GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Shiva - AZ new grower (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/529-shiva-az-new-grower.html)

Darlene 28-01-2003 04:51 AM

Shiva - AZ new grower

I followed the instructions on the package. 2 foot deep and round hole mound
of bone meal treated dirt with roots around it. Filled and watered with B-1
for 10 days. Then water once a week since. I got the bush at Home Depot it
was one of the premium bushes but I do not know which one. After
re-watering it yesterday with a tablespoon or so of the B-1 the leaves have
perked up. I cannot see if the black on the cut ends of part of the bush
are any worse or not.
__________________________________________________ ________________ Darlene
Bachman-Calkins ICQ#: 3266702 Current ICQ status: + More ways to contact me

Shiva 29-01-2003 04:34 PM

Shiva - AZ new grower

Darlene wrote:

I followed the instructions on the package[...]

Darlene--I think Bob is right. He is in a climate (zone) more similar to
yours than I am, that is for sure. It sounds like you took good care of
your baby rose. Just a suggestion-for your next rose, please consider
ordering a bare root rose from one of the reputable mailorder rose vendors
like Edmunds or Jackson and Perkins. Most are online and you just order
with a credit card. Although we all buy the Walmart cheapies at one time
or another, it is almost always true that their roots are cut very short
to fit into the packaging, and that is a handicap right off the bat. Good
bare roots do not come this way. They have long, healthy roots. Roses can
be a little fussy, so it is better not to handicap them before you even
plant them, you know?