Old 28-01-2003, 02:37 AM
elfa

Default Picked up 11 roses today

The property manager for a rental in my neighborhood is
having all the roses dug up and removed. She told me I
could have any that I wanted.

I took 11 of them. Unfortunately, they had been pruned and had
no flowers to indicate variety or color. They seem to be
minatures as they have small leaves.

Should be in for some surprises this spring.

elfa

Old 29-01-2003, 12:03 AM
Suzanne in CA

elfa wrote in message ...
The property manager for a rental in my neighborhood is
having all the roses dug up and removed. She told me I
could have any that I wanted.

I took 11 of them. Unfortunately, they had been pruned and had
no flowers to indicate variety or color. They seem to be
minatures as they have small leaves.

Should be in for some surprises this spring.

elfa

What a blast! Let us know who they are : )please : ) it's fun to
rejoice together in freeebies : )
Old 29-01-2003, 12:32 AM
saki

(Suzanne in CA) wrote in
om:

elfa wrote in message
The property manager for a rental in my neighborhood is
having all the roses dug up and removed. She told me I
could have any that I wanted.

I took 11 of them. Unfortunately, they had been pruned and had
no flowers to indicate variety or color. They seem to be
minatures as they have small leaves.

Should be in for some surprises this spring.

elfa

What a blast! Let us know who they are : )please : ) it's fun to
rejoice together in freeebies : )

Absolutely! In my garden I discovered two "free" infants this past
weekend, growing a few inches away from the base of Scentimental. At
first I thought they might be seedlings or cuttings that had somehow
rooted themselves but it appears they were volunteering from
Scentimental's rootstock. I potted up both of them and have been told
they're likely Dr. Huey, which is fine with me; I already have a full-
sized one that blooms beautifully in spring and two more are most
welcome.

As an experiment I've been seeing how many months can go by before I buy
more roses...just to test whether I have any self-control left at all. I
bought none in November; none in December; and have so far gotten through
most of January with nary a farthing spent on roses. Okay, I had to buy
some five-gallon cans in December to pot up my one-gallon cuttings, but
that doesn't count, does it?

Now that I've proven I can regulate my spending, it's time to let loose
with a small let's-see-how-the-water-feels order. From Ashdown so far:
Secret Garden Musk Climber (whose fragrance is said to be outstanding as
is its ability to bloom in lower-light circumstances), Lady Ann Kidwell
(recommended as a good polyantha that has a tea shape and fragrance),
Mary Washington (which will be my first Noisette), and Niles Cochet (a
lovely tea which looked nifty at Descanso Gardens in So Cal last month so
I'll gve it a try).

I happened to read an article where The Edwardian Lady was featured and
now think I ought to get that one as well. And recommendations for it?

----

Old 29-01-2003, 03:37 PM
Shiva

elfa wrote:

The property manager for a rental in my neighborhood is
having all the roses dug up and removed. She told me I
could have any that I wanted.

Yippee for you! Be sure to invite her over and show her how gorgeous they
are this summer.

Unfortunately, they had been pruned and had
no flowers to indicate variety or color. They seem to be
minatures as they have small leaves.

Should be in for some surprises this spring.

I hope you will post some photos of the blooms so that people here might
help you identify them. That's fun, I think. If you don't have a place to
post photos, you can email them to me and I will post them for you.

elfa

Old 30-01-2003, 12:54 AM
elfa

Shiva....
Actually...one had a small flower.
Link to photo below. It's pretty but I have no
idea of the variety.

http://web.newsguy.com/paperbag/Images/Mystery.JPG

Any ideas?

elfa

In article aHlwYXRpYQ==.3904583c05b1acf0838aae61395803ba@104 3854634.cotse.net,
"Shiva" says...

Old 30-01-2003, 01:44 AM
Shiva

elfa wrote:

Shiva....
Actually...one had a small flower.
Link to photo below. It's pretty but I have no
idea of the variety.

Really, really pretty, Elfa. You say it might be a miniature? Its coloring
reminds me of the Floribunda Nicole--one of the few scentless roses I grow
and love.

Old 30-01-2003, 02:49 AM
elfa

The bloom is 1 1/2 inches across.

My rose book makes no mention of how large/small in inches,
minature blooms should be....so I just assume it is
a minature.

elfa

In article aHlwYXRpYQ==.8ef028217b4e75930a548ccf1d841740@104 3891092.cotse.net,
"Shiva" says...

Old 30-01-2003, 10:23 PM
Bob Bauer

elfa said:

Actually...one had a small flower.
Link to photo below. It's pretty but I have no
idea of the variety.
http://web.newsguy.com/paperbag/Images/Mystery.JPG

Any ideas?

Yes, I'm pretty sure that the name of that rose is 'Magic Carrousel'.
A very widely grown and distributed miniature hybridized by Ralph
Moore in 1972.

The red edges will get darker red with exposure to bright sunlight. I

One of the most widely grown of all mini roses.

Bob Bauer
Zone 6 in Salt Lake City
http://www.rose-roses.com/

Old 30-01-2003, 11:17 PM
Suzanne in CA

what fun you are having! I have not heard of The Edwardian Lady, will
have to look her up to find out more : )
Proud of you, not spending any rose bucks in November LOL - and no, 5
gallon pots don't count as rose bucks - by MY rules, anyway!
I did fine in November, and December....it was the Dumpster Diving at
Home Depot that did me in in January...had to try Whisky Mac once
again as the one I purchased at HD last year was not WM, and a Blue
Girl and Royal Highness. I have fun growing the $2 Dumpster Dive roses
each year, and then pass along to the Rose Society the ones that don't
thrill me : ) I'm SO fickle LOL
Have fun rosing! I would be right now if I didn't have the Creeping
Crud : )
Suzanne, zone 10a

saki wrote in message . ..
(Suzanne in CA) wrote in
om:

Old 31-01-2003, 12:06 AM
elfa

I'm glad you think it's 'Magic Carrousel'.
I was on the verge of going to my local rose
company to look at their minatures. The only
one in their online catalog I liked was
'Magic Carrousel'.

elfa

In article , Bob says...