Old 28-01-2003, 01:42 AM
Bob Bauer

Default 30 Roses To Start A Garden With

I get asked the question every once in a while "If you were to start
over again, which roses would you put into your first new rose
garden?"

Here is my list of 30 modern rose 'Must Haves' for any rose collector:

HYBRID TEAS:
'Veteran's Honor' - Best red in my opinion. Can't say enough about it.
Will become a classic. Continuous blooming.

'Peace' - Everybody must have a 'Peace'. It is the law. Best selling
rose of all time and space.

'Brigadoon' - Extremely beautiful regularly occurring blooms on a
troublefree bush.

'Frederic Mistral' - Always extremely fragrant blooms in quantity on a
LARGE bush.

'Fragrant Cloud' - One of the great all time classics - great smeller.

'St. Patrick' - The longest lasting rose in the garden (yellow).

'Stainless Steel '- The best of the fragrant light mauve roses by far.

'Double Delight'- It is not the second best selling rose in the world
for nothing.

'Henry Fonda' - The best bright yellow rose in my garden. Blooms last
a long time.

'Dainty Bess' - Pink Single HT with purple stamens. Continuous
bloomer on an upright plant That doesn't take up too much room.

FLORIBUNDAS:
'Gruss An Aachen - the first floribunda and still one of the best

'Iceberg '- Non stop blooming white.

'Playboy' - Everblooming Orange and red single.

'Amber Queen' - The classic yellow/gold floribunda. Older, but still
great today.

'Betty Boop'- Continuous blooming. And that is no lie.

'Blueberry Hill'- Low and spreading, great open mauve blooms

'Tabris' - Much better than 'Nicole' white with dark pink edges.

'Summer Fashion '- Beautiful and fragrant. Blooms a lot.

'Little Darling' - Small beautiful blooms in profusion on a very
vigorous bush.

'Shocking Blue' - best fragrant mauve in my opinion. Puts 'Angel
Face' to shame.

'Fashion' - A classic oldie but a goodie. Scalloped petal edges. Pink
with white reverse. I like this one more every year.

'Circus' - A classic. A big player in rose history. And beautiful to
boot.

GRANDIFLORA and SHRUBS:
Fame - What an amazing show. It will draw you in from anywhere in the
garden.

'Gold Medal' - One of the all time great golden roses.

'Yves Piaget' - Huge unique mauve pink balls of bloom. And fragrant
to boot.
'
'Graham Thomas' - If you only plant one Austin, this should be it.

'Sonia' - The rose that made Meilland rich. The greatest florist rose
to garden rose crossover.

'Carefree Delight'- Really really stupid name on an everblooming
vigorous pink single.

'Flower Girl'- The effect of hundreds of butterflies on a bush. Big
clusters.

'Sally Holmes' - Nice, nice and nice. Vigorous and a bloom machine.

I love making these kinds of lists, it helps me put things in
perspective.

What is on your list?????

Bob Bauer
Zone 6 in Salt Lake City
http://www.rose-roses.com/

Old 28-01-2003, 04:38 AM
A guy named Emil

Bob Bauer

What is on your list?????

Hi,

I am not an expert in roses, as most of you guys are. But here are my
favorites.

1-Mr. Lincoln (how can you go wrong with Mr. Lincoln?!)
2-Chrysler Imperial
3-Love & Peace
4-Brandy
5-Love
6-Bewitched

That's all I can think of now.

Emil
Old 28-01-2003, 10:38 AM
Daniel Hanna

In Bob Bauer wrote:
What is on your list?????

HYBRID TEA:
Voodoo
La Passionata
Dame Elisabeth Murdoch
Kentucky Derby
Kardinal
Elina
Sheer Bliss
Honor

FLORIBUNDA
Hot Chocolate
Sexy Rexy

GRANDIFLORA
Queen Elizabeth
White Lightnin'

TEA
Mrs B R Cant
Monsieur Tillier

AUSTIN
The Squire
Radio Times
Abraham Darby
Heritage
Mayor of Casterbridge

NOISETTE
Mme Alfred Carriere
Old 28-01-2003, 02:27 PM
Susan H. Simko

Bob Bauer wrote:

I get asked the question every once in a while "If you were to start
over again, which roses would you put into your first new rose
garden?"

'Double Delight'- It is not the second best selling rose in the world
for nothing.

Against my better judgement and all plans to the contrary, this is the
rose I just opted for to replace the chrysanthemums in my front center
bed. I just couldn't resist the absolutely gorgeous picture and
description of its scent and colouration changes. This despite reading
that it is blackspot and mildrew prone...

Oh well, one more plant to baby shouldn't amke much of a difference.
Especially if I am rewarded with awesome blossoms and incredible scent!

Susan - still trying to figure out where she can add more roses to her
small yard without giving in and simply tilling up the grass... *laugh*
s h simko at duke dot edu

Old 28-01-2003, 04:39 PM
Bob Bauer

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:27:13 -0500, "Susan H. Simko"
wrote:

Susan - still trying to figure out where she can add more roses to her
small yard without giving in and simply tilling up the grass... *laugh*

You mean you still have grass??!!? The shame of it all....... grin

Come on give in, EVerybody has grass..... boring, boring, boring.

Bob The Enabler.
(Guaranteeing a guilt free lifestyle for all who wish it)

Old 28-01-2003, 04:44 PM
Bob Bauer

Daniel listed as his recommendations:
Elina

Many say this is by far the best light yellow rose.

Honor

On many lists as the best white HT

Hot Chocolate

Do you mean Hot Cocoa, or Hot Chocolate?

Sexy Rexy

Mine doesn't bloom much after the first flush.

Radio Times

Haven't heard of this one, tell me more.

Abraham Darby

I agree, this one is great, especially if you let it grow above your
head, because the heavy blooms tend to droop down a bit.

Heritage

Great looking, but the blooms blow very very quickly

Mayor of Casterbridge

Another one I don't know, tell me more.

NOISETTE
Mme Alfred Carriere

The best, that's for sure.

Bob Bauer
Zone 6 in Salt Lake City
http://www.rose-roses.com/

Old 28-01-2003, 04:50 PM
Bob Bauer

Emil wrote:

What is on your list?????

1-Mr. Lincoln (how can you go wrong with Mr. Lincoln?!)

Ya really wanna know? It grows too straight up without branching out
and in the hot sun is more of a purple rose than a red one. But it
does smell great when it first opens. The two red roses that I would
recommend besides 'Veteran's Honor' are 'Precious Platinum' and
'National Trust'.

2-Chrysler Imperial

Definite classic

3-Love & Peace

Last years AARS winner, I'd better get it.

4-Brandy

I can totally agree with this one.

5-Love

Looks great to start with, but then opens up to an ugly finish.

6-Bewitched

Another old classic goodie.

Bob Bauer
Zone 6 in Salt Lake City
http://www.rose-roses.com/

Old 28-01-2003, 08:00 PM
Daniel Hanna

In Bob Bauer wrote:

Hot Chocolate

Do you mean Hot Cocoa, or Hot Chocolate?

No, I meant Hot Chocolate - bred in New Zealand in the 80s by Simpson.
I'm told it is a different rose to Hot Cocoa. It's a russet pink-brown
colour.

Sexy Rexy

Mine doesn't bloom much after the first flush.

I've read that from many people, but my experience is the opposite.
It's quite popular in Australia so I think it's a warm climate rose, no
doubt.

Radio Times

Haven't heard of this one, tell me more.

Lovely mid pink Austin. Blooms hold well on the bush and it's strong
and healthy. Outperforms Abe Darby for me (flowers earlier and more
often, about same height and vigour). The fragrance is the best of ANY
rose I own. If you grow Austins at all you have to try this, it's
fantastic.

Mayor of Casterbridge

Another one I don't know, tell me more.

A newer pink Austin. Very tight, packed rosettes. Grows tall and
narrow rather than tall and wide like Abraham Darby and Radio Times.
Throws up many long, strong canes from the base. Nice fragrance. No
disease whatsoever - the foliage is deep ribbed like a Rugosa.

You can find photos and ratings of these and others in the 'reviews'
section of my web site:
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/djhanna/
Old 28-01-2003, 09:20 PM
Mike

Not quite 30, but close enough and favorites:

AUSTIN

Abraham Darby
Graham Thomas
Heritage
Molineux
Sharifa Asma

BOURBON

Mme Isaac Pereire
Souvenir de la Malmaison

CHINA

Cramoisi Superieur
Mutabilis

FLORIBUNDA

Iceberg
Sunsprite

GENEROSA

Mme Paule Massad
Sonia Rykiel

HYBRID PERPETUAL

Marchessa Boccella

HYBRID TEA

Mister Lincoln
Peace
Veteran's Honor

ROMANTICA

Fredric Mistral
Yves Piaget

TEA

Duchesse de Brabant
Francis Dubreuil
Monsieur Tillier
Sombreuil

Favorites because they are all beautiful roses. A large majority are easy
to grow and quite fragrant as well.

Mike
z8 TX

Old 29-01-2003, 03:46 AM
Jeffrey J. Potoff

Bob Bauer wrote:
I get asked the question every once in a while "If you were to start
over again, which roses would you put into your first new rose
garden?"

Here is my list of 30 modern rose 'Must Haves' for any rose collector:

snip

GRANDIFLORA and SHRUBS:
Fame - What an amazing show. It will draw you in from anywhere in the
garden.

'Gold Medal' - One of the all time great golden roses.

Gold Medal is only "golden" if you cut in and bring it indoors. After
two days on the bush it fades terribly. Yuck!

J.

Old 29-01-2003, 02:45 PM
Susan H. Simko

Bob Bauer wrote:

You mean you still have grass??!!? The shame of it all....... grin

Not much. *grin* I also have ten blueberries, tomatoes, an herb
garden, seven bird feeders, 2 lilacs, 4 gardenias, bradford pear (whom
I'm still debating about removing...), strawberry plants, 2 spirea
bushes, a holly, some kind of japanese shrub that I'm always forgetting
the name of and chopping the heck out of because it annoys me, boxwood
shrubs, alstromeria lilies, stargazer lilies, white asiatic lilies,
pansies, pussy willow, burning bush, dwarf crape myrtle, numerous deep
purple bearded irises, crocuses, petunias, double tulips, hyacinthes,
begonias, fuscia, tuberoses, freesia, honeysuckle, purple butterfly
bush, zinnias and other things I am forgetting. Of course, this list
does not include the roses, the orchids and african violets inside along
with the other houseplants, the new rose I just ordered nor all the
plants I ordered in the last few days. Oh yeah, we have a quarter of an
acre which also has a house on it. *grin*

Come on give in, EVerybody has grass..... boring, boring, boring.

I think the s.o. might like all the grass gone on one account - my
partner swears I'm testing for skills at "precision lawn mowing". *grin*

Bob The Enabler.
(Guaranteeing a guilt free lifestyle for all who wish it)

Oh yeah, just what I need. Someone encouraging me. *grin* Did I
mention I also own over 2000 books so the new found passion for
gardening (discovered when we bought this house) has also added to the
book collection? One must simply own a book on roses, one (or two) on
orchids, another on pruning, some more on perennials, a must have on
plant identification, etc.... I definitely need encouragement. *laugh*

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu

Old 29-01-2003, 03:30 PM
Shiva

Susan H. Simko wrote (about ht Double Delight):

Against my better judgement and all plans to the contrary, this is the
rose I just opted for to replace the chrysanthemums in my front center
bed. I just couldn't resist the absolutely gorgeous picture and
description of its scent and colouration changes. This despite reading
that it is blackspot and mildrew prone...

I hope you will let me know how this one does for you, Susan. And, I must
say that it has been my experience that the roses I find most delicious
are the ones that blackspot and insects seem to go for first, as well.
Honestly, it is the fragrant roses that always get eaten up and blackened
first in my garden--if I lapse in my spray program. I say grow what you
like--or at least TRY what you like. If you then decide the rose is too
much trouble, you can replace it. I have never found any of my great big
blousy fragrant fussy hybrid teas too fussy to put up with. Especially
since they DO "put out." G

Susan - still trying to figure out where she can add more roses to her
small yard without giving in and simply tilling up the grass... *laugh*

Don't waste your good mind on such things! Just till up the grass! :-)

s h simko at duke dot edu

Old 29-01-2003, 04:59 PM
Susan H. Simko

Shiva wrote after I posted about buying Double Delight:

I hope you will let me know how this one does for you, Susan. And, I must
say that it has been my experience that the roses I find most delicious
are the ones that blackspot and insects seem to go for first, as well.

I've always been a fan of the underdog. Must be why I like roses so
much. My neighbors have been known to laugh at me or claim I gross them
out when they see me picking the japanese beetle scourge off of my roses
on a twice daily basis during scourge season.

Honestly, it is the fragrant roses that always get eaten up and blackened
first in my garden--if I lapse in my spray program. I say grow what you
like--or at least TRY what you like. If you then decide the rose is too
much trouble, you can replace it. I have never found any of my great big
blousy fragrant fussy hybrid teas too fussy to put up with. Especially
since they DO "put out." G

Love that last line! That's exactly what I'm hoping DD does which will
make any fussing with a temperamental rose well worth it. Hey, I cater
to four tempermental felines in the house - roses are easy in comparison!

FYI, I did order the Double Delight from Jackson and Perkins. Decided
that I *know* their quality and didn't want to take any chances with
anyone else. One of these days, I'll get around to buying *something*
from Witherspoon. Maybe, some miniature roses to fill the spots where I
removed azalea bushes in one of the front beds... *grin* (I know, some
of you may consider it heresy to uproot an Azalea. I'm merciless with
what I like and don't like due to limited area.)

Don't waste your good mind on such things! Just till up the grass! :-)

Yes, but then what will the s.o. do for exercise and skill sharpening if
there's no grass to mow in and around the various beds?

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu

Old 30-01-2003, 11:27 PM
Shiva

Susan H. Simko wrote:

I've always been a fan of the underdog.

I sense a kindred spirit in you, Susan! At least in this respect.
Hopefully your reaction to bullying (something often done to "underdogs")
is not as black as mine.

Must be why I like roses so
much. My neighbors have been known to laugh at me or claim I gross them
out when they see me picking the japanese beetle scourge off of my roses
on a twice daily basis during scourge season.

Ahh, what do they spend their time doing? You get what you pay for, in so
many ways, in so many areas of life. It's not that good things cannot be
easy--it's just that some of the best things are not.

Honestly, it is the fragrant roses that always get eaten up and

blackened

Love that last line! That's exactly what I'm hoping DD does which will
make any fussing with a temperamental rose well worth it.

Hee! I'm going to saunter up to a few of my underperformers and say "put
out or get out, baybee!" Actually, I am trying to give them each three
years to prove they are worth the trouble and garden real estate. But--at
times I just cannot. A scentless rose that also is stingy with blooms?
Unless the few blooms are HEAVENLY to look at, that rose is gonna have to
be gone.

Hey, I cater
to four tempermental felines in the house - roses are easy in comparison!

I have two. Hard to imagine a more perfect creature in the world. Both are
rescues/former strays. They are all wonderful, but the other day it
saddened me to see two of those overbred persians--the ones that honestly
look deformed because their faces are so flat, it is as though they have
no face? My acquaintance paid hundreds for these animals, to one of those
kitty mills, and the health problems bred into them have already meant
high vet bills. Meanwhile--thousands upon thousands of strays, many at the
no-kill shelters, healthy genetic mixes, all shots, spayed or neutered,
maybe $75. Here is my retirement plans: to become That Weird Old Lady on
the street who has about 900 cats. Only I want a vast mansion and full
time staff to care for them. And, hell, me too! G

FYI, I did order the Double Delight from Jackson and Perkins. Decided
that I *know* their quality and didn't want to take any chances with
anyone else.

I love J&P roses. There in Durham, just like here and lots of places, J&P
is all you see in potted roses in many garden centers. I have had nothing
but good results with potted J&Ps. I have never actually ordered a bare
root from them, though. Let me know how it does. My J&P BOXED Don Juan is
my very best rose!! Never out of bloom, vigorous beyond belief, medium
fragrant, damned near the perfect rose.

One of these days, I'll get around to buying *something*
from Witherspoon.

I budget about $100 a season to blow on roses at frufru nurseries. You
know, where you pay $20-$25 for potted? I find I need to have that
little "thrill!" (My GOD but I am growing middle aged!)

Maybe, some miniature roses to fill the spots where I
removed azalea bushes in one of the front beds... *grin* (I know, some
of you may consider it heresy to uproot an Azalea.

Susan, we need to have a party here at my downtown Raleigh house. I have
40-year-old azaleas in one yard--many, many, many of them--that I hate
except for that ten days in April when they bloom in concert with the
dogwoods and globe kerria and such. They were not pruned at all by the
previous owner--so when I do, they are nothing but thick wood. Some say
azaleas should be replaced every ten years.

Yes, but then what will the s.o. do for exercise and skill sharpening if
there's no grass to mow in and around the various beds?

I have two words for you: ROSE HOLES!

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu