Old 14-03-2004, 08:37 AM
Dan Gannon

Default You're invited to my new Yahoo Group, "Fragrant Miniature Roses"

"Sunflower" wrote in message ...
Currently, I'm personally growing 9 varieties indoors. I'll be
growing more later. I don't think I need to personally grow all of
them, so I pick and choose among those that interest me most.

You do if you're going to describe them as fragrant. There is NO substitute
for personal experience. 9 varieties is hardly a representative sample of
the thousands of minis on the market. Second hand reportage of something as
ephemeral and individual as fragrance is misleading. Hybridizers and
marketers are notoriously optimistic in their glowing descriptive terms.
Marketing isn't fact. Nose sniffing in person is.

I do plan to smell them, as many as I can. I don't have to grow them,
in many cases, to do that. The reason is, within driving distance of
Portland, Oregon, there are many varieties already in gardens,
nurseries, etc. I presume that's one reason Portland is called "The
City of Roses."

For those varieties I don't get my nose that close to, I may select
trusted sources - not just relying on hybridizers' descriptions,
obviously. If I create a list of fragrant varieties in this way, I
anticipate the error rate will be very low, perhaps zero. There may
be disputes between some people along the lines of, "I detect a
moderate fragrance," "but I detect a mild fragrance," etc., and
fragrance varies according to environmental factors, but those issues
aren't primary concerns of mine.

The ARS doesn't evaluate minis. Individual growers of all kinds of roses
evaluate what they grow in RIR, and you don't have to be an ARS member to
participate. (Are you and ARS member and did you participate? And are you
a RHA member since you want to produce your own hybrids?) And the AOE, like
the AARS is a professional growers award, and doesn't have anything to do
with the public's evaluation of a mini as gardenworthy, disease resistant,
or scented. As far as the ARS folks go, the majority of office holders and
doers would be interested in a mini's show potential, which again doesn't
coincide with disease resistance or fragrance.

I'm not presently a member of any rose-related organizations. I just
have a personal interest. I'm not really interested in a rose's show
potential. Maybe I'll become interested someday, who knows...

Dan

Old 14-03-2004, 08:44 AM
Dan Gannon

Hi Marshall,

You're most welcome.

You could try drying the foliage more quickly indoors by using heat
(including from artificial lights) and/or fans. I wouldn't overdo
either, though. Another thing I've done, to remove excess moisture
after spraying, is to gently tap or shake the foliage, even tapping
individual leaves.

Please inform us of your results, if you try any of it. I know I'm
interested.

Dan

(Marshall Dermer) wrote in message ...
In article
(Dan Gannon) writes:
I've heard that some people have used dilute hydrogen peroxide as a
foliar spray, to prevent or treat fungus. If I tried that, I'd put
the plant outdoors in a sunny location so it could dry quickly.

Well, I live in Milwaukee and in the winter the temp is too low
to bring the roses outdoors. I have tried spraying them with
a solution of aloe and the dilute hydrogen peroxide solution
sounds interesting. I will use google groups to see if others
have talked about this.

Thanks very much Dan!

--Marshall

Old 14-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Sunflower

"Dan Gannon" wrote in message
om...
"Sunflower" wrote in message

[...]

Rose fragrance can change depending on which season it is, what time of day
it is, how mature a bush is, and to some extent, diet. A one time sniff
test can be misleading. Growing a rose for at least 3 years not only gives
you insight into how those variables change things, it also is a must if you
really want to hybridize roses. You need to know first hand which set hips.
Which ones don't. Which ones have better than average disease resistance.
And a host of other things

For those varieties I don't get my nose that close to, I may select
trusted sources - not just relying on hybridizers' descriptions,
obviously. If I create a list of fragrant varieties in this way, I
anticipate the error rate will be very low, perhaps zero. There may
be disputes between some people along the lines of, "I detect a
moderate fragrance," "but I detect a mild fragrance," etc., and
fragrance varies according to environmental factors, but those issues
aren't primary concerns of mine.

That's another issue with fragrance. Each and every person has a different
ability to detect scents and some folks cannot smell certain scents at all.
Some people actually *enjoy* the "myrrh" scent of many David Austin roses.
I sniff them and I gag. Plenty of people cannot smell even "light" rose
scents and need a heavy scent to be able to detect it. A highly
discriminating nose is a valuable commodity, but only one out of 300
thousand or so people are born with the ability to detect a large number of
scents. Get 10 "average" people to sniff the same rose, and you'll get 10
different descriptions of the essense and the strength of what they sniff.
It's like wine tasteing.

[...]

THe majority of ARS members are not interested in showing roses either.
Just the higher ups and the doers and office holders. That's the only
people they can get to do the work. Becoming a member of the ARS just puts
you in touch with a lot of information on a wide variety of roses which
allowes you to have a well rounded background--an absolute necessity in a
hybridizer. Membership in the Rose Hybridizers Association also should be a
must. The education they provide beginning hybridizers is invaluable. If
you don't understand ploidy in roses or other basic rose genetics, then you
definately need to get their little cram packed beginners booklet.

Dan

Old 15-03-2004, 09:09 PM
Susan H. Simko

Kirra wrote:

Actually Susan, Yahoo groups do not have to be used as mailing lists. When
you sign up to a group you can select to only read the messages online
rather than have the emails sent to you. I do this with a couple of Yahoo
groups and it allows me to read/contribute as much or as little I like as
time allows. In fact, I don't think you even have to be a member of this
particular group to read the posts.

I know. I own and manage several as part of my job here at the
university. Personally, I don't like the way Yahoo handles mail on
their website so I always think of it as a list serve not as a
quasi-newsgroup. It's just personal preferences. Besides, I have a
hard enough time getting to the newsgroups I want to read (here,
triangle.gardens, triangle.dining and rec.ponds) without adding any more.

Susan
shsimko[@]duke[.]edu

Old 15-03-2004, 10:11 PM
Susan H. Simko

Shiva wrote:

Know what, Susan? My AUSTINS were the ones that held up to the
pestilence last year. And nearly all of them are on their own roots,
as are minis. Coincidence? I think not!

I'm still amazed at the die off you had last year. I may have lost
leaves to blackspot but thankfully no plants.

Well we're glad you drop in when you do, Susan. What do you have
planned re new roses this year?

Just put in a J&P Heirloom over the weekend. It's protection and
headstone for our little Smokey the Hamster who died of old age at two +
over the weekend.

I'm planning on putting in one more and am hemming an hawing between
Desest Peace and Barbra Streisand. I just can't make up my mind on
this! *laugh* Part of me just wants to order both but I really don't
know *where* I would put the second one. My partner has forbidden any
more flower beds in the yard and I tend to agree with the thought at the
moment. The Heirloom and which ever one I decide upon are each being
put between two bushes at the back corners of our yard. I can't
completely wall off the back with roses as I have blue bird houses that
need periodic cleaning and bird feeders that need to be fed and I have
no desire to don a coat of armor to get through the thorns to get to
them. *grin*

Susan
shsimko[@]duke[.]edu

Old 15-03-2004, 10:41 PM
dave weil

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 16:13:33 -0500, "Susan H. Simko"
wrote:

I'm planning on putting in one more and am hemming an hawing between
Desest Peace and Barbra Streisand. I just can't make up my mind on
this!

DESERT PEACE! DESERT PEACE!

For here's what you're going to miss if you don't get it:

http://www.pbase.com/image/20033644

And this:

http://www.pbase.com/image/20033595

And this:

http://www.pbase.com/image/20065754

In fact, just go to this page:

http://www.pbase.com/teleburst/roses&page=4

Yes, DP does have a tendency to blackspot a bit. But the incredible
variation of coloration, the long lasting blooms and prolific blooming
more than makes up for it.