Old 29-01-2003, 12:33 AM
Suzanne in CA

Default Cuttings, and trading roses

Do any of you want to trade successful cuttings or mature roses? I
have such fun doing that with my family and friends and was wondering
about anyone online doing that as well.
One of my girlfriends has the best soil; every other year we lay down
redwood compost over her roses, so it has been quite a few years of
decomposing compost that makes such heavenly soil for her roses - we
simply prune her roses and put the best of the prunings in the soil
around each rose...and leave alone other than watering with the mother
plant until the next winter when we dig up the successful cuttings and
start again : )
How have you enjoyed taking cuttings? I started out more technical and
found the lazy way the best for me LOL
Cheers!
Suzanne in CA
Old 03-02-2003, 06:13 AM
Kirra

"Suzanne in CA" wrote in message
om...
Do any of you want to trade successful cuttings or mature roses? I
have such fun doing that with my family and friends and was wondering
about anyone online doing that as well.
One of my girlfriends has the best soil; every other year we lay down
redwood compost over her roses, so it has been quite a few years of
decomposing compost that makes such heavenly soil for her roses - we
simply prune her roses and put the best of the prunings in the soil
around each rose...and leave alone other than watering with the mother
plant until the next winter when we dig up the successful cuttings and
start again : )
How have you enjoyed taking cuttings? I started out more technical and
found the lazy way the best for me LOL
Cheers!
Suzanne in CA

I have just started taking cuttings in the last couple of months. My first
lot were from my mother's rootstock rose that has overtaken. I figure I
might need them sometime if I want to try my hand at grafting :-) I took
about 10 cuttings and about 2/3 took. I've got little leaves and had to pot
up some that the roots started coming out the bottom of the little pots I
put the cuttings into (with plastic bottles cut in half for green house).

The second lot were from an unknown reddy, orangey, cupped rose that I liked
when we went on holidays. The couple had just bought the holiday house and
offered me two large bits of the bush from which I got about 8 cuttings.
Still waiting to see how they will go but I am hopefull.

I want to try some more cuttings and also maybe have a go at grafting. I'm
more than willing to share/trade cuttings but not sure about the customs and
shipping issues :-)

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
Z10

Old 09-02-2003, 08:01 AM
farmgal

I also, after the whole sterilized soiless medium thing, am just sticking
cuttings by the mother plant. Seems to be working...Probably won't have any
ready till next winter, but I am *very* interested. Have also gotten quite a
few from an old, country cemetary.
Carol zone 9 CA