Old 28-01-2003, 10:47 PM
DFStoneJr

Default Recommendations for Texas?

Hi, all,

I live in southwest Fort Worth, zone 7A or 7B (that close to the
line), and I need a little help.

I've been perusing the Jackson & Perkins and David Austin catalogues
for more than a week and am overwhelmed with the choices!

I think I might be able to make some final decisions for 3-4-ft bushes
(although any suggestions for fragrant, season-long flowers that don't
require a lot of maintenance would be appreciated!).

Where I need a little help is in two areas:

1) Along a 6-foot west-facing fence. I have about 20 linear feet to
cover, and these bushes will serve not only as a screen/hedge but also
as a backdrop for some of the smaller roses I wish to acquire. I'm
loking at Rosaraie De L'Hay primarily because the David Austin
catalogue lists it as 7 feet tall. Any thoughts on that or any other
suggestions? I'd prefer height, low maintenance, lots of blooms and
fragrance.

2) On a west-facing brick wall. Actually, this will be in a corner, a
spot that can get really hot in the summer. We had a Sombreuil that
did well there. I'd like to replace it with something that has lots
of flowers throughout the season, if possible, and is very fragrant.
I wouldn't mind mixing a red and a white together. The limitation is
a trellis/support that's only about 5 feet tall, which rules out many
traditional climbers but might introduce the possibility of using some
of the "English Roses as Climbers" varieties in the Austin catalogue.

I would greatly appreciate any advice.
Old 29-01-2003, 05:37 AM
Suzanne in CA

(DFStoneJr) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Hi!
Some roses that have worked incredibly for me are Graham Thomas
(TALL!), New Year (tons of flowers), Lagerfeld (unbelievable reach LOL
and FRAGRANT), and Arizona...that one is not listed as a climber, but
the canes are really long and need to be tamed - gorgeous flowers!
Hope this helps : )
Suzanne
zone 10?
Old 30-01-2003, 02:42 AM
James Delahanty

" I live in southwest Fort Worth, zone 7A or 7B (that close to the
line), and I need a little help.

Both the Dallas and the Fort Worth Rose Societies are extremely helpful
in indicating what roses are suitable for the mid-Texas climate. I seem
to recall seeing Blaze and Don Juan all over the place. However, you
can more specific help than that. Just go to the Dallas Rose Society
home page--www.geocities.com/dallasroses/
where they have an icon for 'What roses do well in this area.'

JD

Old 30-01-2003, 02:55 AM
DFStoneJr

Just go to the Dallas Rose Society
home page--www.geocities.com/dallasroses/
where they have an icon for 'What roses do well in this area.'

I found that page yesterday and printed it off. It does have some useful
information, although I also value the first-hand opinions of others.
Slowly, I'm narrowing the search.

Old 31-01-2003, 05:21 PM
bryan lafleur

Do a search for Field Roebuck, he has a web site called the Field
Report, mostly about DFW roses and organic gardening. He also appears
to have a vendetta against Howard Garrett. But he does have some good
info on roses.

A few I have had good luck with are Meidilland, Old Blush, La Marne,
and Belinda's Dream (specially bred for Tx).

Good luck,
Bryan

picking a small tree in Austin Texas James Lawns 1 19-03-2003 12:44 AM
Garden Fertilizer for Texas Snowfeet1 Gardening 11 17-03-2003 10:42 PM
Natives of Texas (URL) animaux Texas 8 25-02-2003 03:29 PM
Texas Bluebonnet seeds HaaRoy United Kingdom 0 22-01-2003 08:51 PM
[AD] Caretaker Wanted in Texas Pat McDonald Permaculture 0 31-12-2002 04:54 PM