Old 21-02-2004, 11:33 PM
ed

Default first rose wounds of the year

it was about 60 degrees in Winston Salem NC USA today...I got out and
piddled, cutting out deadwood, looking and dreaming, planning and
dreaming...such is the hope of a rose lover...and I got sliced a little bit,
sweet wounds to look at later this week when it gets cold again...no
apologies here for looking forward to fighting aphids and looking for that
first bloom....

ed

Old 25-02-2004, 12:51 PM
ed

I have 150 or so roses, a little of everything, some own root "babies", etc.
I'm putting in a few more austin roses this year-I love their "take over the
rose bed" habit. They are not much of a cut flower, but I've got other roses
for that. Double Delight is my favorite rose-it is hateful to grow, not an
easy rose at all, but I love it.
outtaheretogotowork
ed
"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.9b9494a3be3153bfa9066d9def8f2751 @1077552287.nulluser.com...
ed wrote:

it was about 60 degrees in Winston Salem NC USA today...I got out and
piddled, cutting out deadwood, looking and dreaming, planning and
dreaming...such is the hope of a rose lover...and I got sliced a little

bit,
sweet wounds to look at later this week when it gets cold again...no
apologies here for looking forward to fighting aphids and looking for

that
first bloom....

Ed you are such a softie! I am looking forward to doing the same
soon if I can get caught up at work. What do you have and what
are you thinking of getting this year? Tell all! (I am in Raleigh,
and really like W/S, by the way.)

Old 17-03-2004, 04:58 PM
Theo

Double delight has got to be just
about the most popular rose around here.

My neighbhor has a matching pair across
her drive way.

Right now they are enclosed in some styrofoam
thingy with hay and mulch protecting them.

She gets about 2 roses per month from each plant
and seems to invest as much energy on those two
as I do on my 130. Nice scent but when my Felicia
starts blooming I can smell it from her driveway While
her DD's do not carry to mine.

She always has an horrible boty problem every year too.

--
Theo

in KC Z5

. com...

"Shiva" wrote in message

news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.9b9494a3be3153bfa9066d9def8f2751 @1077552287.nulluser.com..
..

Old 17-03-2004, 08:04 PM
dave weil

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:05:19 GMT, "Theo"
wrote:

Nice scent but when my Felicia
starts blooming I can smell it from her driveway While
her DD's do not carry to mine.

Yes, yes, yes!

And it's a *pretty* smell too - musky *and* sweet at the same time. It
reminds me of my favorite perfumes. I *love* the look of those
clusters as well...

BTW, I had bragged on my Belami planting last year and I had talked
about not taking the first blooms. I'm beginning to wonder if I made a
mistake as the mild winter really took its toll on those three plants.
LOTS of canker (or discoloration, whatever). I went out and had to
prune several of the main canes all the way down to the graft. I'm
hoping to get some good basal growth, but I think I'm going back to my
original thought about taking first blooms upon planting.