Old 12-03-2004, 08:27 PM
kumar varadan

Default Rose bush sizes

Found a nursery "
"kumar varadan" wrote in message
I could not find White Lightin' in nurseries in Ausitn, TX. Also tried

some
on line stores. No luck. Do somebody know of some on line store where I

can
get White Lightin? (Other roses I have decided to get this year
are Hot cocoa, Fragrant Cloud and Vetrens honor).

-Kumar

"kumar varadan" wrote in message
Hi Shiva,

Thanks. I already have Europeana. Yes, Europena is one of the best rose
bushes I have.
But mine grows to around 4-4.5 feet. Do I have to maintain it at 3' when
dead heading?
What about Gene Boerner? That also grows to about 5'. I am planning to

add
some
more red and white. Let me check out White Lightnin' and Scentiemental.
I am also planning to get Fragrant cloud and Hot cocoa.

-Kumar

"Shiva" wrote in message

news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.c11dde7577cb074e7c5886f6a841441a @1078940661.nulluser.com...
kumar varadan wrote:

Different nursery's web page say different sizes for JFK and

Fragrant
Cloud.
I am in Zone 9 and like to get ideas. I am looking for rose bushes

(red
and
white)
that are not more than 3-4 feet tall.

It does not get any better than Europeana for a red floribunda.

Wonderful
bushy shape, never out
of bloom, perfect clear red color and stayed at 3 feet here in Zone 7.

Little to know fragrance fo
my nose but some say it does have fragrance. Best fragrant white rose

that
blooms in sprays and
stays at about 3-4 feet here is White Lightnin'. Fabulous lemony

scented
rose, stays in bloom,
laughs at disease, out vigors fungus, even. I also love Scentiemental

for
its fragrance and
totally unique blooms of stripey, brush strokey burgundy and white,

but
it
blows if you look at it
two hard. I grow three.

Old 12-03-2004, 08:27 PM
Radika

kumar varadan wrote:
Different nursery's web page say different sizes for JFK and Fragrant
Cloud. I am in Zone 9 and like to get ideas.

In my Zone 9, JFK gets about 6 to 7 feet tall and nearly as big all
around (after about three years in the ground, budded - not own-root,
ageing to about ten years or so). The only set of Fragrant Cloud
specimens (a sample of may be 5 or 6 plants) that I have seen in my zone
were about two years old, they were some 5 feet tall and 5 feet wide,
and I have no idea how big FC will get ultimately. I have the impression
that with both JFK and FC, it might be possible to prune and keep them
around 5 feet all around without damage to their performance. However,
that is just an educated guess, not an answer from real experience.

I am looking for rose bushes (red and white) that are not more than
3-4 feet tall.

One Tea rose that stays compact, has the loveliest red colour and the
fragrance to break a susceptible heart is Francis Dubreuil. Here is a
link for it from a would-be seller:

http://www.uncommonrose.biz/r/francisdubreuil.html

Mine is about three years old, and is certainly staying around three feet.

Your best bets might be among the China roses or Hybrid China roses.
They tend to stay small even in this very mild climate where anything
with a hint of R. gigantea genes tends to get gigantic. One good thing
about your (as well as my) mild climate is that you (we) can grow the
China roses (as well as Tea roses) with relative ease, for these are not
terribly cold-hardy roses.

I grow Eugene de Beauharnaise - among what one might call 'red' roses,
and really love this rose which also stays compact and beautiful.

Incidentally, you might try Ashdown Roses - they are having a sale right
now, and they tend to be very helpful in answering questions. Also, they
might have more suggestions as might be suitable for a hot and humid
climate than I with my mildly hot and mostly dry climate can think of
(IIRC, you grow roses in Texas or in a Texas-like climate, which is very
different from my Zone 9 climate).

Sorry, I have no suggestion on small shrubs of white roses - am not too
fond of white roses, with reds, mauves and yellows are more my colour
preference in roses.

Oh, here is a link to the China Roses at Ashdown:
http://www.ashdownroses.com/ogrthumb...lass&class=HCh
Their e-mail address is , and their toll-free
number is 877-ASHDOWN.

All the best.

--
Radika
California

Old 12-03-2004, 08:27 PM
kumar varadan

Found a nursery "Galbraith's" which sels white lightin and other roses I
need.
Does anybody know how is this nursery?

-Kumar

Old 13-03-2004, 04:43 PM
Shiva

kumar varadan wrote:

Hi Shiva,

Thanks. I already have Europeana. Yes, Europena is one of the best rose
bushes I have. But mine grows to around 4-4.5 feet. Do I have to maintain it at 3' when
dead heading?

Ooo, hmm, I guess that is the difference in our climates. Mine
never exceeded three feet, even at four years old. This makes me
worry about my recommendation of White Lightnin'. Sorry, I
guess you need advice from someone in your zone.

What about Gene Boerner? That also grows to about 5'.

I don't grow this one.

I am also planning to get Fragrant cloud and Hot cocoa.

If only I could love the color of FC, it would be perfect.
A friend grows it, and what a great fragrance and form!!

Hot cocoa I love too. I might just need to get that one
this year.