GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   new grower (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/523-new-grower.html)

Darlene 27-01-2003 03:10 AM

new grower

Help!!!!!
My 4 week old bare root rose bush is getting black at the top of several of
the original cuts. New leaves are still coming in but it looks like it is
trying to die from the top down. Do I have root rot or crown gall? I live
in Arizona and the bush is planted in partial shade (afternoons).
__________________________________________________ ________________ Darlene
Bachman-Calkins ICQ#: 3266702 Current ICQ status: + More ways to contact me

Shiva 27-01-2003 03:30 PM

new grower

Darlene wrote:

Help!!!!!
My 4 week old bare root rose bush is getting black at the top of several

of the original cuts. New leaves are still coming in but it looks like it
is trying to die from the top down. Do I have root rot or crown gall? I
live in Arizona and the bush is planted in partial shade (afternoons).

Hmmm. Is this when Arizonans plant bare roots? Some questions: how did you
plant this rose, where did it come from, and how have you treated it since
you put it in the ground?

Darlene 28-01-2003 05:15 AM

new grower

I followed the instructions on the package. 2 foot deep and round hole mound
of bone meal treated dirt with roots around it. Filled and watered with B-1
for 10 days. Then water once a week since. I got the bush at Home Depot it
was one of the premium bushes but I do not know which one. After
re-watering it yesterday with a tablespoon or so of the B-1 the leaves have
perked up. I cannot see if the black on the cut ends of part of the bush
are any worse or not.

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.eb43ce5e446761a59f6192f912e7a778 @1043677824.cotse.net...

Bob Bauer 28-01-2003 05:33 PM

new grower

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 19:10:21 -0700, "Darlene"
wrote:

Help!!!!!
My 4 week old bare root rose bush is getting black at the top of several of
the original cuts. New leaves are still coming in but it looks like it is
trying to die from the top down. Do I have root rot or crown gall? I live
in Arizona and the bush is planted in partial shade (afternoons).

Your rose has the fatal fungal disease 'Black Cane Canker'.

There is hope however.

You must cut off all of the black stuff ASAP, 1/2 inch below the
lowest appearance of the black stuff, if you want to save the rose.
If the black reaches the bud union, your rose is toast.

You MUST sterilize your pruners after every cut. Use a bucket with 4
cups of water and 1 cup of Clorox to dip the pruner blades in for 10
seconds after every cut. Dispose of the cut canes in the garbage
quickly and don't let them touch any part of the plant. Be careful
not to touch the ends of the cuts with anything that has touched the
canker, such as your hand or glove as well.

If it re appears, do it again.

Bob Bauer
Zone 6 in Salt Lake City
http://www.rose-roses.com/

Julia 04-02-2003 04:53 AM

new grower

Darlene wrote:
I followed the instructions on the package. 2 foot deep and round hole mound
of bone meal treated dirt with roots around it. Filled and watered with B-1
for 10 days. Then water once a week since. I got the bush at Home Depot it
was one of the premium bushes but I do not know which one. After
re-watering it yesterday with a tablespoon or so of the B-1 the leaves have
perked up. I cannot see if the black on the cut ends of part of the bush
are any worse or not.

I'm in coastal San Diego. I've seen cane dieback on new bare-roots
before. Most often it's because the rose has not been properly
re-hydrated before planting. It doesn't sound as if you soaked the
plant before putting it in the ground. I'd cut the black part of those
canes off before it spreads. Cut at least a quarter to half an inch
below where the end of the black stops, even if that means you're
cutting off some new foliage. If you don't, the cane will definitely
continue to die back. Keep an eye on it and don't let the dieback spread.