Old 26-01-2003, 03:16 PM
dave weil

Default climbing iceberg

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 11:36:48 GMT, Jan Norris
wrote:

Has anyone had experience with "Climbing Iceberg" or "Don Juan." My
daughter wants red & white climbers for her new home, and we're sort of
gravitating to these. Thanks,

Cue Shiva...

Old 27-01-2003, 04:12 AM
JimS.

wrote:

Has anyone had experience with "Climbing Iceberg" or "Don Juan." My
daughter wants red & white climbers for her new home, and we're sort of
gravitating to these. Thanks,

Cue Shiva...

Shiva Girl,

Somebody said "DON JUAN"...... :Þ

JimS.
Seattle

Old 27-01-2003, 02:36 PM
Shiva

wrote:

Has anyone had experience with "Climbing Iceberg" or "Don Juan." My
daughter wants red & white climbers for her new home, and we're sort of
gravitating to these. Thanks,

Cue Shiva...

Very funny. G

I scored a job that pays well enough that I am not as tempted to goof off
so much, so I've been rather absorbed. But--I do love Don Juan. I do not
know how it does in colder climes, though, do you? Iknow it comes about
this--- ---- close to burning in the heat of summer here, as many deep
reds do. But it is never as bad as, say, Oklahoma. That rose burns black
in August. For this reason I have always imagined that deep reds might do
better in colder places, at least in the summer.

Old 28-01-2003, 01:06 AM
Jay on Capitol Hill

Hi Jan -
I'm in DC now, Zone 7, but had it (Don Juan) in Chicago a few years ago. We
lived right next to Lake Michigan on the way N. Side. I put it in and it
grew about 5 or 6 feet the first year, beautiful blooms. Had it's first
winter (I NEVER covered it) It froze off a few feet of the top canes. I
pruned out the dead wood and it came right back. I would suggest "Dublin
Bay", too. Where are you located? Nevermind! I see you're in the
Berkshires.....Try "Dublin Bay" or look up "Cadenza" - It is a cross between
"New Dawn" and "Climbing Embers". Climbing Embers is a "sport" of the
floribund "Embers"
This is a beautiful dark red climber, extremely healthy and it is hardy from
the cold. Should have VERY minimal die-back if any. "Dortmund" is a neat
single red with a white eye. It is pretty much bullit-proof, I brought one
here to DC from Chicago 3 years ago. Planted it in my neighbors yard and it
is a monster now. It even stayed Blackspot FREE in the heat and humidity of
Washington DC. Hope this was helpful - Jay
P.S. - Chamblees has "Cadenza" - I just received FOUR more in the mail a few
weeks ago. Wow, they have great plants, too.
Jay
Zone 7 - Sunset 32
Capitol Hill
Washington DC
Has anyone had experience with "Climbing Iceberg" or "Don Juan." My
daughter wants red & white climbers for her new home, and we're sort of
gravitating to these. Thanks,

Jan

climbing iceberg needs treatment? melanie Roses 0 09-10-2003 09:57 PM
wish list was Burgundy Iceberg Kirra Roses 3 09-04-2003 01:56 PM
Burgundy Iceberg Kirra Roses 17 25-03-2003 10:32 PM
Iceberg vs. Fabulous- comments please? JimS. Roses 16 17-02-2003 02:27 PM
Red & White Climbers climbing iceberg Radika Kesavan Roses 1 27-01-2003 10:09 AM