Old 19-02-2004, 11:13 PM
dave weil

Default Last frost

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:44:06 -0600, kate
wrote:

dave weil wrote:

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:12:24 GMT, escapee
wrote:

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:16:38 GMT, Crystal opined:

When is the average last frost where you are? When I lived in
Portland, everyone believed that the last frost was always on Tax
Day, April 15! Is this a saying anywhere else? Now I live in
Northern California, where there's never any frost. Not in my
corner of it, at least.

Dreaming of springtime,
Crystal Bucher

Average last frost date in my region is March 6, but I don't ever trust that as
anything can happen. We safely go with March 15-20. For sure by March 30.

I think I read that here in Nashville (Zone 6b), last frost date is
usually considered either 7 or 12 April. For the last couple of years,
I don't remember a frost in April at all. But you never know about
these things. Growing up in Memphis, we got the largest snowfall in
recorded history on April 18th (I think). It was 18 inches back around
'68. I'm sure Nashville got plastered as well. It was a funny thing.
Just this week, we got 7 inches of snow just a hour SOUTH of here.
Nashville got nary a flake.

What hurts us is the late March hard frost that we always seem to get.
It occurs right at the peak of marigold bloomings. Usually screws
things up good, especially since mid-March is usually quite warm.
That's why I usually wait until mid-April to do my serious spring
pruning.

Marigold bloomings in March? When do you plant your marigolds?

Oooops, I didn't mean marigolds. Sorry. Brain lockup. I meant
narcissus. I don't know why I occasionally mix up the names.

Sorry!

Farmers Almanac lists Nashville's last frost date as April 5, but my
neighbors don't put their tomatoes in until April 25. I'm usually a dare
devil and put them in around April 15.

It's beautiful here today. I hoed around the garlic (transplanting some
of the chickweed from my neighbor's garden to mine) while he tilled. A
very pleasant hour and probably more productive than my removing moss
for my garden and transplanting it to the mossy front yard.

Kate

Old 19-02-2004, 11:14 PM
Dwight Sipler

kate wrote:

... but my
neighbors don't put their tomatoes in until April 25. I'm usually a dare
devil and put them in around April 15...

If your first planting of tomatoes doesn't freeze occasionally you
aren't putting them in early enough. Push the envelope (but provide them
some protection). (Also, plan on a couple different plantings of
tomatoes).

[Here in MA, we've had frost as late as Memorial day and as early as the
week before Labor day, so think of us while you're planting]

Old 20-02-2004, 12:30 AM
Deena Stein

Very cute. Wonder if there's any connection? I don't know about
a saying, but I used to hold out on buying new flowers until after
I'd filed my taxes, which was usually at the last minute, of
course! At least it kept me from filing an extension.
Last year my son walked me through filing them online at
taxbrain.com, and it was so easy that I went back to the site this
year and have already finished my 2003's. Now I have to wait
another month before I can even think about planting, grrrr! Maybe
procrastination was better after all.

Deena

~remove 'queen' to email me~
I'm actually just a princess ... ;-)

In article t,
says...

Old 20-02-2004, 12:30 AM
Jim Lewis

"WiGard" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:16:38 +0000, Crystal wrote:

When is the average last frost where you are? When I lived in

Portland,
everyone believed that the last frost was always on Tax Day,

April 15! Is
this a saying anywhere else? Now I live in Northern

California, where
there's never any frost. Not in my corner of it, at least.

Dreaming of springtime,
Crystal Bucher

The USDA has all kinds of charts with average last frost dates.

Why ask?

She's prolly just curious about us. In Tallahassee it is March
16, but we had a doozie on April 12 last year.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

last frost? Arwen Long North Carolina 6 09-03-2004 05:15 AM
last frost? Arwen Long North Carolina 1 06-03-2004 05:31 PM
Frost last night in North Shirley, Long Island. Jerry Minasi Edible Gardening 7 07-10-2003 08:02 PM
Last Frost B & J Gardening 2 29-04-2003 10:44 PM
Last frost in May. When to start sowing veg? Nicholas United Kingdom 2 10-02-2003 08:40 PM