a
good scent (and, I suppose, wide availability, perhaps due to its
name) and is also rated low.

Mark., plotting a breeding program with R. bracteata and other
species roses with assorted recent introductions I bought cheap