Old 30-01-2003, 10:56 PM
Radika Kesavan

Default Fragrant roses Sunsprite

Bob Bauer wrote:
Radika said:

I am sort of guessing that there are two verions of Sunsprite being
offered in the U. S., one fragrant and the other not, based on all
realiable rose people at different places in the U. S. reoporting two
sets of experiences.

My 'Sunsprite' is of the non fragrant persuasion. I have sniffed
this rose hundreds of times in all stages of blooming and only once in
a while do I get a sniff of perfume. Mostly nothing. Never strong.
I was beginning to suspect that I had a defective sniffer, but I have
had many other people sniff it to no avail as well.

Interesting. Very interesting. Did you get your Sunsprite from Edmunds,
by any chance? You might check out the Sunsprite from Ashdown if you
think it worth your while. Or else come out this way for the Spring
Celebrations in Guadelupe River Park again, and smell the Sunsprite at
the Heritage?

I am beginning to wonder if there are certain clone lines that have
sported to a version that is not fragrant.

This is what I am wondering too.

My 'Double Delight' on the other hand, is extremely fragrant at all
stages of bloom.

This DD fragrance/non-fragrance divide seemed to have a geographic
distribution the last time I looked. It was clearly: west of the
Rockies, it is fragrant and east of the Rockies, it is not. I am not
sure what another unscientific survey would show if it was taken today...

It is one of only 5 or so roses that I grow that I
can predictably have people smell and know that they will not be
disappointed.

What are the other four in your garden?

Out here (in just our garden), such roses that all who smell them
identify as fragrant would be:

Francis Dubreuil
Barbara Worl
Sheer Bliss
Tradescant
Gertrude Jekyll
Othello
Cecile Brunner
Don Juan
Lady Hillingdon
Tamora
Sunsprite
Florence Delattre
Comte de Chambord
Rose de Rescht
Lilac Rose

.... and some others that I am sure I am forgetting right now because all
I see is the wintry landscape ...

Just got Fragrant Cloud this year, and I know this will be one of those
by and by. This is one that you think fragrant too, right?

--
Radika
California

Old 31-01-2003, 12:28 AM
Bob Bauer

Radika said:

My 'Sunsprite' is of the non fragrant persuasion.

Interesting. Very interesting. Did you get your Sunsprite from Edmunds,
by any chance? You might check out the Sunsprite from Ashdown

I got mine bare root in a bag from one of those no name Texas
rosegrowers.

I am beginning to wonder if there are certain clone lines that have
sported to a version that is not fragrant.

This is what I am wondering too.

My 'Double Delight' on the other hand, is extremely fragrant ...

This DD fragrance/non-fragrance divide seemed to have a geographic
distribution the last time I looked. It was clearly: west of the
Rockies, it is fragrant and east of the Rockies, it is not.

So do you think that it could be a humidity thing? Smelly when dry?

It is one of only 5 or so roses that I grow that I
can predictably have people smell and know that they will not be
disappointed.

What are the other four in your garden?

Number one would have to be 'Frederic Mistral'. Always killer. I
hereby require you to get this one, Radika..... g (and anyone else
who is listening...... just go get one)

'The Prince'
'La Ville de Bruxelles' (any Damask for that matter)
'Sonia Rykiel'
'Purple Passion'

Out here (in just our garden), such roses that all who smell them
identify as fragrant would be:
Tradescant

Sometimes very fragrant, sometimes not at all

Gertrude Jekyll

Sometimes very fragrant, mostly slightly to moderately fragrant

Don Juan

Fragrant 1/2 the time

Tamora

Fragrant 1/4 the time

Florence Delattre

Fragrant when it blooms, which is not that often.

... and some others that I am sure I am forgetting right now because all
I see is the wintry landscape ...

Others that are fragrant more often than not for me:
'Mirandy'
'Fragrant Cloud'
'Sweet Surrender'
'Sutter's Gold'
'Summer Fashion'
'Abraham Darby'
'Graham Thomas'
'Barbra Streisand'
'Fragrant Apricot'

Just got Fragrant Cloud this year, and I know this will be one of those
by and by. This is one that you think fragrant too, right?

Sometimes you want to glue it to your nose, other times, nothing. Go
figure.

Bob Bauer
Zone 6 in Salt Lake City
http://www.rose-roses.com/

Old 31-01-2003, 02:36 AM
Radika Kesavan

Bob Bauer wrote:
Radika said:

Double Delight in a nonscientific poll ... west of the Rockies,
it is fragrant and east of the Rockies, it is not.

So do you think that it could be a humidity thing? Smelly when dry?

That might be so if all else was equal. All else is never equal, is it -
there was no control set in the "poll" for from where folks bought the
rose. Mine is from J & P, and it is very fragrant. Both of them ...

So, sorry but do not know the answer to that. I would have thought the
humidity made the fragrances more intense, for the heavily-scented
tropical blossoms do smell heavily out there, but, who is to say; there
are too many uncontrolled variables.

The 5 or so roses among the many that Bob grows that he can
predictably have people be delighted by their scents

What are the other four in your garden?

Number one would have to be 'Frederic Mistral'. Always killer. I
hereby require you to get this one, Radika..... g (and anyone else
who is listening...... just go get one)

LOL! Yeah, the monster rose is wonderful indeed. If I ever can make room
for it, I would really like to have it. My husband liked this rose a lot
too when we visited the Portland ARS test garden, and that usually
inspires me g.

The thing is, if I make a room for another Romantica, I would really
wnat Peter Mayle. It is a gorgeous rose and quite fragrant too.

'The Prince' 'La Ville de Bruxelles' (any Damask for that matter)

Oh, yeah - I forgot; I have Ispahan, and that is a mighty
strongly-scented Damask.

'Sonia Rykiel'

How is this one doing for you? Mine is third year in the ground and is
not too vigorous in growth, and am seriously considering digging it up
and getting rid of it. I agree, the blossoms do smell wonderfuly well
though. Sigh ...

'Purple Passion'

Yes, you have spoken highly of this one before. I would like to meet it
in person one of these days. Unless I am tempted by it at the bare-root
season next year ... how big does it get for you?

Tradescant

Sometimes very fragrant, sometimes not at all

Gertrude Jekyll

Sometimes very fragrant, mostly slightly to moderately fragrant

Don Juan

Fragrant 1/2 the time

Tamora

Fragrant 1/4 the time

Do you see any correlation between roses' fragrance and amibient
humidity since you go from very dry to very humid ("monsoon?") times in
your place?

Florence Delattre

Fragrant when it blooms, which is not that often.

Ah, well. FD blooms much more than Sonia Rykiel for me. Too bad.

Others that are fragrant more often than not for me: 'Mirandy'
'Fragrant Cloud' 'Sweet Surrender' 'Sutter's Gold' 'Summer Fashion'
'Abraham Darby' 'Graham Thomas' 'Barbra Streisand' 'Fragrant Apricot'

Barbra Streisand, the rose, does not appear to do too well around here,
or so I am told. I have not met Mirandy, but the rest are quite fragrant
to my nose.

Just got Fragrant Cloud this year, and I know this will be one of
those by and by. This is one that you think fragrant too, right?

Sometimes you want to glue it to your nose, other times, nothing. Go
figure.

Interesting. We saw this at the Portland test garden, and both of us
could smell it some 10 feet away on that cloudy, cool and humid day.

--
Radika
California

Old 31-01-2003, 06:45 PM
Bob Bauer

Radika said:

'Sonia Rykiel'

How is this one doing for you? Mine is third year in the ground and is
not too vigorous in growth, and am seriously considering digging it up
and getting rid of it. I agree, the blossoms do smell wonderfuly well
though. Sigh ...

You are correct, a slow grower and a stingy bloomer, but what blooms
and what scent!

'Purple Passion'

Yes, you have spoken highly of this one before. I would like to meet it
in person one of these days. Unless I am tempted by it at the bare-root
season next year ... how big does it get for you?

5 feet tall relatively consistent bloomer. Needs good fertilization
for the great smell.

Tamora

Fragrant 1/4 the time

Do you see any correlation between roses' fragrance and amibient
humidity since you go from very dry to very humid ("monsoon?") times in
your place?

Best scent in the morning of days that don't get over 80 degrees F.
BUT the scent also declines if the weather is too cool.

DEFINITELY the scent is quickly evaporated on those 100 degree F, low
humidity dog days of summer.

Bob Bauer
Zone 6 in Salt Lake City

Old 02-02-2003, 06:33 AM
FOW

My Fragrant Cloud, is killer smelling !Try a David Austin, Cressida for
the ultimate fragrance. So strong ,I kinda get sick. REAL sweet smelling. I
think that East of the Rockies thing is right for a lot of roses. They smell
better in the West. Ha Ha !