Old 28-01-2003, 07:26 PM
Josh Hemm

Default Lavendar Lassie & Winter

First off, I used to post a bit in the past, but that was when we had
AOL. Since getting rid of AOL I had been searching for a place that
would allow me to post to Usenet without using some form of Outlook or
something similar or with needing to pay a monthly fee. And since
finding out that Google allowed free from web posting to Usenet
groups, I have not seen a single name that which I remember from the
fairly short period of time posting from AOL. Anyways, to the point of
my post.
Lavendar Lassie started blooming a second time back in November and is
still blooming, as of right now it is the only one in bloom. I have
had it for a couple of years now, and it hadn't done this in previous
years, I know that it is because of this strange abnormal winter
(which just now started for us two weeks ago as opposed to the normal
of mid-October). As of right now only two of my roses are in
hibernation, but they could come out of it any moment. All the other
roses are growing like crazy, lots of new growth, some new buds.
Anyways, the coldest it has ever been here since I have lived here is
right about 29, and it's a little bit too late for it to get down to
that now since the sun has already started it's migration north along
the horizon. However, we could still get a coldsnap down to about 45.
In the past week the temperature has been hovering around 58-65. So,
do you think that I should remove the blooms, which will cause the
rose to produce more candelabras of blooms of about 15 each (right now
it has one), or should I just let it bloom and then have the next time
it blooms be May? I have had this happen before but not with JUST one
rose, the last time this has happened it involved 40 of my roses. This
phenomena is not isolated to Lavendar Lassie, there are also Crocuses
and Daffodils coming up AND blooming. Yet the fact remains that we
could get a coldsnap. I'm not too worried about the rose as it is
quite large and can take care of itself, however, I would like to see
it blooming in Mid-Spring before I go on my missions trip to South
Africa a second time. What are your thoughts on this matter? Please
e-mail the responses in addition to posting it to the rest of the
group as there might be others who are having the same thing happening
to them.
Thanks for your patience to read through this monstrous post of mine,
and thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Josh
Old 29-01-2003, 06:13 AM
Suzanne in CA

(Josh Hemm) wrote in message om...
[...]

Hey, Josh, where are you located? Doesn't sound like northern California, LOL
~Suzanne in NorCal : )
Old 31-01-2003, 07:16 PM
Josh Hemm

Hey, Josh, where are you located? Doesn't sound like northern California, LOL
~Suzanne in NorCal : )

I'm on the coast, and if I were 40 miles north of here, I'd be in
Oregon. And this weather, is NOT normal for here. Which part of Nor
Cal are you in? and don't say Sacramento or Santa Rosa as they are
Central Cal.