Old 25-01-2003, 05:05 PM
Undine

Default Reliable nurseries

I'm trying to purchase Buck roses. Is Northland Rosarium a reliable
mail-order source? What other rose nurseries would you recommend?

Old 26-01-2003, 12:57 AM
Radika Kesavan

Undine wrote:
I'm trying to purchase Buck roses. Is Northland Rosarium a reliable
mail-order source? What other rose nurseries would you recommend?

I do not know Northland Rosarium myself, but the Garden Watchdog URL has
this to say about them:

http://gardenwatchdog.com/c/1561.html

That sounds favourable, except there seem to be comments from just two
persons on that page.

And the other consumer review group for mail order nurseries, plants by
mail, has this to say about the Northland Rosarium:

http://plantsbymail.net/c/1561/

I have heard good things said about Sam Kedem nursery in MN. Here is a
review:

http://plantsbymail.net/c/1183/

You can enter the name of any other potential vendor for you into the
search function at the above sites and see what you see.

I guess you have to taken into account which nursery is close to where
you live, because sometimes (though not always) the shipping charges may
be directly proportionate to the distance through which plants are
shipped. Also, provided all other factors are equal (a *big*
assumption), the plants will fare better with shorter distance of
shipping. OTOH, if a nursery is an out-of-state nursery and if your
state has huge sales tax (sigh ....) you might be better off buying from
the out-of-state nursery, provided that you have got a hold of an honest
broker.

FWIW.

--
Radika
California

Old 26-01-2003, 01:14 AM
Jay on Capitol Hill

I'm trying to purchase Buck roses. Is Northland Rosarium a reliable
mail-order source? What other rose nurseries would you recommend?

You should give Northland Rosarium a try, they have an extensive list of
Buck roses as I am sure you can see. I have had excellent service and plants
with Chamblees in Texas:
http://www.chambleeroses.com/
and Forestfarm in Oregon:
http://www.forestfarm.com/

I have ordered numerous 1 gallons from Chamblees and they all have been
beautiful. Prices are excellent and they are on their own roots.
Forestfarm in Oregon has roughly 55 varieties of rosa, mostly species, some
OGR's and Climbers, also own root. Their variety of shrubs, plants, trees
and conifers is mind-boggling. Check these places out. Hope this is helpful!
Jay

one of my most reliable bloomers :-) J Fortuna Orchids 2 30-06-2004 11:11 PM
Reliable Koi Dealers? matrix Ponds 15 29-02-2004 04:05 AM
suggestions for reliable, reasonably priced tree installers Adnan Aziz Texas 2 13-11-2003 01:13 PM
suggestions for reliable, reasonably priced tree installers Adnan Aziz Texas 2 04-11-2003 07:12 PM
reliable rose nursery Undine Gardening 0 25-01-2003 05:07 PM