Old 23-01-2003, 05:45 PM
Bob Bauer

Default lifespan of a rose

Donna proclaimed:

You honestly cannot believe a rose that your mother planted 50 years
ago is still living. If you do believe in this then i suppose you
would believe anything your mother told you?

There are of course, countless examples of roses living this long or
longer. My own mother who is 90 years old has a 'Peace' rose that is
planted in her garden and growing well that was planted in the 50's.
Still blooms every year, and hasn't reverted to the root stock.

Go into any old neighborhood in America and you will find roses on
every single block that are of the same era or older.

The 'Texas Rose Rustlers' organization is predicated on the idea that
there are old roses all over the place that can be 'discovered'.
Varieties that were thought to be lost to history.

Own root roses are more likely to survive a long time than budded or
grafted roses.

Bob Bauer
Zone 6 in Salt Lake City
http://www.rose-roses.com/

Old 24-01-2003, 05:26 PM
Jane Lumley

In article , dave weil
writes
You honestly cannot believe a rose that your mother planted 50 years
ago is still living. If you do believe in this then i suppose you
would believe anything your mother told you?

Why wouldn't this be the case? Roses can *certainly* live that long.

Of course they can. I had one in my garden that the previous owner said
dated back to the 20s. There are some in old English gardens that are
eighty-plus years old - I think the original Kiftsgate rose is more than
that.
--
Jane Lumley
Old 12-02-2003, 09:55 PM
farmgal

As far as rose longevity:
There's an old cemetary near here that dates back to the Gold Rish. In it
are tombstones untouched for many a decade, but the roses are still
flourishing.

Old 15-02-2003, 09:27 AM
Julia

farmgal wrote:
I'm in Yolo County, and the Capay Valley cemetary near here dates back to
about 1860. It is still in active use today. The roses don't get regular
care; ie; pruning and fertilizing, but it does get water and has daily
supervision and is quite rural, so the level of vandalism is quite low. I've
got a few cuttings from it which are starting to takeoff. Would love to
visit both Sac and Placerville this spring!

Here's a website with info on the Sac cemetery,

http://home.inreach.com/verlaine/roses/index.html

Are there any old roses in the Capay Valley cemetery? I just checked
Mapquest, you're not too far from Yosemite, are you? What an
interesting place to live!

Old 17-02-2003, 07:27 AM
farmgal

Are there any old roses in the Capay Valley cemetery? I just checked
Mapquest, you're not too far from Yosemite, are you? What an
interesting place to live!

Thanks for the Sac info; I can't wait. And I guess Mapquest is wrong
sometimes. I'm about as far west of Sac as Placerville is east. 10 miles or
so from UCDavis and Vacaville. I haven't IDed anything for sure, but there's
a number of roses growing around headstones that date to around the turn of
the century. Are you in Placerville?

Old 17-02-2003, 12:27 PM
Julia

farmgal wrote:
Are there any old roses in the Capay Valley cemetery? I just checked
Mapquest, you're not too far from Yosemite, are you? What an
interesting place to live!

Thanks for the Sac info; I can't wait. And I guess Mapquest is wrong
sometimes. I'm about as far west of Sac as Placerville is east. 10 miles or
so from UCDavis and Vacaville. I haven't IDed anything for sure, but there's
a number of roses growing around headstones that date to around the turn of
the century. Are you in Placerville?

No, I'm in San Diego but a group of us took a trip to the gold country 3
years ago to scope out the cemetery roses. It was a gas!

Old 23-02-2003, 07:27 PM
rsweeney

Well, i live across a plantation, that was built here in eastern VA (zone 7)
back in teh 1700's and i have a clipping off a rose bush planted there for
longer than they can rembr.

"Julia" wrote in message
farmgal wrote:
As far as rose longevity:
There's an old cemetary near here that dates back to the Gold Rish. In

it
are tombstones untouched for many a decade, but the roses are still
flourishing.

Gold rush? Where are you located? If you're talking about the
California gold rush country, that's a veritable treasure trove that's
fast disappearing. Many of the cemetery districts are so cash-strapped
that they've sprayed Roundup on everything, killing not only weeds but
roses that have lived for 150 years with little or no care.

It's heart-breaking for a rose lover. The Placerville Union Cemetery is
one that's still green, however, and has some lovely things. There's
another town, whose name escapes me at the moment, where the Catholic
cemetery is right across the road from the Protestant cemetery, lots of
goodies in each one. The old Sacramento city cemetery has been reborn
through the efforts of some dedicated nuts up there in the past 10 years
and their spring flush is a sight to behold. It's definitely worth a
trip if you're anywhere near it.

Old 24-02-2003, 05:15 AM
farmgal

I'm green with envy :)

Old 23-03-2011, 12:07 AM
Registered User

I agree, I think it probably can live for many years. I have been living in my house for 17 years, roses remain, they look like they have been for many years before I came. If you take good care of the things that it can live as long as you want it.
Pond Liners
Old 26-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Registered User

I believe roses live longer too, all they need from you is to take care of them, give them the water and light they need, and they will survive for longer than how much you could expect, it all depends on you.