Old 04-03-2004, 06:49 PM
Sandy

Default support for roses

I agree with you, Dave, about not pruning any branches. Now I'm curious
about why my rose blooms only once, with maybe a few intermittent blooms
later in the season. I'm thinking that maybe I should increase/change the
fertilizer applications. I've been using only Epson Salts for this purpose,
since I try to use only organic materials on my plants. My rose is against
the side of my garden shed with a Kousa Dogwood tree in front of the
rosebush. The rose has partially climbed onto the dogwood, similar to your
rose.
Your pictures are wonderful! Thanks. Sandy

Old 04-03-2004, 06:51 PM
dave weil

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:32:02 -0500, "Sandy" wrote:

I agree with you, Dave, about not pruning any branches. Now I'm curious
about why my rose blooms only once, with maybe a few intermittent blooms
later in the season. I'm thinking that maybe I should increase/change the
fertilizer applications. I've been using only Epson Salts for this purpose,
since I try to use only organic materials on my plants.

I wouldn't worry too much about it actually. There are supposedly both
kinds of climbers, once-blooming and ever-blooming. In fact, there's
some question as to whether they're both actually CB.

If all you are using is Epson Salts though, I'd recommend getting some
alfalfa meal, blood meal, bone meal and fish emulsion to augment.
Plus, a good heaping of compost is a good idea as well. Work all of
those well into the soil and put a light layer of mulch over all of
it.

I happen to use commercial fertilzers as well (Osmocote initially,
then the occasional Miracle-Gro type liquid periodically - I also add
more Osmocote about mid-way through the season). But that's something
that you have decided to forgo and that's cool. It probably won't
change the bloom cycle since that's probably genetically programmed in
your case. I wouldn't necessarily say this for all roses, but this
variety definitely has a once-blooming version, and that's probably
what you have.

My rose is against
the side of my garden shed with a Kousa Dogwood tree in front of the
rosebush. The rose has partially climbed onto the dogwood, similar to your
rose.
Your pictures are wonderful! Thanks. Sandy

Thanks, Sandy.

Old 04-03-2004, 06:57 PM
Sandy

I marked down the types of natural fertilizers that you mentioned. I'm going
to use them as soon as the weather warms up a bit here in Pa. Thanks. Sandy

Old 04-03-2004, 06:57 PM
Sandy

Old 05-03-2004, 02:12 AM
Dick Zielinski

Along this same line...

I started a new flower bed this year at the base of an old cherry
tree. Tree was planted back in the 1960's and is still alive but not
by much. My wife wants me to cut it down but it's the first tree I
planted and maybe it's ugly and there ain't no cherries no more... but
I want to keep it.

So I thought about planting a climbing rose at it's base. Didn't get
much help at the nursery... in fact they kinda stared at me like...
well you know.

So maybe someone here can help me. It needs to climb tall and go along
the branches... bloom all summer... not need to be pruned much...
don't like climbing ladders because I don't bounce to good anymore.

Come to think of it... maybe it don't got to be a rose... I guess
anything that accomplish my goal would be ok.

Dick